• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Clean Colombians? (Arkea investigation page 27)

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
if one thing the interview portrays how it is improving in colombia and it is indeed.

any idea whatever came of Beltran Nino, the Colombian doctor caught with a ****load of doping products in 2001, later caught with AICAR and TB500 in 2012, and suspected of selling new forms of EPO in Barcelona in 2010?

Alberto Beltr?n Ni?o?s arrest [in 2012, with AICAR and TB500 in his luggage] came as a result of a long investigation known as Operation Skype. According to El Pais, it was launched in Barcelona because there the doctor allegedly sold a form of EPO called Retacrit to the then-Xacobeo Galicia rider David Garcia Dapena during the 2010 Vuelta a Espana.

[Beltran Nino] has long been suspected of doping athletes in sport. In April 2001 the-then Selle Italia team doctor was arrested near Modena with a car loaded with doping products. He was fired from the team and later worked for Kaiku, Liberty Seguros and Xacobeo Galicia.
http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/1...and-TB-500-doping-products.aspx#ixzz3U4sZ969E

on a side:
Would love to know more details about what went down in the Vuelta 2010.
seems there was quite a bit of experimenting going on that year.
I doubt the Sky fiasco is unrelated to that.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
You cant improve on Colombians not doping, surely......:rolleyes:
i was tempted to post something similar:D

Ryo's earlier claim (upthread, going back to 2011) that Colombians wouldn't dope in Europe out of pride for their country doesn't quite seem to correspond with the fact that several Colombians (not Venezuelans, not Peruanos, nor Chileans or Brazilians...but really Colombians) have been involved in doping ring busts in Spain.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Re:

sniper said:
Benotti69 said:
You cant improve on Colombians not doping, surely......:rolleyes:
i was tempted to post something similar:D

Ryo's earlier claim (upthread, going back to 2011) that Colombians wouldn't dope in Europe out of pride for their country doesn't quite seem to correspond with the fact that several Colombians (not Venezuelans, not Peruanos, nor Chileans or Brazilians...but really Colombians) have been involved in doping ring busts in Spain.
involved in doping rings? how many have been caught in europe compared to how many have ridden in europe? I think that ratio is far lower than any other cycling nation

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Re:

sniper said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
if one thing the interview portrays how it is improving in colombia and it is indeed.

any idea whatever came of Beltran Nino, the Colombian doctor caught with a ****load of doping products in 2001, later caught with AICAR and TB500 in 2012, and suspected of selling new forms of EPO in Barcelona in 2010?

Alberto Beltr?n Ni?o?s arrest [in 2012, with AICAR and TB500 in his luggage] came as a result of a long investigation known as Operation Skype. According to El Pais, it was launched in Barcelona because there the doctor allegedly sold a form of EPO called Retacrit to the then-Xacobeo Galicia rider David Garcia Dapena during the 2010 Vuelta a Espana.

[Beltran Nino] has long been suspected of doping athletes in sport. In April 2001 the-then Selle Italia team doctor was arrested near Modena with a car loaded with doping products. He was fired from the team and later worked for Kaiku, Liberty Seguros and Xacobeo Galicia.

on a side:
Would love to know more details about what went down in the Vuelta 2010.
seems there was quite a bit of experimenting going on that year.
I doubt the Sky fiasco is unrelated to that.
I doubt he's still involved in colombian cycling he's gone from antioquian team for several years. same with botero who they just kept on as a public relations guy for sponsoring

Re:

Freddythefrog said:
For Ryo Hazuki (where has he been lately ? He could give any skybot a lesson in myopic comments) - another entirely incorrect result for an innocent Colombian (its a conspiracy !)

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1028895/colombian-olympic-cycling-medallist-latest-to-fail-doping-test-at-toronto-2015

Had tested positive at Athens in 2004 and then had the decision overturned and her Olympic medal given back.
Well, that is a woman. And trust me Freddy, you do not want to hear Ryo's opinions of women in sport, Colombian or not.

