• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cooling better then steroids

Sounds like they are trying to get a patent to sell something.

Phil Gaimon sells a cheap version of ice leg suits. There is a high end one that cost a few Gs to do the same thing.

This concept is nothing new. Guys have been taking ice baths after workouts to help get lactic acid squeezed out of the muscles. To help aid in recovery.

I doubt the better than steroids claim though.

Not likely. There's ample and conflicting research on cooling therapies.

Just because the therapy is now associated with Stanford and has a gee-whiz gadget vs. plain old ice baths doesn't improve the conflicting research situation.

Finally, is the devices peristaltic effect the potential source for improved recovery? Research on the use of compression fabrics is as conflicting as the cold therapy.

DirtyWorks said:
Not likely. There's ample and conflicting research on cooling therapies.

Just because the therapy is now associated with Stanford and has a gee-whiz gadget vs. plain old ice baths doesn't improve the conflicting research situation.

Finally, is the devices peristaltic effect the potential source for improved recovery? Research on the use of compression fabrics is as conflicting as the cold therapy.

It is an interesting article. The idea is to maximize the cooling of the 'radiator' areas of the body while avoiding vasoconstriction.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
MarkvW said:
It is an interesting article. The idea is to maximize the cooling of the 'radiator' areas of the body while avoiding vasoconstriction.

It is pretty cool if true, sure more testing but at present I'll just hold a cold drink to see what happens, no cost, no fuss :p

A good friend of mine was one of the lab rats for the cycling portion of this study. He said it was amazing how much recovery there was with the cooling.

I am not sure if he was hooked up to the "gloves" during all of his tests.

Maybe we need super cooled handlebars and/or electric cooled grips. Hmmm

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Take a look at the x-bionic line of apparel. X-bionix/apani is aiming at the same concept. Stuff is pricey, especially in the fennec line which I would really like because the sun (on sunny days) just beats the sh!t out of me.

As far as better than steroids? Not sure if steroids is the PED to benchmark against so maybe it is better than steroids but maybe caffeine is better than steroids. Another product in the marketplace for people to try shouldn't be considered a bad thing. Trying is believing. I didn't see any estimates on what this is supposed to cost at its intro.

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
MarkvW said:
On a really long ride on a really hot day a frozen camelbak is nice too!

We probably need a whole thread on just how to stay cool if there isn't a thread already (or 5). But yes, there are lower tech and lower cost ways to skin a cat.

I think I heard a story from a commentator on tv that Hushovd and the Norwegian team tried to use dry ice or something on the ITT warm up during one of the olympics to keep them cool. The results were disastrous, and perhaps comical.

Does anyone of you cycling gurus remember this incident?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
ToreBear said:
I think I heard a story from a commentator on tv that Hushovd and the Norwegian team tried to use dry ice or something on the ITT warm up during one of the olympics to keep them cool. The results were disastrous, and perhaps comical.

Does anyone of you cycling gurus remember this incident?

Dry ice... :rolleyes: yea that was smart.

TRENDING THREADS