• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cav the Hammer the Rest the Nails

SpartacusRox

BANNED
May 6, 2010
Visit site
I think today Cav showed just why he is the best sprinter of his generation. He truly was the hammer and he made the others look like club sprinters.

The scary thing is that he will just get better because, as the naysayers have said many times, he still has a lot to learn.

He has shown in this Tour that with a train or without a train he is a cut above the rest. Good on him!:)

Uhm we already knew that (the first sentence)

And the naysayers weren't doubting he is the best sprinter. They were doubting if he could get back to his 2009 shape. Because for most of 2010, even the fanboys must agree Cavendish didn't look even close to as good as 2009.

He was struggling pretty badly and looked out of form for most of the season.
Good for him that he refound his form in this Tour de France.

Still no reason to suddenly claim nobody thought he was the best sprinter of his generation. I think that's a commonly accepted fact.

SpartacusRox

BANNED
May 6, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Uhm we already knew that (the first sentence)

And the naysayers weren't doubting he is the best sprinter. They were doubting if he could get back to his 2009 shape. Because for most of 2010, even the fanboys must agree Cavendish didn't look even close to as good as 2009.

He was struggling pretty badly and looked out of form for most of the season.
Good for him that he refound his form in this Tour de France.

Still no reason to suddenly claim nobody thought he was the best sprinter of his generation. I think that's a commonly accepted fact.

I think it is disingenuous for you to claim that. It may be a commonly accepted fact. It may be for you and indeed me, but not for many.

If you take a look through some of the posts from early in the tour, there were plenty who were saying stuff like..."he is just an average sprinter with a good leadout train".

A lot of riders get slagged of on these forums, my post was merely to salute a young guy who does his talking on the road (as well as with his mouth)

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
14 wins in 3 TDF's... amazing!!! Seems he is always singled out and given the harshest treatment. It must be really hard at the top...

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Obeeone said:
14 wins in 3 TDF's... amazing!!! Seems he is always singled out and given the harshest treatment. It must be really hard at the top...

Who is the standard bearer for stage wins in the TdF history?

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
scribe said:
Who is the standard bearer for stage wins in the TdF history?

Mercx of course... with 34. He had two years with 8 in a single year.
Then comes Hinault with 28.
Leducq/Frantz/Armstron with 25.

If Cav could average 3 a year until he's 30... he'll still be 5 short of Eddy. He could get there... but he'll have to keep this pace up for a few more years.

SpartacusRox

BANNED
May 6, 2010
Visit site
How many other sprinters have achieved a record of 14 wins in their first three tours? I ask as a genuine question, I have no idea if it has been done before.

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
SpartacusRox said:
How many other sprinters have achieved a record of 14 wins in their first three tours? I ask as a genuine question, I have no idea if it has been done before.

LOL - At first glance I thought your post read:

"How many other sphincters have achieved a record of 14 wins in their first three tours?"

Then I realized you're giving him props so that couldn't be the right word. Thanks for the inadvertent laugh—carry on! ;)