• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Clean Colombians? (Arkea investigation page 27)

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Escarabajo said:
I am not surprised about Ivan Parra. I don't think he started late. He probably thought that he had a free pass in Colombia.
Surprised a little at his palmares. Also guys like Ardila, Buenahora. Colombians weren't as missing from those late 90's early 00's pelotons as I remembered. Anyway, I think I bumped handlebars with Parra once. Didn't strike me as a particularly nice guy :p

Maria Luisa Calle going with the JTL-2 (the "it's not that I'm guilty but I don't got no money left to defend myself", not the "drank myself positive"):
http://www.elcolombiano.com/deportes/ciclismo/servimos-mientras-produzcamos-medallas--maria-luisa-calle-IA3727093
A couple hard truths there, but sooo much deflection as well. Why do so few athletes take the hit gracefully?

Also, to the "these are just kids who get pushed into stuff and then are shocked when the support goes away" brigade: she's 47. And she already got off on a technicality once. Not trying to be mean about it, but at this point "she's elderly and confused" would be a more credible approach.

P.S., that newspaper's sports section hasn't quite hit the PC era:
http://www.elcolombiano.com/deportes/otros-deportes/el-forrest-gump-nacional-partio-y-nadie-lo-pudo-parar-CY3221040
I'm guessing they meant it as a compliment? George Carlin would be proud.

Re:

carton said:
Maria Luisa Calle going with the JTL-2 (the "it's not that I'm guilty but I don't got no money left to defend myself", not the "drank myself positive"):
http://www.elcolombiano.com/deportes/ciclismo/servimos-mientras-produzcamos-medallas--maria-luisa-calle-IA3727093
A couple hard truths there, but sooo much deflection as well. Why do so few athletes take the hit gracefully?

Also, to the "these are just kids who get pushed into stuff and then are shocked when the support goes away" brigade: she's 47. And she already got off on a technicality once. Not trying to be mean about it, but at this point "she's elderly and confused" would be a more credible approach.

P.S., that newspaper's sports section hasn't quite hit the PC era:
http://www.elcolombiano.com/deportes/otros-deportes/el-forrest-gump-nacional-partio-y-nadie-lo-pudo-parar-CY3221040
I'm guessing they meant it as a compliment? George Carlin would be proud.

Maria Luisa Calle is the Colombian Jeannie Longo

Re:

Benotti69 said:
Ooops

Alberto Beltran, cycling's 'king of doping', arrested in Colombia

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jun/09/alberto-beltran-arrested-colombia-doping-cycling?CMP=twt_gu

According to Colombia’s national police, he was the head of a distribution network supplying high performance athletes – especially cyclists – with doping products.

Obviously Colombians can not be considered clean... :rolleyes:

This link in Spanish gives more details:
http://www.elespanol.com/deportes/20160610/131487010_0.html

Poliemen had already found he carried Aicar and TB-500 inhis suitcase back in 2012

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Benotti69 said:
Ooops

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jun/09/alberto-beltran-arrested-colombia-doping-cycling?CMP=twt_gu

According to Colombia’s national police, he was the head of a distribution network supplying high performance athletes – especially cyclists – with doping products.

i thought cycling was leading the fight against doping. 95% clean, etc.
So i guess we should be surprised the ring was mainly feeding off cyclists. :rolleyes:

The Colombian local scene needs cleaning up, particularly when it comes to Babyface et alia. The amateur scene isn't all that great either. But the WorldTour guys have come up mostly through the "clean" Colombian teams. And a WADA-accredited lab has been set up, and the cops seem finally be on the case, FWIW.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

sniper said:
Benotti69 said:
Ooops

So i guess we should be surprised the ring was mainly feeding off cyclists. :rolleyes:
this is about amateur cyclists. in colombia they have the vuelta colombia masters, in which every town's apothecaries get raided on every possible stimulant drug for these oldies to use. they recently cleaned up the pro/elite cycling scene in colombia as well, many guys never to return like wilson rincon, infantino and several others and if they return on a seriously lower level (millan, marlon perez, edwin parra)

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

Ryo Hazuki said:
sniper said:
Benotti69 said:
Ooops

this is about amateur cyclists. in colombia they have the vuelta colombia masters, in which every town's apothecaries get raided on every possible stimulant drug for these oldies to use. they recently cleaned up the pro/elite cycling scene in colombia as well, many guys never to return like wilson rincon, infantino and several others and if they return on a seriously lower level (millan, marlon perez, edwin parra)
you know alot about the colombian scene and i appreciate that, but such sweeping statements, what are they based on other than wishful thinking?

The suggestion that there's a doped up amateur scene in colombia, but that the proscene is clean, that just doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
Pro's are protected from high up and have the best and safest possible entourage.
They don't depend on supplies from dodgy rings.
And if amateurs would be doping and pros would be clean, amateurs would go faster than pros.

Ryo Hazuki said:
sniper said:
Benotti69 said:
Ooops

viewtopic.php?p=815935#p815935

he was always a hors category super talent

err, okay

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

sniper said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
sniper said:
Benotti69 said:
Ooops

you know alot about the colombian scene and i appreciate that, but such sweeping statements, what are they based on other than wishful thinking?

The suggestion that there's a doped up amateur scene in colombia, but that the proscene is clean, that just doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
Pro's are protected from high up and have the best and safest possible entourage.
They don't depend on supplies from dodgy rings.

And if amateurs would be doping and pros would be clean, amateurs would go faster than pros.
then you have no idea how doping works in colombia. the pro scene depended mostly on riders selling to each other in very dodgy situations. wilson rincon went so far with his experiments he nearly died. the team simply drops him and that's that.

some teams though have a serious clean image. this image is far stronger than any european teams even and they openly criticized the colombian scene. these teams have gotten the upper hand with installing a bio passport and now their teams are winning races finally in colombia. the quintana team of boyaca raza, manzana postobon, gw shimano for instance have really good reputation. in the case of gw shimano the team was incredibly dirty. some riders were caught. jonathan millan when crying on national tv admitting to all what was wrong. the sponsor, who have a big budget, stepped in and threw all the staff out and installed their own bio passport regime. they also got rid of many riders that were not caught but who were doping. the team was radically changed and is now winning once again with different riders.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

roundabout said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
sniper said:
Benotti69 said:
Ooops

viewtopic.php?p=815935#p815935

he was always a hors category super talent

err, okay
so? he will probably never return, where do I dispute his talent?

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Re:

roundabout said:
If a 'hors category super talent' needs doping than the scene is hardly clean. Or maybe he is not a 'hors category super talent' because he still needs doping in 'cleaned up' scene.
what are you talking about? he was doping when almost everyone was, then finally caught and suspended. I'm sure if he would return he would still be strong. he was 4th in world championships itt as a junior in 2002.

TRENDING THREADS