• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Clean Colombians? (Arkea investigation page 27)

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
so was escartin with kelme who supposedly was always clean

Gung Ho Gun said:
Escartin was clean?
Time for him to step forward and claim his 5 Tours and a couple of Vuelta's too

Authorities raided the Giardini Margherita pharmacy in Bologna where prescriptions for banned substances were found, handwritten by sports doctors. Numerous riders were included in the judge's dossier, as "victims" of the medical professionals.

Victim: Kelme - Costa Blanca, ESCARTIN Fernando, Rider

http://www.dopeology.org/incidents/Giardini-Margherita-raid-[Bologna]/

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Netserk said:
Does that mean that it's your belief that he was clean?

I don't say I believe that but the percentage of clean colombians in europe has always been FAR higher than that of any other country except maybe japan.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Interesting. Could you share those statistics with us? I'll be interested to see how they were compiled and what the exact %s were

the fact that zero cyclists of colombia have ever been caught in europe. those are hard facts. I don't think any serious cycling nation has had zero positives like colombia in europe.

Ripper said:
Betancur ... chuckle. Winning sprints and hilly races while 6 kilos overweight. :eek:

Gotta love Bartoli. ;)
LOL. I am not saying he is not a doper but actually being 6 kilos overweight helped him specifically for this race rather than hurt him. Look at the two profiles. Those two stages actually require power.

Having said that, I am not sure if he is 6 kilos overweight anymore. That was when he showed up in San Luis.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
the fact that zero cyclists of colombia have ever been caught in europe. those are hard facts.
Thanks for the laugh.
http://kranten.delpher.nl/nl/view/index?image=ddd:010642792:mpeg21:a0114

But hey, that must have been before you started following cycling.

En Espanol:
http://hemeroteca-paginas.mundodeportivo.com/EMD01/HEM/1989/05/19/MD19890519-046.pdf

Please Ryo, give us more hard FACTS. I have a lot of hard facts about Colombians who have doped, in Europe and in S America.

Escarabajo said:
LOL. I am not saying he is not a doper but actually being 6 kilos overweight helped him specifically for this race rather than hurt him. Look at the two profiles. Those two stages actually require power.

Having said that, I am not sure if he is 6 kilos overweight anymore. That was when he showed up in San Luis.

I read he was still saying he was 6 kilos over (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/betancur-a-surprise-winner-at-tour-du-haut-var). Could just be typical bad reporting though (or BS from him) :D

If the weight was muscle I would agree. But it looks like it was fat which would not really help him.

What I expect to see is a drop in weight (of course helping climbing greatly), increase in TT, and general nuking of the field. I find Betancur highly suspect ...

42x16ss said:
Santiago Botero? Also, how long did Victor Hugo Pena ride for USPS?
Santiago Botero was absolved of any wrong doing by the Colombian Federation. LOL.

Talking about Conflict of Interest.

Having said that UCI never bother to challenge their verdict. But they made it clear that they never wanted to see his soul in Europe or any Protour race.

His case in the Puerto affair was as clear as it can be. His was the easiest to solve. They had the files, code and phone conversations.

Ripper said:
I read he was still saying he was 6 kilos over (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/betancur-a-surprise-winner-at-tour-du-haut-var). Could just be typical bad reporting though (or BS from him) :D

If the weight was muscle I would agree. But it looks like it was fat which would not really help him.

What I expect to see is a drop in weight (of course helping climbing greatly), increase in TT, and general nuking of the field. I find Betancur highly suspect ...
The fact that his performances are very erratic does not help his case.

He seems very talented. Always good since very young.

ryo why do you say this ?

Ryo Hazuki said:
the fact that zero cyclists of colombia have ever been caught in europe. those are hard facts. I don't think any serious cycling nation has had zero positives like colombia in europe.
We have been here before. Mari Luis Calle tested positive at Athens. Her appeal was heard by her home cycling Federation and surprise, surprise they decided that she had ingested something illegal entirely by accident.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
42x16ss said:
Santiago Botero? Also, how long did Victor Hugo Pena ride for USPS?

again. where did they ever get caught? I'm not saying they were clean. not at all. but give me one other big cycling national that has such a low percentage of positives in european main peloton.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Freddythefrog said:
We have been here before. Mari Luis Calle tested positive at Athens. Her appeal was heard by her home cycling Federation and surprise, surprise they decided that she had ingested something illegal entirely by accident.

where am I talking about woman cycling? that's not even a real sport.

Ryo Hazuki said:
again. where did they ever get caught? I'm not saying they were clean. not at all. but give me one other big cycling national that has such a low percentage of positives in european main peloton.
Every non-European country I guess. How many Americans tested positive? Landis, Hamilton, and ... ?

Betancur - who's buying it?

Cyclingnews: "He may be, by his own admission, still a couple of kilograms over his ideal racing weight, but Carlos Betancur (Ag2r-La Mondiale) made light of the short, sharp climb to the line at Fayence to claim stage victory and the overall lead at Paris-Nice"

Right.

I have no problem believing in NQ. Betancur ... I'm just not buyin' ...

the sceptic said:
I dont believe any of them, especially Quintana. He was too good in the 3rd week of the tour.
When I went to Peru to do the inca trail, I remember trying to keep up with the porters. These porters were skinny, short, indigenous guys. But oh boy, you had to see them carrying 10kg+ of gear, in sandals...they would run up that mountain like it was nothing.
Now, I look at Quintana...same kind of thing, short, skinny, born in high altitude...I think he is just naturally good. The same with the likes of Uran, Henao...

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
gmedina said:
When I went to Peru to do the inca trail, I remember trying to keep up with the porters. These porters were skinny, short, indigenous guys. But oh boy, you had to see them carrying 10kg+ of gear, in sandals...they would run up that mountain like it was nothing.
Now, I look at Quintana...same kind of thing, short, skinny, born in high altitude...I think he is just naturally good. The same with the likes of Uran, Henao...

this is a very good observation. especially for quintana as he is a 100% indian. if you see him he is 167 and 51 kg in top form. but he looks natural. he doesn't look anorexic like "made" climbers like wiggins who dropped a lot of weight.

Alz I gotz to say is

Betancur ... riiiiiight. Suuuuuuuuuure. No problemo.

Oh ya, and I'm overweight still (supposedly fat weight), but I am winning uphill sprints.

No worries ... who cares who my coach is. :rolleyes:

At least Quintana has been a phenom since the day he threw his leg over the bike.

TRENDING THREADS