• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

CN Mods

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Do you think it would be a good idea to make a 'Other Sports' (sub-)forum.

With the Olympics and the World Cup football coming up and the interest shown in topics concerning other sports than cycling by posters in this 'General' forum I think it will create a lot of topics and discussions.

Just an idea.

ak-zaaf said:
Do you think it would be a good idea to make a 'Other Sports' (sub-)forum.

With the Olympics and the World Cup football coming up and the interest shown in topics concerning other sports than cycling by posters in this 'General' forum I think it will create a lot of topics and discussions.

Just an idea.

I second that opinion...

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
There's no need for an entire sub-forum on it. Those discussions can take place in the cafe - which was more what this forum was created for originally, rather than discussing what arrived in the post. :rolleyes:

Cheers
Greg Johnson

A

Anonymous

i vote a sports sub section of the cafe as well

the cafe is starting to get rather full and sport seems a fairly popular topic, there are already baseball, football etc etc threads...

dimspace said:
i vote a sports sub section of the cafe as well

the cafe is starting to get rather full and sport seems a fairly popular topic, there are already baseball, football etc etc threads...

Full? Huh?

I demand a cat/ultra-trailrunning sub-forum for those who like cats and don't mind doing thirty mile training runs in the high mountains. People who like ultra-trailrunning but don't like cats should get a different sub-forum. In fact, I think everyone should get their own sub-forum. Since there are only about a dozen people who post to the cafe, it will not be too many forums. Each poster can spend all his time in his own forums, talking to himself.

Splitting into sub-forums is something you do when the traffic in a forum becomes unmanageable. We are a long long way from that point.

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
Forums, sub-forums, sub-sub-forums hhhmmphfff... when I was a lad we had to use bulletin boards. Not those fancy pants electronic ones, but real ones we had to fashion out of tin and used bullets we had to pluck out of our own flesh...

Seriously if we are to get a "other sports" sub-folder lets not beat around the bush, let's name it properly, my suggestion "the stupid sports that don't involve riding around on bicycles" sub-forum.

Seriously, seriously, how about an "alley-cat, bike-polo, tall bike jousting, cycle ball, triathlon and other strange sports that involve bikes" forum?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
i think the cafe is a bit too generalised, messy so the sub forums would keep it more organised. For example have one for Sport, "Hobbies and Work" and another one for funny light hearted things.

I have a simple metric. If a day's discussion in a forum has no threads that end up on the second page then the forum does not need to be broken up. If the day's threads seldom take up a third of a page then discussion of breaking the forum up is rather ridiculous.

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
i think the cafe is a bit too generalised, messy so the sub forums would keep it more organised. For example have one for Sport, "Hobbies and Work" and another one for funny light hearted things.

who would do the job of copying and pasting the tiger thread into all three subforums?? :D

i vote we remove all subforums anyway, leave it as one big pile. perhaps with the clinic on its own, we don't want the riff-raff in there :cool:

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
No subsections. We're pretty lucky here to even have a 'Cafe' where we can cut loose from pro cycling talk. If you somehow can't find the thread of the sport you want to talk about, use the search feature. There is also a 'Social Group' feature in the Community section on the menu bar at the top that is really underutilized, which would be worth checking out for the regulars.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
No subsections. We're pretty lucky here to even have a 'Cafe' where we can cut loose from pro cycling talk. If you somehow can't find the thread of the sport you want to talk about, use the search feature. There is also a 'Social Group' feature in the Community section on the menu bar at the top that is really underutilized, which would be worth checking out for the regulars.

Ah cool, never noticed that feature.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
workingclasshero said:
who would do the job of copying and pasting the tiger thread into all three subforums?? :D

i vote we remove all subforums anyway, leave it as one big pile. perhaps with the clinic on its own, we don't want the riff-raff in there :cool:

I think we still should have the pro cycling and clinic seperate, because really people come on this forum for cycling not the cafe. The cafe and the fitness area should come together with the feedback on the site.