• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cav's leadout man?

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Now that the saga of cav to sky is finalised, just wondered who people thought would mainly be cav's leadout man. For me there will be some guys who will do it sometimes, but there will likely be one guy who will become his new renshaw. Geraint Thomas may do it the odd time, but he has his own targets, EBH also. Eisel will most likely be the next to last man as he was at htc, but could also do it. The most likely for me is Sutton or Swift, but think it will be Sutton.

Absolutely every rider on the squad other than Mark Cavendish will be deployed somewhere in the leadout at some point in the season. I suspect in the biggest races EBH and Eisel will be the main helpers (depending on whether Thomas does the Tour with the Olympics following). Swift and Sutton may well help out at the smaller races. Appollonio is mighty quick too, so don't be surprised to see him figure in a few races as well.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
I agree with you OP, apart from the Swift bit. It won't be Swift.

I've said before that Sutton will be the new Renshaw, but I'm now not so sure that Sky can take both Sutton and Eisel to the Tour.

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
I always thought Thomas 1st choice Sutton 2nd. EBH struggles in positioning.

struggle to see more than one of EBH and Thomas and Sutton in tour team. in fact looking at list of riders and struggling to see exact tour team at all. at least 11 riders i would pick as definite choices.

will be an interesting year next year

A

Anonymous

Eisel, then either G or Sutton.

Theres no way they will let Eddie do a leadout, hes guaranteed to get Cav lost in the middle of the bunch somewhere, his positioning is bizarre.

Swift will get the races cav doesnt want and the hillier one week races as will appo-jet.

G and Sutton will then get to do their own thing in the sprint classics and late in the season.

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure all of the above will do it at some point. In the Tour if Thomas isn't there it'll be EBH. Getting to the front is a lot different than following someone to the front.

I believe EBH has led out just twice for Sky. A win for Henderson at Eneco, and a win for Sutton in KBK.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I know what you mean about EBH positioning, but then you don't win a stage in the TdF by chance. The day before his win, he also looked great - but just went too early.
Geraint reminds me a little of Millar in the leadout - in that he's so focussed on getting through that he doesn't see what's going on behind.

Either way, they've got strength in depth and a little fine tuning is all it will take. The motivation for that fine tuning has just arrived.

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
thing that upsets me most is having Sutton, Henderson, Hayman, Swift or Eddie this season you never knew who would start sprints (or do lead-outs) in different races... since 2012 it'll be obvious :(

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
To prepare for the Olympics, Sky will probably want to practice with a Brit, but not GT as he will be riding the track. That is unless they expect a five man team to be burned up ahead of the final k

Apart from Swift, I'm not sure who could do the job. Does Dowsett have sufficient pace?

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
GT blogs about Cav on BBC site here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/geraintthomas/2011/10/cavendish_joins_team_sky.html

lots of comments re the main issues, including this quote re the leadout:
I don't think his arrival will change my responsibilities within the team too much. I will still have a key role to play, especially in the Classics. And whenever it comes to a sprint finish, we always try to set up our sprinter, so why not lead out the best?

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Morbius said:
To prepare for the Olympics, Sky will probably want to practice with a Brit, but not GT as he will be riding the track. That is unless they expect a five man team to be burned up ahead of the final k

Apart from Swift, I'm not sure who could do the job. Does Dowsett have sufficient pace?

He led out Phinney when they were both at Trek-Livestrong, so he's had some practice. Don't know if he's quick enough yet, though.

Heard G described a few of times (by his own team and the British media) as 'the best lead-out man in the world', so I'd reckon he'd be first choice. Since he won't be doing the Tour though, I'd guess EBH from the likely Tour squad.

TeamSkyFans said:
Theres no way they will let Eddie do a leadout, hes guaranteed to get Cav lost in the middle of the bunch somewhere, his positioning is bizarre.
Very bizarre, such as on champs elysees where he was on Cav's wheel through the last corner, I mean who wants to be in that position :rolleyes:

TeamSkyFans said:
Eisel, then either G or Sutton.

Swift will get the races cav doesnt want and the hillier one week races as will appo-jet.

G and Sutton will then get to do their own thing in the sprint classics and late in the season.

Appo-Jet? These lame 'nicknames' need to go, starting with this one which is really someone elses with a couple of letters changed!

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
bobbins said:
Appo-Jet? These lame 'nicknames' need to go, starting with this one which is really someone elses with a couple of letters changed!

Appo-Jet? Sounds like a toilet cleaning liquid circa 1993.
:cool:

Eissel will be second in line in the leadout till handing over to the G-Man (Thomas).

Eisel is not the choice for last lead out. He belongs earlier in the train. Sutton is the most skilled lead out Sky has. He seems to be the best at getting the timing right etc. Geraint Thomas is getting better and better at leading out as well but Sutton is still faster and with Geraints strength over a longer distance he is a better choice for taking the last train spot before the final lead out, starting at perhaps the 1000m mark and handing off to the final leadout at 400 meters to go.

For the Tour where the spots are limited I would put Geraint and EBH as the specific helpers for Cav. Other than that you could have riders like Siutsou and Rogers to help with the train in the final kms, even Wiggins has said he would help in the end. Taking Eisel to the Tour would be a waste I think since he is too much of a single assignment guy. It's better to focus on riders that can be of use both in the flat stages and in the mountains for Wiggins and Eisel would only be useful on the flats.

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Thomas is pure horsepower. He does't seem to consistently know what gaps someone on his wheel will be able to follow him through, but when he gets it perfectly he delivers better than anyone on the roster. Cav is not quite as passive as EBH, and I'd bank on him making it through smaller holes than those EBH would even consider going through.

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
ingsve said:
Eisel is not the choice for last lead out. He belongs earlier in the train. Sutton is the most skilled lead out Sky has. He seems to be the best at getting the timing right etc. Geraint Thomas is getting better and better at leading out as well but Sutton is still faster and with Geraints strength over a longer distance he is a better choice for taking the last train spot before the final lead out, starting at perhaps the 1000m mark and handing off to the final leadout at 400 meters to go.

For the Tour where the spots are limited I would put Geraint and EBH as the specific helpers for Cav. Other than that you could have riders like Siutsou and Rogers to help with the train in the final kms, even Wiggins has said he would help in the end. Taking Eisel to the Tour would be a waste I think since he is too much of a single assignment guy. It's better to focus on riders that can be of use both in the flat stages and in the mountains for Wiggins and Eisel would only be useful on the flats.

I think Eisel would be the one dead cert for the tour with Cav as road captaing and also while everyone else are helping Wiggins and Frome in the mountains Bernie is the one to get Cav through these stages as seen this year.