• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 347 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
There was quite a bit of talk on natural pre-infection immunity before but I am beginning to think its not worth much. I agree with you that the cases seem to be milder. I only say that based on what my friends have said after getting it the second or third time.

I am so tired of this disease. I am planning to race a couple of marathons and an 100 miler and every step I take during this current training phase is cautious about getting infected. I don't want to derail my training. Selfish I know but its what I worry about.
Nothing selfish about that, if you don't get infected you won't infect others.

And this history from a very, very convinced and determined Italian. Surprised he didn't claim someone gave him Anthrax:

An Italian anti-vaxxer and COVID-denier who sparked outrage after declaring himself a “plague spreader” and boasting about how he walked around sick and maskless in a supermarket is now dead of COVID-19, according to local media reports.

Maurizio Buratti, also known as Mauro from Mantua, died in a Verona hospital Monday, just a few weeks after he was hospitalized. He was 61.

Trinity (Bronze) Mirror Frame Kit | Custom Self-Adhesive Stick-On Mirror Frame | DIY Add A Frame | Frame My Mirror
AdFrame My Mirror

Buratti’s condition took a turn for the worse, perhaps unsurprisingly, after he called in to the Zanzara radio program on Radio 24, where he was a frequent and well-known commenter, and openly told listeners he was seriously ill, with a high fever, but had made a point to stroll through a crowded grocery store maskless.

He railed against pandemic-related restrictions and claimed he was “defending the constitution,” saying he would not get tested for the coronavirus because of a supposed conspiracy in which he said the test swabs themselves cause the virus.

According to Brescia Today, he went to the hospital only at the insistence of fans and Giuseppe Cruciani, the host of Zanzara, and he refused to seek treatment at a hospital in his native Mantua “because the Communists are there.”

Enrico Polati, director of the ICU at Hospital de Borgo Trento, where Buratti was treated, told ANSA he had arrived in “desperate conditions.”

“We did everything and a little more, but the disease was inexorable,” he said.

Buratti reportedly stuck to his anti-vaxxer views even as his health rapidly deteriorated and he was intubated, with one of his final comments to fans being that he planned to seek asylum abroad to avoid getting vaccinated.

“He is in hospital in Verona, I got to hear him in recent days and you could tell from the voice that he was terribly ill,” Cruciani was quoted as telling listeners recently.

Buratti also appeared to finally acknowledge the existence of COVID-19 in a recorded update aired on Zanzara for listeners, according to Brescia Today. In it, he said: “I was diagnosed with bilateral pneumonia, it seems to be COVID.”

In the wake of his death, Cruciani paid tribute to him on Instagram, writing: “You were, you are, Mauro from Mantua. We made fun of you, you insulted us, we talked about it all the way to the threshold of a court, but we had fun like never in life. And today I got a blow to the heart.”

Another one of Zanzara’s hosts, Davide Parenzo, said Buratti’s fate should serve as a wake-up call.

“Rest in peace wherever you are, old conspiracy theorist. I only hope your sad story serves as an example to all those who are still fueling doubts about the efficacy of vaccines,” he said, according to ANSA.

From what I am reading and seeing many people getting covid this makes the 2nd and in some instances the 3rd time. I know some who had covid in March of 2020 and now are positive for covid again. That would mean for certain the immunity gained from previous infection does not last near 2 years. It seems the best you can hope for on infection immunity would be around 6 months? If that?
I'll chime in: The antibodies appear to be short lived - I've seen studies with most showing anywhere from 6-8 months, with a few studies showing even less than that. What's overlooked is the "memory T & B cells" acquired from previous infections that can be present for several years perhaps even decades. This helps the adaptive immune system in preventing serious illness.

"Immune T cells May Offer Lasting Protection Against COVID-19"

Interestingly, survivors from SARS-CoV-1 back in 2004 showed that those individuals had lasting "memory T cells" today, 17 yrs after the outbreak, which recognized parts of SARS-CoV-2.

Other studies:

"The study findings reveal that the majority of T cell epitopes targeted in vaccination or previously infected individuals remain unaffected by omicron mutations. Thus, it can be expected that the pre-existing T cell immunity will have a robust impact against the newly emerged omicron variant."

My son & I had overlapping cases of Covid way back in the first week of Feb, 2020. We were both very ill but fortunately neither one of us didn't need any medical intervention & fully recovered with no evidence of "long Covid" or any lingering effects. Interestingly, this was the sickest either one of us had ever been with any viral/bacterial infection (I detailed my experience with this in a discussion with the long-time poster MI on this thread back in 2020). Now fast forward 19 months to this past Sept where we both had overlapping cases of the Delta variant. However, I wasn't nearly as ill as I was with the original SARS-COV-2 experiencing very mild flu symptoms that slowed me down for a few days followed up with a quick recovery. My son experienced more like very mild cold symptoms and was not slowed down at all maintaining his normal college & training schedule. So, given the fact of how virulent the Delta variant is, there had to be memory T & B cells responses here for both of us.

And this why I don't want to take the vaccine. I don't feel the benefits would outweigh the risks given that I have good memory T & B cells from prior infection and very excellent overall health & fitness status. It's a personal decision I make based on these circumstances.

I'm for personal choice - I respect the right for people to either take or decline the Covid vaccines. When it comes to any medical procedures/interventions, I'm a strong advocate of "informed consent." (my late wife, who was being treated for an autoimmune disease, suffered drug-induced organ failure from the drugs she was being treated with that I felt the side-effects from these drugs weren't properly disclosed to us).

