• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Contador crashes during training

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
The press release:

:: 31 / 08 / 10 :: Alberto Contador sustains slight injury to right knee in training crash
Alberto Contador crashed yesterday while training on the outskirts of Pinto due to an oil slick on a roundabout.

The crash didn’t seem to be serious and Alberto was able to return home on his bicycle, but after spending the night with some discomfort, today he has a pronounced inflammation of the knee. A rest period will be required for observation of the injury, which means that Alberto will begin a scheduled break from training one week sooner than planned.

http://www.albertocontador.com/prensa.detalle.php?id=483

I think he was scheduled to race a crit with Basso some time in the next few days, and to ride one in Kazakhstan later in September. On August 16 he posted that he was on vacation.

I don't know what the 2011 TdF is going to look like. Schlecklet is suffering at the Vuelta, but if he makes it through and recovers, he should have really helped his base fitness for next year.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
This puts the rest of his season in jeopardy.

If season means a few crits here and there :p

Slightly off topic, but I am curious to see if this short seasons he is doing are good for his future racing ambitions. It is of course bad for us the fans to see him finishing his season in August, but I am wondering if the reduced number of racing days is doing him any good. His best form ever was in 2009 and in 2008 he raced (and won) two GTs, his 2010 form was not great.

Oh well, I guess he has a good excuse now to chillax for another 5 months.:D

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
indurain666 said:
If season means a few crits here and there :p

Slightly off topic, but I am curious to see if this short seasons he is doing are good for his future racing ambitions. It is of course bad for us the fans to see him finishing his season in August, but I am wondering if the reduced number of racing days is doing him any good. His best form ever was in 2009 and in 2008 he raced (and won) two GTs, his 2010 form was not great.

Oh well, I guess he has a good excuse now to chillax for another 5 months.:D

I think Alberto has the knowhow to hit his form. i.e 20-30 days of racing combined with specific training plans gets him 100%. The question I want to know does he have 5 or more TDF victories in him?? I think so.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
boardhanger said:
I think Alberto has the knowhow to hit his form. i.e 20-30 days of racing combined with specific training plans gets him 100%. The question I want to know does he have 5 or more TDF victories in him?? I think so.

Of course Alberto has 10 more TdF victories with the proper"training techniques". I hope his knee is OK.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
boardhanger said:
Seriously how many TDFs can he win?

If Contador follows Lances' training techniques, he doesn't get a pos. or a serious crash I have no doubt he will beat Lances' record. That is six more wins for Contador but he could ein 8 more. Contador is better than Lance ever was and there is no competition for Contador.
That is why in my opinion Armstrong came out of retirement. That record means a lot to Armstrong.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
boardhanger said:
Seriously how many TDFs can he win?

It all depends on what he aims to do. If you follow a bit with what he has been saying it is quite clear that the tour alone is not good enough for him in the future. So it depends on what he will try to do. It looks like he likes the giro and the Vuelta better, when you look at the courses itself. So I myself reckon he will win around 5 or more GT's, but which ones they will be, I cannot say. I will say this and that is that he will have the best resume when all is said and done of any rider in a long while, especially GT riders. (this all is based on the assumption he won't get a ban or a horrifying accident)

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Barrus said:
It all depends on what he aims to do. If you follow a bit with what he has been saying it is quite clear that the tour alone is not good enough for him in the future. So it depends on what he will try to do. It looks like he likes the giro and the Vuelta better, when you look at the courses itself. So I myself reckon he will win around 5 or more GT's, but which ones they will be, I cannot say. I will say this and that is that he will have the best resume when all is said and done of any rider in a long while, especially GT riders. (this all is based on the assumption he won't get a ban or a horrifying accident)

Thats what I like about Contador he will race for victory in other big races. He has the hunger. Que hambre!!

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I have to hand it to Contador. As much as I hated it he showed his metal against the competition and Armstrong Bruyneel in the tour 09. Simply epic, stellar. Thank God he took it easy this year but what can I say what palmeres. Vive Contador. (even if he wuped lance)
There is only one way to defeat Contador and that is with psycology. Best to him!

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
This puts the rest of his season in jeopardy.

I can hear the similar refrain....

"It has been a very difficult and trying season. This to me makes winning this year that much sweeter."

TRENDING THREADS