Re: Quintana??

biker jk said:

The only team in Colombia Villegas ever felt comfortable was the Colombia Es Pasion (later 4-72). One of his teammates at that team in 2011 was Nario Alexander Quintana Rojas. Trained by Saldarriaga. This is the team that takes a clear anti-doping stance, spending a good part of the budget on anti-doping also introducing a biological passport for it's own riders. It's the only team Villegas ever felt comfortable...

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site

Billie said:
Really stupid to post this in the Quintana thread.

The only team in Colombia Villegas ever felt comfortable was the Colombia Es Pasion (later 4-72). One of his teammates at that team in 2011 was Nario Alexander Quintana Rojas. Trained by Saldarriaga. This is the team that takes a clear anti-doping stance, spending a good part of the budget on anti-doping also introducing a biological passport for it's own riders. It's the only team Villegas ever felt comfortable...

kinda like Team Sky ?

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site

SkyTears said:
Billie said:

kinda like Team Sky ?
Yes, and somehow they beat everybody doing drugs. It just goes to show that clean living and three hot meals a day is the way to go. Protestant ethics trumps evil every time - in life as in cycling.

biker jk said:
Absolutely. It is very bad. The lack of testing making worse.

I don't believe any of the results from Colombia's races. I am tired of seeing strong riders come to Europe and do nothing and then come back and start winning races. Some of them have learned good logistics from Europeans.

I can only believe to some extent the riders that move to Europe from very young age after testing has been done on them. Like Uran. Quintana was one of those early talents as well.

Lyon said:
SkyTears said:
Billie said:
Really stupid to post this in the Quintana thread.

kinda like Team Sky ?
Yes, and somehow they beat everybody doing drugs. It just goes to show that clean living and three hot meals a day is the way to go. Protestant ethics trumps evil every time - in life as in cycling.

Yeah because the biggest cycling team in the world is really comparable to an U23 team with a coach that has been working hard for decades to offer a safe spot for young riders to develop.

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
is this thread a sad joke?

did anyone watched Vuelta a Colombia ?

Mihai Cazacu ‏@faustocoppi60 43m43 minutes ago
All the riders in the top 50 of Las Palmas ITT are probably around Froome-Quintana's best level! Tremendous. #VColombia

World Tour is clean like a virgin compared to the wrestling show that is south american cycling.

The reason why only 0,1% of those " probably around Froome-Quintana's best level!" make it to europe is because they won't pass simple airport detection test, that's how radioactive they are, not to speak about basic sport anti doping testing.

Again, keep things on-topic and stop going after each other.

As a side note, Colombians are no more or less "nationalisitic" than members of any other nation, so this premise that they wouldn't dope out of national pride is simply not true and would not apply to members of ANY NATION. National pride has to be the weakest deterrent to doping imaginable.

To anyone who thinks Colombians don't dope, feel free to attend one of the myriad of vuelta de yo-no-se-que's they have throughout their country, go into any pharmacy when the race is in town, and try to get any doping products. Guaranteed they wil be completely sold out. Then you'll see what I'm talking about.

And no, this is not information gleaned from a website. Sometimes links cannot replicate real-life experience, so my apologies in advance if this doesn't qualify as "proof".

Re:

SkyTears said:
is this thread a sad joke?

did anyone watched Vuelta a Colombia ?

Mihai Cazacu ‏@faustocoppi60 43m43 minutes ago
All the riders in the top 50 of Las Palmas ITT are probably around Froome-Quintana's best level! Tremendous. #VColombia

World Tour is clean like a virgin compared to the wrestling show that is south american cycling.

The reason why only 0,1% of those " probably around Froome-Quintana's best level!" make it to europe is because they won't pass simple airport detection test, that's how radioactive they are, not to speak about basic sport anti doping testing.
As I said in the pro RR, they cut the MTT short: 16.2Km and 900m vertical.
Hence, regardless of the evident abuse of products, the data to calculate power is wrong.

TRENDING THREADS