• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cav's leadout issues

Since leaving perhaps the best leadout train of all time in HTC-Highroad at the end of 2011 Cav's had problems with his train, whether it's Sky deciding against signing Mark Renshaw and then half his train disappearing into the velodrome and then a lack of support at the tour, although I will state that when Sky did throw their weight fully behind Cav that was an instructional video on how to leadout a sprinter in Paris.

Then this year on several occasions the OPQS train has gone to pot at just the wrong time, particularly during the tour and Lotto-Belisol and Argos-Shimano beat them to death on at least one occasion each during the tour. Although during the Giro they won every sprint going.

If you were running OPQS how would try to fix these problems?

they cant 'fix' the problem. OPQS will never be a 100% leadout train for cav like argos is for kittel. you have to compromise. kittel looks to be the fastest sprinter now anyway, but of course cav can still win many races but prob not so many in tour de france as in the past

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Last year it was mostly just a case of not having the support at Sky. This year he has had much better support, but there is still work to do on the train. I think having Renshaw back can greatly help, although I'm not sure how Renshaw and Petacchi would fit together. But there's no point in trying to get their train to the level of the HTC train. Don't think he'll ever have a train of that level again. Especially with Uran going for GC next year. Greipel and Kittel having trains completely dedicated to them already gives them an advantage. Cav might need a change of tactics and make more use of others teams trains instead of relying on his own.

I do wonder though if Cav is losing speed. Kittel beat him pretty soundly a few times in the Tour. Time will tell on that one.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
You throw a full train behind Cav and you might not win anymore sprints against Kittel and Greipel but you probably throw away the other 2 wins OPQS had at the tour this year. Personally I'm a big fan of how OPQS rides and also a big fan of sprints actually being a toss up now. I know Cav would have liked to have won more but I bet he'd tell you that winning stage 13 was more rewarding than your typical flat stage and you don't do that without a bunch of super hard classics guys in front of you.

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Subway talk

He'd need Renkshaw AND Eisel. The latter, the brain behind it all, was dissed' by SKY at the Tour. It's time for him to change gears. OP/QS..........need a Gran*Capitán; a humble guy who'd be keen to sacrifice on behalf of others.

Afrank said:
Last year it was mostly just a case of not having the support at Sky. This year he has had much better support, but there is still work to do on the train. I think having Renshaw back can greatly help, although I'm not sure how Renshaw and Petacchi would fit together. But there's no point in trying to get their train to the level of the HTC train. Don't think he'll ever have a train of that level again. Especially with Uran going for GC next year. Greipel and Kittel having trains completely dedicated to them already gives them an advantage. Cav might need a change of tactics and make more use of others teams trains instead of relying on his own.

I do wonder though if Cav is losing speed. Kittel beat him pretty soundly a few times in the Tour. Time will tell on that one.

I don't think Petacchi will be at tour next year I suspect Steegmans will be Matt Goss and Renshaw will be himself.

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
i also wonder if they were not losing a lot of energy by trying to control the stages from a bit too far out
at this year's tour de france, i think lotto and argos tended to be only visible in the last few kilometres

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
No team now even comes close to the HTC train, they would control the break, reel in the break, force the pace in the final 10km and execute a perfect leadout. They had unbelieveable talent to do that, and a rich vein of form.
Argos are not even close, de kort is a superb pilot fish/leadout, the rest of the team is committed, but not strong enough. Got it right once through team spirit as far as I'm concerned. Lotto is the team with the runs on the board at the moment, but that is only in the final 10 after the break comes back. Though they appear more impressive in small races.
I think cycling has changed and until it changes again we won't see another HTC.
OPQS with Renshaw should do just fine. Pull the break back, and give the final 10km to lotto, and let Renshaw and Cav use Lotto's train. If Renshaw can't position you for a sprint no one can.

