• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Clean Colombians? (Arkea investigation page 27)

Page 24 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

roundabout said:

When I read the headline on the local newspaper "Former Tour stage winner caught doping", Pantano immediately came to my mind; his great 2016 and good 2017 (except the Tour, where Trek as a whole underperformed..interestingly enough Cardoso was tested positive a few days before, which some on this forum interpreted as a warning shot from UCI) was followed up by being totally invisible since. Can't say i'm surprised, but sad? Yes.

Simurgh said:
roundabout said:

When I read the headline on the local newspaper "Former Tour stage winner caught doping", Pantano immediately came to my mind; his great 2016 and good 2017 (except the Tour, where Trek as a whole underperformed..interestingly enough Cardoso was tested positive a few days before, which some on this forum interpreted as a warning shot from UCI) was followed up by being totally invisible since. Can't say i'm surprised, but sad? Yes.

He was invisible because he had Toxoplasmosis. I'm sure he was still doping the whole time.

His lack of consistency was an issue. They came back with some health issues but now we understand what was going on behind the scenes. Trek was having issues with some of his riders.

Not good.

I wonder if they have a better test for detecting epo microdosing.

what is all this 'sad , really sad' rubbish...He knew what he was doing ....as did Cardosa
If SKY had 2 recent positives for EPO they would be skinned alive on here and the whole team tainted as dopers
But Trek ??? ...its a 'its all so sad' as if someone died

Get a grip ...Its illegal that is what it is and Trek need to answer to what is going on

Re:

HelloDolly said:
what is all this 'sad , really sad' rubbish...He knew what he was doing ....as did Cardosa
If SKY had 2 recent positives for EPO they would be skinned alive on here and the whole team tainted as dopers
But Trek ??? ...its a 'its all so sad' as if someone died

Get a grip ...Its illegal that is what it is and Trek need to answer to what is going on

It's sad that it's still at the top level of the sport instead of just the lower levels that we had seen recently. At least that is why I find the situation sad.

Absolutely pathetic from some in here, if sky or the big bad British were getting busted for EPO like some teams are, then this place would be going nuts, but to me it looks like the usual suspect aren’t too bothered about this latest bust as its not the British that’s getting caught.....as I’ve said before this place could do amazing work but some folks agendas with everything Britain’s gets in the way

Hang your heads in shame

Re:

rick james said:
Absolutely pathetic from some in here, if sky or the big bad British were getting busted for EPO like some teams are, then this place would be going nuts, but to me it looks like the usual suspect aren’t too bothered about this latest bust as its not the British that’s getting caught.....as I’ve said before this place could do amazing work but some folks agendas with everything Britain’s gets in the way

Hang your heads in shame

You'd sleep better at night if you didn't demand perfect rationality from a bike forum.

Re:

rick james said:

Hang your heads in shame
I can’t speak for everyone here, but I am not sure what response you feel is appropriate. Seems like if people are still being caught using banned substances, that is a bad thing, not something to take pleasure in, or to feel vindicated by. That is the response I feel like I am seeing here, is people expressing sorrow that this is still happening. Really not sure what Sky or British Cycling or even British cycling have to do with Pantano.

Re:

rick james said:

Hang your heads in shame
Well, whether Pantano was doping or not was never that big of a topic here so logically it's not as big of a topic now than when someone who was a major talking point on this forum gets caught. Also him being caught just isn't that big of a shocker. He was nowhere for the last two and a half years and when he was really good in 2016 everyone was kinda suspicious already.

Re:

Robert5091 said:
It's sad as guys still think they can get away with using EPO - even micro-dosing is no longer a guarantee for not getting caught.

What are you basing that on? People have been getting caught (occasionally) in every era. It has never meant, to my understanding, that riders can't get away with using EPO.

Getting caught appears, and has always appeared to be, an exception. This is the case with any illegal or unethical activity. We know this was the case from riders confessions and cases which have been prosecuted.

Re:

rick james said:

Hang your heads in shame

Whining isn't going to change anything. Neither are your cries of nationalistic bias. Sky get crucified for their absolutely intelligence-assaulting marketing campaign around doping, their freak show top rider who got busted for doping and let off by the UCI, their series of preposterous and lackluster riders who they turned into GT winners, and their consistent success in the top race of the sport. Yet you think it's because they're British. I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous if not delusional.

Why the heck are you talking about Sky and the British in a thread about Columbians? Get a grip.

red_flanders said:
rick james said:

Hang your heads in shame

Whining isn't going to change anything. Neither are your cries of nationalistic bias. Sky get crucified for their absolutely intelligence-assaulting marketing campaign around doping, their freak show top rider who got busted for doping and let off by the UCI, their series of preposterous and lackluster riders who they turned into GT winners, and their consistent success in the top race of the sport. Yet you think it's because they're British. I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous if not delusional.

Why the heck are you talking about Sky and the British in a thread about Columbians? Get a grip.

because if sky had been done twice for EPO like Trek have then we would have every tom, *** and harry crawling out the wood work....but this place is pretty much silent on it, double standards

So If micro dosing then you are less likely to get caught ? ...asking for a friend :D

Seriously if Pantano,Cardosaa and others like SAMU (testosterone) are doping you can bet you bottom dollar alot of the others are too especially the older riders

Seems the possible benefits out weight the possible disadvantages if caught esp if near the end of your career ..risk it for another 2 years contract but if you get caught you are out but you may have been out anyway with no contract renewal

Also in fairness some nationalities do not frown on doping like others where your reputation is ruined (for a time anyways) for advertising work ,PR, media ,etc which can happen after your career. I cannot see how a rider like Pantano or SAMU can see its worth it unless they have been doing it years and have gotten away with it

TRENDING THREADS