• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

Cipollini Blood Transfusions 2002

May 6, 2010
146
0
0
Cipollini's magical season of 2002 involved reinfusions of blood prior to his major victories according to Operacion Puerto documents analyzed by La Gazzetta dello Sport.

The highlights:
Cipo reinfused blood 3 days before his Milan-San Remo victory
Cipo reinfused blood 4 days before his World Championship victory
Cipo followed Fuentes' program for four years, 2001-2004

http://www.gazzetta.it/Ciclismo/09-02-2013/esclusiva-doping-cipollini-ecco-carte-che-accusano-914207746647.shtml

http://deportes.elpais.com/deportes/2013/02/09/actualidad/1360368971_649158.html
 
Mar 29, 2011
4,283
0
0
No wonder. Obviously someone has copies of the files too. But why the info is given so selectively? :confused:
 
Nov 10, 2009
1,398
0
0
Love the Scenery said:
Cipollini's magical season of 2002 involved reinfusions of blood prior to his major victories according to Operacion Puerto documents analyzed by La Gazzetta dello Sport.
Why am I not surprised?
 
Any winner of a major event was doping. It was impossible to win without assistance. It doesn't matter in which discipline.

PS: The end of Andrea Monti's opinion article in La Gazzetta dello Sport quite rightly asks how's it possible that among the 7000 pages of the OP report only an Italian, and never a Spanish, name has been recognized at this current stage? Is it conceivable that thus far the only Spanish rider (Valverde) condemned, was only achieved by the greatly merited efforts of Italy's CONI? From the terrible list all that's slowly emerging, but with great fatigue, from the Fuentes files is the football team Real Sociedad's involvement, in other words little fish. Is it still credible that the only culpable are cyclists? Finally how's it possible that only La Gazzetta, with the enormous weight that this bears, has been able to uncover from a document a well-known telephone number? Come on judges, investigators and colleagues of other nations: let's get to the bottom of this and stop taking us for a ride.
 
May 27, 2010
17
0
0
I find it quite baffling that even these Italian superstars had to go to Spain to get their dope. To what after reading Tyler's book is just an amateur doctor

I think PNTNI was also among Fuentes' clients.
 
Pancreas said:
I find it quite baffling that even these Italian superstars had to go to Spain to get their dope. To what after reading Tyler's book is just an amateur doctor

I think PNTNI was also among Fuentes' clients.
Blood transfusions are serious business. An unscrupulous doctor may not have any second thoughts prescribing a healthy athlete cortisone, testosterone or even EPO, but there's so much that can get wrong with transfusions. It could actually be very difficult to find someone to do it for you. Humanplasma had clients from all over Europe too...
 
Mar 10, 2009
5,918
0
0
Another one for determination over legal processes. I hope the ball keeps rolling till all the code names are identified, beating T&R./
 
Pancreas said:
I find it quite baffling that even these Italian superstars had to go to Spain to get their dope. To what after reading Tyler's book is just an amateur doctor

I think PNTNI was also among Fuentes' clients.
Well Ferrari was technically banned from working with athletes in I think 2004, whereas a number of other Italian doctors were being investigated and remember the early decade Giro raids. The Spanish environment had thus already been established as much more congenial to being medically assisted, which Hamilton also indicated, given that nobody was investigating at the time. For the Italians there may also have been just the "exotic" appeal to working with gli spagnoli, as if were simply all the rage at the time.
 
Mar 19, 2009
2,235
0
0
Throwing some foreign stars under the bus to see if the powers that be really want more to get out, only to hear about the Spanish athletes among them?

Amazes me that Cipo couldn't get local help.

What's next? Fuentes having been in touch with UCI to make clear they better not obstruct him, or else he'll tell what he knows? Would not surprise me.
 
Mar 17, 2009
1,745
0
0
Cloxxki said:
Throwing some foreign stars under the bus to see if the powers that be really want more to get out, only to hear about the Spanish athletes among them?

Amazes me that Cipo couldn't get local help.

What's next? Fuentes having been in touch with UCI to make clear they better not obstruct him, or else he'll tell what he knows? Would not surprise me.
After the situation with Valverde I doubt the Italians dare shield one of their own. Besides, Cippolini retired in 2005, albeit with a brief comeback in 2008. Unless there's evidence from that short period, he's beyond the SOL.
 
May 26, 2010
19,530
0
0
Cipollini should have the opportunity to do a 'tell all' about his career or be thrown out of the sport forever.
 
Jun 20, 2009
626
0
0
Pancreas said:
I find it quite baffling that even these Italian superstars had to go to Spain to get their dope. To what after reading Tyler's book is just an amateur doctor

I think PNTNI was also among Fuentes' clients.
Not baffling at all - doping was criminalised in Italy and France at the time but not in Spain (may still not be there?). A short flight beats jail time, just ask the Festina boys and Millar etc
 
May 26, 2010
19,530
0
0
laziali said:
Not baffling at all - doping was criminalised in Italy and France at the time but not in Spain (may still not be there?). A short flight beats jail time, just ask the Festina boys and Millar etc
Girona is a good place to 'train'..........
 
Mar 18, 2009
715
0
0
Maria... I just met a doper named... Maria (sorry).

Mario is probably wishing he'd gone with his alternate dream-profession of porn star right about now, if only because now porn stars are lot more respectable than bike racers.
 
May 26, 2010
19,530
0
0
Was talking to a friend who is from Lucca, he said this wont be news. In all the disco's 20 years ago the cyclists were the guys to go to for drugs.
 
Mar 19, 2009
2,235
0
0
ultimobici said:
After the situation with Valverde I doubt the Italians dare shield one of their own. Besides, Cippolini retired in 2005, albeit with a brief comeback in 2008. Unless there's evidence from that short period, he's beyond the SOL.
I meant the Spanish throwing a foreigner under the bus to dissuade other nations to ask more, and put pressure domestically, considering Fuentes helped a lot of soccer players. If cyling is big in Spain, you can't imagine how big soccer is. People in the streets actually care about soccer. See what the national team won lately.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS