contador sleeping with the enemy

May 23, 2010
95
0
0
No I don't think this is stage three but in a strange replay of last years race he may be sleeping with the enemy.
If Vinokourov does ride in the Tour team his words from the Giro may seem hollow-
"I came to the Giro in my peak form, so the Giro is number one for me, and at the Tour de France my goal will be to help Contador win, so I will ride the Giro, take a break, then ride the Tour."
mmm, like the "help" he gave Ullrich at T Mobile?
Obviously for Astana to leave out Vinokourov would be politically disasterous but if i was Martinelli i would prefer the solid so called weak squads (but totally committed to the cause a la pantani's squadra) to having the loose cannon in the ranks
That said i did admire Vinokourov's Giro ride - he can animate a race - wether Contador will appreciate it in July is another matter
thanks
 
Jun 19, 2009
5,220
0
0
Vino has an interest in the team actually winning the race. He should settle down as opposed to his T Mobile days but he and others still need to be prominent in GC to keep the contenders honest.
 
When did Ullrich need Vino? I'm pretty sure he helped sporadically, but regardless he was more valuable just going berserk and being a tactical uncertainty to be reckoned with. It's not like Ullrich or his team dominated the Tour at the time, anyway - it's hardly comparable.
 
Apr 14, 2010
1,368
0
0
Oh how I would love to see Vino 200 meters off the front of the peloton coming down the Champs to take that stage from Cavendish.
 
dancing on pedals said:
No I don't think this is stage three but in a strange replay of last years race he may be sleeping with the enemy.
If Vinokourov does ride in the Tour team his words from the Giro may seem hollow-
"I came to the Giro in my peak form, so the Giro is number one for me, and at the Tour de France my goal will be to help Contador win, so I will ride the Giro, take a break, then ride the Tour."
mmm, like the "help" he gave Ullrich at T Mobile?
Obviously for Astana to leave out Vinokourov would be politically disasterous but if i was Martinelli i would prefer the solid so called weak squads (but totally committed to the cause a la pantani's squadra) to having the loose cannon in the ranks
That said i did admire Vinokourov's Giro ride - he can animate a race - wether Contador will appreciate it in July is another matter
thanks
what's the payout @livestrong for word?
Let's say your theory is correct............. Alberto Contador already handled & domesticated the big dog of all- so Vino won't be a problem-and BTW, AC is picking his men this time around, unlike last year's where that decision was made by the Hog & LA....
 
Well that T-mobile team was always pretty fractured as you had Kloden, Ulrich, and Vino all riding for themselves. I have no idea if Vino will actually ride himself into the ground for Contador but I highly doubt he'll try to openly ride for himself against a rider as dominant as Contador. We did actually already see Vino ride himself into the ground for Contador this season at Criterium International so it's not like it's unprecedented.
 
Jun 19, 2009
5,220
0
0
BikeCentric said:
Well that T-mobile team was always pretty fractured as you had Kloden, Ulrich, and Vino all riding for themselves. I have no idea if Vino will actually ride himself into the ground for Contador but I highly doubt he'll try to openly ride for himself against a rider as dominant as Contador. We did actually already see Vino ride himself into the ground for Contador this season at Criterium International so it's not like it's unprecedented.

Doesn't Vino have some potential ownership in Astana's operation? You'd think he'd want to keep the franchise viable as much as his own ambitions it that were the case.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
The difference between this team and t-mobile is Vino has a stake in astana, an emotional one if not a financial one. After all the funding problems last year, and rumours of still some issues this year, Vino needs contador to do well in the tour de france. he will support him

If not for they day they lost ten minutes in the giro, vino could well have won that.

It would not hurt at all though for vino to be in contention going into the mountains. Gives them more options and forces shack/saxo to chase down vinos (almost certain) attacks. I actually think vino could top 5 with AC winning the GC (although i hope AC doesnt win the gc)
 
Mar 12, 2010
305
0
0
I can already feel the drama.

Contador not in control of Vino.

PharmStrong being outridden by Kloden and Levi...

Frank beating down Andy...
 
TeamSkyFans said:
The difference between this team and t-mobile is Vino has a stake in astana, an emotional one if not a financial one. After all the funding problems last year, and rumours of still some issues this year, Vino needs contador to do well in the tour de france. he will support him

If not for they day they lost ten minutes in the giro, vino could well have won that.

It would not hurt at all though for vino to be in contention going into the mountains. Gives them more options and forces shack/saxo to chase down vinos (almost certain) attacks. I actually think vino could top 5 with AC winning the GC (although i hope AC doesnt win the gc)

In fact I suspect this is what they have in mind.
 
Jul 22, 2009
3,355
0
0
Old School said:
I can already feel the drama.

Contador not in control of Vino.

PharmStrong being outridden by Kloden and Levi...

Frank beating down Andy...
Old School getting out-posted by oldnell and oldman.
 
Jun 23, 2009
128
0
0
When Vino was at T-Mobile he had to face discrimination because of not being German and why should he help Ullrich who was a talented rider but at the same time lazy and without discipline. But with Contador it's another thing. Vino and Alberto were team mates and are friends, even their families know each other. And Vino needs Alberto for big wins. And he helped Alberto at the Critérium Intermational. But he wasn't responsible for the weather that caused Alberto's problems with his pollen allergy.
Vino also helped Andreas Kloeden to win the Tour de Romandie.

And I don't like the title of this thread. -- Alberto isn't gay. :(
 
BikeCentric said:
Well that T-mobile team was always pretty fractured as you had Kloden, Ulrich, and Vino all riding for themselves. I have no idea if Vino will actually ride himself into the ground for Contador but I highly doubt he'll try to openly ride for himself against a rider as dominant as Contador. We did actually already see Vino ride himself into the ground for Contador this season at Criterium International so it's not like it's unprecedented.

Klöden riding for himself? Never!
 

SpartacusRox

BANNED
May 6, 2010
711
0
0
Old School said:
I can already feel the drama.

Contador not in control of Vino.

PharmStrong being outridden by Kloden and Levi...

Frank beating down Andy...


One of those is a possibility, two of them are fantasy;)
 
Oct 27, 2009
133
0
0
TeamSkyFans said:
The difference between this team and t-mobile is Vino has a stake in astana, an emotional one if not a financial one. After all the funding problems last year, and rumours of still some issues this year, Vino needs contador to do well in the tour de france. he will support him

If not for they day they lost ten minutes in the giro, vino could well have won that.

It would not hurt at all though for vino to be in contention going into the mountains. Gives them more options and forces shack/saxo to chase down vinos (almost certain) attacks. I actually think vino could top 5 with AC winning the GC (although i hope AC doesnt win the gc)

who do you hope to win?Wiggins?
...Just asking:)