• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cobbles to be ridden over when present.

Cobbled Classics Route Designation.

• I hate polls/Undecicive/abstain from life in general.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Due to recent safety concerns something should be done to prevent more accidents in the Cobbled Classics.

Some typo's but oh well.

8 Should read:
As long as they don't use it too blatantly to avoid the cobbles, OK.

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
? huh ?
how about get rid of the stupid UCI points system, go back to everyone knowing their job and position in the peloton instead of thinking 'I gotta get points' and taking unnecessary risks

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
CobbleStoner said:
? huh ?
how about get rid of the stupid UCI points system, go back to everyone knowing their job and position in the peloton instead of thinking 'I gotta get points' and taking unnecessary risks

New Poll! :D

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
If you go to see a race as a spectator particularly in Belgium or anywhere you have to expect that you may encounter a 2nd line of riders and keep your eyes open. If you are taking somebody who hasnt been to a race before you should also fill them in on what to expect. The last thing you do is like the fool did in Flanders and panic, jump back a foot only to wipe out the 2nd line.

Its impossible to barrier off a whole race route. Personally I would prefer to see a general reduction of uneccessary race vehicles like cars and motorbikes which I think pose more of a risk to spectator and rider safety.

I think there shouldn't be any rules on this, simply for safety reasons. The appropriate route should be easily apparent for the riders and barrickaded if necessary. Obviously the riders shouldn't be allowed to cut off parts of the route and such, but anything in between the road markings should be fair game. Spectators just have to watch themselves. I think any rule such as proposed in the OP would lead to more accidents.

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Often the crowds will 'force' the riders back onto the cobbles, in the Paris-Roubaix there was a europcar rider who had just punctured (possibly Turgot) and to try and ride back on he rode up the side and at first the fans were moving for him but the crowd got so dense that he was forced to move back onto the cobbles, so I think on the key parts often the fans will act as a natural barrier - in a good way, not in a Langeveld way!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Machu Picchu said:
Mine is the x-pole, I like "enjoying the exhilarating fun of a pole workout" you should check it out "Whether a beginner, intermediate or professional, X-Pole has a pole product to suit you..." ;)

Nice Gallery :D It deserves a better name though.

Now go vote!

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
I would like to see it made into a rule, but rules often have unintended consequences. For example, being able to ride on the paths could aid breakaways - the peloton is more likely to use the whole road and be forced onto cobbles.

Sometimes riders need the escape route to avoid downed riders and such on the road itself. I don't want to ban riding on the footpath outright for this reason.

I do of course see the principle behind the rule, but its difficult to write a rule that doesn't whitewash over unique/peculiar situations

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
More Strides than Rides said:
Sometimes riders need the escape route to avoid downed riders and such on the road itself. I don't want to ban riding on the footpath outright for this reason.

I do of course see the principle behind the rule, but its difficult to write a rule that doesn't whitewash over unique/peculiar situations

I still think there should be no blatant footpath riding it defeats the whole purpose of a cobbled road/race. It would be like the riders having a small patch of payment on the Strade Bianche race, there is no such thing so they have to ride on the dirt/gravel, the same should be for the cobbles, maybe adding a cobble bump to force them in to prevent them from getting a flat every K or so, well probably more often.

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
poll not worthy

This poll is not worthy of being answered at all .

As far as the barricade options goes . I suggest all those that think that is cool can be placed (in a peleton) on the outside of a single lane cobbled section and if some one nicks you just a bit , you can be the first to be tangled in the barricades.

I hope you get hurt real bad , D***B *ss , that is just for suggesting such stupidity .
:mad:

TRENDING THREADS