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
MatParker117 said:
Since leaving perhaps the best leadout train of all time in HTC-Highroad at the end of 2011 Cav's had problems with his train, whether it's Sky deciding against signing Mark Renshaw and then half his train disappearing into the velodrome and then a lack of support at the tour, although I will state that when Sky did throw their weight fully behind Cav that was an instructional video on how to leadout a sprinter in Paris.

Then this year on several occasions the OPQS has gone to pot at just the wrong time, particularly during the tour and Lotto-Belisol and Argos-Shimano beat them to death on at least one occasion each during the tour. Although during the Giro they won every sprint going.

If you were running OPQS how would try to fix these problems?

Much talk of messers Renshaw and Pettachi joining OPQS, that would certainly help re establish a strong lead out train.
But during the recent tdf Cav misfired and even got overtaken during a lunge for the line. That was Cavs problem not OPQS. But before we start shouting the king is dead long live the king and place the burden for future glory on the shoulders of Kietel, lets remember that Cav rode the Giro, Did he leave a little of his legendry explosive finish in the dolomites, if so next year the Manxman might just be lean mean and looking for revenge.

May 22, 2013
Visit site
kingjr said:
Argos haven't done one good leadout until the last stage.

Actually you are wrong. Argos did several good leadouts.
A good lo is bringing your sprinter in a winning position. A winning position can also be in the wheel of Greipel or Cav.

There are several interviews after winning how they planned to do the sprint.
- first stage: argos was happy about lo. Final was very hectic. They had to change lo roles constantly and had to use up early their resources to keep the pack intact. Kittel was in good position against much weeker sprinters.
- Sagan won stage. Degenkolb was in perfect position in Sagans wheel. Degenkolb made mistake then to go early.
- Greipel should have won stage. Again veelers was in Greipel wheel and kittel behind cav. Not the best lo but good enough for kittel to win.
- Kittel vs Cav stage. Argos had planned to do a push till last corner and for veelers to deliver kittel behind cav or greipel. Veelers was injured so de Kort took over that role delivering kittel in cavs wheel.
- Paris stage. Everybody knows you have to be in perfect position in last bend and kittel was.

Argos plans every stage perfectly with a scientist. They also analysed Greipel, Cav strong points.
quote from de Kort. We might not have the most horsepower like a Tony Martin but we are a better team.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
As far as pure leadouts go, i don't think that we will ever have an HTC Highroad again. That magical team came up with 50+ victories in a single season. their 4-5 damn good sprinters in a single train might never happen again. The argos and the lotto trains lack the predatory instinct. The current trains cant play with escapees, catch them at will and deliver their lead sprinter by whim.

xanadu said:
during the recent tdf Cav misfired and even got overtaken during a lunge for the line.

strange to see 2 ridiculous examples to say Cav is losing touch. The instances where cav didn't win involved a crash or a puncture. Stage 5 of tdf should be considered as example of his capablity. in paris, despite the puncture, he could have still come second but for that rear wheel leaving ground. Cav still has a better kill rate than cheetah.

the lo issue for the opqs train almost always is because of putting too much effort too early. Also, there were a number of instances where Cav was left to do too much work.
Renshaw brings in two things: delivers Cav at a good place(he deals with veelers-like incidents); and he can continue with sprint to take away points from his opponents.
I hope for a martin/chava/tepstra-steegmans-petacchi-renshaw-cav

xanadu said:
But before we start shouting the king is dead long live the king and place the burden for future glory on the shoulders of Kietel, lets remember that Cav rode the Giro, Did he leave a little of his legendry explosive finish in the dolomites, if so next year the Manxman might just be lean mean and looking for revenge.

Personally I believe this is the reason for his slightly below-average performance in the Tour. He did mention he would have a rethink about doing the Giro in the future however he does love Italy and that race. He is having to push himself for 3 hard weeks while his sprint rivals are just building form ready for France.

Of course OPQS were not perfect but this will improve with Renshaw and Pettachi. They don't have to do a super lead out like HTC used to but at least get him to the front 3/4 inside the last few hundred metres.

TRENDING THREADS