• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Carlos Rodriguez- The Next Great Rodriguez Discussion Thread

How good will Carlos Rodriguez be?

• A wasted talent

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Small Race Winner

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Consistent Climber

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Fighting for GT breakaway wins

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • WT Stage Race Winner

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • GT Winner

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Better than Pogacar

Votes: 4 10.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Carlos Rodriguez- The Next Great Rodriguez
Born in Almunecar, Spain, he's showed immense talent throughout his young career. In 2018, he won the MJ ITT championship in Spain, 3rd in MJ European Championships on the road,6th in Paris Roubaix Juniors, and won the points and youth classification at Tour de Gironde International. In 2019, he kept the MJ ITT Championship in Spain, won GC at Tour de Gironde International, and won Gipuzkoa Klasika over Juan Ayuso. In 2020 he jumped to the WT, signing for Ineos. His first season on the UCI World Tour did not go well, as his best result was 14th at the European Championships at the U23 level. In 2021, his level went up a notch, with a fourth place overall at Vuelta a Andalucia, 7th at GP Industria & Artigianato, 10th GC at Tour of Britain, 3rd ITT at Spain NC's, and a stage win, 2nd overall, and first in KOM and Youth Classifications at the Tour De Avenir.

So far in 2022, he's finished 3rd and 2nd in the two most important GC stages at Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana, sits 3rd, 36 seconds down of leader Aleksandr Vlasov and 4 seconds behind Remco Evenepoel, and sits above established riders like Jakob Fuglsang, Alejandro Valverde, Giulio Ciccone, and others.

One can only hope for more great things for Carlos in 2022 and beyond
FIAbnCsX0AUpf3F

Last edited:
I agree the development there is excellent, but I’m thinking about the limited opportunities there for him.
I think with Ineos the opportunities depend entirely on the riders. I’ve read the same thing in the past about Carapaz, Adam Yates who would struggle to get opportunities due to the presence of guys like Froome, Thomas, Bernal etc.

If you are better than the guy next to you at Ineos you get the opportunities. And as a bonus you get an incredible team to help you when you are the best in the race for them.

Of course Rodriguez will have to reach a very high level, but it has worked for many. Even a guy like Martinez seems to be in for more of a leadership role now after some great performances.

TRENDING THREADS