• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Clasica Ciclista San Sebastian 2009

Nein Contador and no L.Armstrong.

http://startlist.cyclingfever.com/startlist.html?_p=startlijst&sw_i=z&jaar=2009&maand=8&id=19128

Shleck brothers should mix it up if they're not just there for the sun and tapas.

Is EuroSport taking coverage? Please.

Valverde should win the finish line.

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:

http://startlist.cyclingfever.com/startlist.html?_p=startlijst&sw_i=z&jaar=2009&maand=8&id=19128

Shleck brothers should mix it up if they're not just there for the sun and tapas.

nope it appears eurosport is covering tour of polange (poland) instead should be a good race though minus days of our lives

thehog said:

expect changes to that line up

May 6, 2009
Visit site
On CN Contador is down as starting, but I don't think that will be happening. If Allan Davis is there at the finish, I would like to see him sprint for the win. Unless he has been drinking too much Bundy Rum.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
AC is riding a criterium here in Holland tonight - Stiphout - don't imagine that fits in with riding SS on Saturday. Incidentally, Schleklet won last night's traditional first criterium in Boxmeer, Frank came third.

For me the favourite for this classic is Alejandro Valverde. He is rested and he surely wants to win, because of all it's happening to him. Also with the Vuelta approaching, he's with good form. And if the arrival to the finish he's a good sprinter, better than those who arrive with him in this type of classics.

Besides Valverde, there's also Kim Kirchen with good form from the Tour and hungry for victories, since he missed the ardennes classics. He's also a good sprinter, and has always a strong team to support him.

Janez Braijkovic from Astana will have a thing to say in this classic, I think. He was good in Giro di Lombardia last year, achieving a second place behind Cunego. But of course you can always argue that the field in last year race was weak.

In Liquigas we have the three from the Tour has the liders for this race. But I see Vincenzo Nibali with greater chances. Then in Quick-Step, there's Allan Davis if he could make the final, which I believe he can. But if he can't, there's Sylvan Chavanel and Carlos Barredo. From Katyusha, you have Sergey Ivanov, the winner of Amstel Gold Race and he'll have a role in this race.

Then, there's Saxo-Bank with Schleck brother's and Kolobnev, who allways performs well in the second half of the season. He was second last year in this race and I see him as a favourite.

Also the other favourites are, Oscar Freire, Cadel Evans, Cunego, Nocentini, Duque, Fabian Wegmann. All good names that will be there for the final.

Finally, the big question mark for this race, for me, is Juan Jose Cobo. I don't know where he stands form wise. He hasn't raced and he doens't have any significant results. Maybe we'll want to prove something in this race, since his team wasn't invited for the Vuelta.

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
I bet Nibali and A. Schleck will be big animators of the race.

Anyone notice that Francisco Mancebo is guest riding for Caisse d'Epargne according to the Cyclingnews startlist? Interestingly, they have 9 riders listed (two number 7s). Wonder what the deal is with Rock Racing.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
the Alto de Jaizkibel 7.8Km

9%; 7.5%; 7.5%; 1%; 8%; 6.5%; 4%; 1.5% per K

Jaizkibel_Pasaia_profile.jpg

a good profile map with the different climbs is available here

Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Is it on RAI?

It has been in the past. Not sure about this year - I haven't looked. It's a fun race, as it's got that climb, which is tough, but not so tough that a Bettini type rider can't make it over the top.

British Eurosport have shown San Sebastian in the past, will need to check this year. They always show the Tour of Poland which I always find boring, almost as bad as the ENECO Tour. Eurosport is great but I still miss the cycling coverage on Belgain/Flemish TV, they showed almost every half-decent race that ever existed. Its probably difficult to understand how big cycling is in Flanders until you go there.

Valverde must be favourite for San Sebastian, he must be chomping at the bit after missing out on the Tour. Sammy Sanchez riding for the Basque Euskaltel will be getting in the prep for the Vuelta so will be another contender. Who else, I am not sure.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Don't forget, the Jaizkibel is still around 30k before the finish line, so it is usually not that decisive, or there s ample time for some chasing/regrouping. A large(r) group is common.

At around 7k from the finish, there is the little section of 2.7K, avg 6.3%, (alto Arkale) where some will want to make the difference.

Last year's summary is available on Youtube here (in dutch) Bettini attacks on Arkale, followed by Valverde, Rebellin, and Sanchez. Valverde then continues the attack. Sanchez tries to take a lead in the down hill section. Still a group of around 15 stays ahead, from which Valverde wins the 'bunch sprint'.

Don't forget about Kolobnev, he came in second and CSS suits his abilities. I doubt the schlecks can win, given their sprinting abilities when arriving in a small group...

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
The question is, who are the riders that can

A) attack on the last hill and stay away by themselves for 7K
B) be with the best on the last hill, and sprint in a group of 10-15
C) be with the best on the last hill, and, given their lack of sprinting prowess, pull off a solo in the last 1-3K.

A seems unlikely.

B Valverde, Kolobnev, Velits (?) maybe, if he's lucky, even Freire...

C... Efimkin? Brajkovic? Gerdemann? Trofimov? Ivanov? Kessiakoff?

I also wonder if Boom and Langeveld can stay with the best on the climbs, but I have my doubts. Cunego is in, I am looking forward to seeing his form.

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
TRDean said:
Does anyone think Cunego may have a shot at this? Or am I crazy?

He wasn't that great in the Giro, and it looks like he has lost some of the pop he used to have. A couple years ago, he was winning sprints out of the small bunches, but this year he was beaten in all the sprints in the classics. Andy Schleck outsprinted him for 2nd (or should I say 1st since Rebellin "won"?) at Fleche Wallonne. Gesink and Gilbert outclassed him at Amstel Gold. He was also beaten at Liege. The finish at San Sebastian is different, but it looks like he's just not as good this year.

I would bet against Cunego, but you think I'm just a July-fan, so you should probably bet on him.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
dienekes88 said:
He wasn't that great in the Giro, and it looks like he has lost some of the pop he used to have. A couple years ago, he was winning sprints out of the small bunches, but this year he was beaten in all the sprints in the classics. Andy Schleck outsprinted him for 2nd (or should I say 1st since Rebellin "won"?) at Fleche Wallonne. Gesink and Gilbert outclassed him at Amstel Gold. He was also beaten at Liege. The finish at San Sebastian is different, but it looks like he's just not as good this year.

I would bet against Cunego, but you think I'm just a July-fan, so you should probably bet on him.

Thanks for the info...I don't how he has been preparing since the Giro. I don't bet on anyone, I was just wondering.

TRENDING THREADS