The problem for me moving forward is that I'm in a Blue state (Colo) & reside in city with strong Liberal leadership (Denver) that is pro-mandates & completely against personal choice (It's not feasible for me to move to another state right now). This obviously causes consternation & frustration when they say natural/post-infection immunity doesn't matter at all & that any concerns with long-term safety issues of the vaccines is completely unwarranted. This is unacceptable and my son & I aren't going to take this lying down and have to push back against these mandates!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ultrairon
If it forces some like minded people to get vaccinated its worth it. People die every day, it shouldn't be a taboo subject.
I couldn't agree more. Those that espouse "choice...personal rights" are correct in IMO. As many have said each choice comes with corresponding social responsibilities.
The Italian gentleman turned his opinion into an assault and his local press had probably had enough of his history of actively dangerous social history.
We don't want anyone to die of Covid. That said: is there anyone here that wouldn't react very strongly to someone putting your children or elders' lives at risk to prove some sort of point?

In Australia we have just relaxed the rules for what it means to be a close contact with someone with covid, meaning that more people are free to enjoy themselves on NYE (and to work on NYE; considering our ever increasing case - and therefore potential exposure - numbers, this is important for hospitality).

Obviously some common sense prevailing, as double vaccinated, covid appears to be no more deadly than the flu (though more contagious), particularly when it comes to omnicron.

In Australia we have just relaxed the rules for what it means to be a close contact with someone with covid, meaning that more people are free to enjoy themselves on NYE (and to work on NYE; considering our ever increasing case - and therefore potential exposure - numbers, this is important for hospitality).

Obviously some common sense prevailing, as double vaccinated, covid appears to be no more deadly than the flu (though more contagious), particularly when it comes to omnicron.

The updated definition of a close contact is:

a close contact will be redefined as exposure to the virus within a household setting for more than four hours

The revised definition seems to acknowledge the far lower virulence of omicron now sweeping the country and much of the world. The revision is being described as a “game-changer” national agreement to live with Covid-19 by releasing Australians from isolation requirements, reducing queues at PCR testing centres and throwing a lifeline to businesses crippled by staff shortages.

The revised definition seems to acknowledge the far lower virulence of omicron now sweeping the country and much of the world. The revision is being described as a “game-changer” national agreement to live with Covid-19 by releasing Australians from isolation requirements, reducing queues at PCR testing centres and throwing a lifeline to businesses crippled by staff shortages.
Delta has entered the chat. With only 3/4 of the population with 2 doses and relatively few with boosters, letting go of the rope seems premature. At least you guys are not starting cruise ships.

Delta has entered the chat. With only 3/4 of the population with 2 doses and relatively few with boosters, letting go of the rope seems premature. At least you guys are not starting cruise ships.

We will see. Nobody is talking delta here and that includes the epidemiologists and medicos. The only reason we have relatively few with boosters is most had their 2nd shot in the last few months - Australia was late to start but now a greater proportion fully vaccinated than most developed nations. Boosters are not due yet.

Not sure what you mean by this? If you are referring to Australia this article might be of interest. This was in early November.

Those numbers don't dispute my claim. Unless you have better stats, Australia has about 3/4 with 2 vaccine doses. Maryland has about 70%. Ask me what delta and omicron are capable of it you let restrictions go. We now have more people in the hospital than at any time of this pandemic. It might not be evident during your summer, but if you think the pandemic is over...

We will see. Nobody is talking delta here and that includes the epidemiologists and medicos. The only reason we have relatively few with boosters is most had their 2nd shot in the last few months - Australia was late to start but now a greater proportion fully vaccinated than most developed nations. Boosters are not due yet.
So, the 1600+ people in hospital were not infected with Delta? And they represent the proverbial tip of the iceberg. Your country has performed better than most, but I think a false sense of security may be setting in.

Those numbers don't dispute my claim. Unless you have better stats, Australia has about 3/4 with 2 vaccine doses. Maryland has about 70%. Ask me what delta and omicron are capable of it you let restrictions go. We now have more people in the hospital than at any time of this pandemic. It might not be evident during your summer, but if you think the pandemic is over...

So, the 1600+ people in hospital were not infected with Delta? And they represent the proverbial tip of the iceberg. Your country has performed better than most, but I think a false sense of security may be setting in.

There are not more people in hospital than ever in Australia - to the contrary. But time will tell and I think I’m right. Plus Australia hasn’t seen any spikes over winter. Having mild winters we don’t huddle in our homes.

Reactions: Ultrairon
I went back to page 345 and didn’t see it mentioned so don’t know if anyone has brought it up yet.

But almost nobody in healthcare at my work, parents work, friends, school, and social media groups I’m in are happy about the CDC guidelines for healthcare workers having less time off when sick with covid and that they can go to work while still sick due to decreased staffing and the AHA saying that starting CPR is more imperative then the staffs safety with PPE.

All the CDC guidelines have done is make even more people upset, not want to work, worry they’ll get their coworkers or patients sick, and not want to be in healthcare anymore. Then with AHA, yes ACLS and BLS are imperative to start ASAP to maintain blood circulation, perfusion, and respiration but for any other precaution they want you to wear PPE. And that is with covid having more PPE then every other precaution with contact, airborne, droplet, and standard versus something like bacterial meningitis, tuberculosis, or crusted scabies.

Reactions: Cookster15

It's politics and economics. The goverment health officers are fading into the background not to mention the epidemiologists and researchers. The government has made their decision on Omni based on a drop with deaths and severe illness but that is still stretching the health system, probably with mainly unvaccinated patients due to the high infection rate. The Swedish approach to Covid is being adopted now it seems by many countries that previously used lockdowns quite often. Many people may not stay in hospital for long but they are still going to hospital and more and more hospitals are getting higher numbers of staff infected so its a vicious circle. Look what's happening in China, some cities have started implementing lockdowns again, strict lockdowns.

TRENDING THREADS