• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Could Jeff Novitsky keep Armstrong from racing Tour de France ?

There must be a change of mindset and an "overwhelming" pressure on the Feds from fans and cycling insiders alike for something to happen quick. But this case will drag on like Valverde's ... until sometime mid next year after Armstrong has retired, a lightbulb clicks in people's heads. Sadly I think that's what its going to come down to.
 
May 25, 2009
332
0
0
Visit site
tubularglue said:
what would need to happen ?

Not in 26 Days - he can't.

Plus, as I posted in an earler thread - he hasn't actually confimred that he is officially investigating FLoyd's comments. The Times and WSJ say so but to me that could mean he is still seeing if there is enough to make a case and if this case is worthy of pursuing. All these years of watching Armstrong get away with murder while nobody here (media etc) ever really gave a crap has made me cynical as all hell. Now all of the sudden somebody of importance (Novitzky) actually gives a crap and has the power to do something? It seems to good to be true.

Nik
 
Feb 21, 2010
1,007
0
0
Visit site
oldschoolnik said:
Not in 26 Days - he can't.

Plus, as I posted in an earler thread - he hasn't actually confimred that he is officially investigating FLoyd's comments. The Times and WSJ say so but to me that could mean he is still seeing if there is enough to make a case and if this case is worthy of pursuing. All these years of watching Armstrong get away with murder while nobody here (media etc) ever really gave a crap has made me cynical as all hell. Now all of the sudden somebody of importance (Novitzky) actually gives a crap and has the power to do something? It seems to good to be true.

Nik

To the extent that it is on Novitsky, probably not.

It could be that Lance's non-start at Le Tour is on USADA to execute.

Should the UCI really have asked the ADA's to investigate Landis' claims, and should just one corroboration exist, Lance could be withheld.

It could also be the ASO who kindly un-invites Radioshack, given the number of current riders/employees who Landis named (Lance, Levi, Bruyneel).

The other option is for Lance to have some setback so that he can miss the race. Not going to happen? Well, did anyone think he was going to immediately fall on his face right after the Landis story broke?
 
Jun 30, 2009
367
0
0
Visit site
Colm.Murphy said:
It could also be the ASO who kindly un-invites Radioshack, given the number of current riders/employees who Landis named (Lance, Levi, Bruyneel).

The other option is for Lance to have some setback so that he can miss the race. Not going to happen? Well, did anyone think he was going to immediately fall on his face right after the Landis story broke?

1. you're right, i don't understand why they couldn't go all 2008 astana on radioshack and pull their team invite. at this point that seems like a fairly reasonable idea.

2. another thing that lance could've done to avoid having to ride the 2010 tour de france in the face of doping accusations would be to stay retired. which he didn't. the fact that he came back and essentially invited this controversy leads me to believe that he'll be on the starting ramp basically no matter what.
 
May 25, 2009
332
0
0
Visit site
ilillillli said:
1. you're right, i don't understand why they couldn't go all 2008 astana on radioshack and pull their team invite. at this point that seems like a fairly reasonable idea.

keep in mind head of the governing body says Flandis is not credible and regard the whole thing as a hoax (like Manzano, et al.) McQaid ain't gonna pull golden Goose's invite.
 
Mar 12, 2010
305
0
0
Visit site
Pharmstrong is too much of an ego manic to quit before the Tour. All that trash he talked about Contador has got to be backed up, in his mind.

Fortunately, he won't be able to back up anything. Can't wait for the interviews...guess he'll badmouth Astana and their "'roid" riders.

Pot calling the kettle...
 
Aug 13, 2009
12,855
1
0
Visit site
If this was 3 years ago Armstrong would be staying home but since they wacked Patrice Clerc the ASO is back to ignoring the issue.....and following the money
 
Feb 21, 2010
1,007
0
0
Visit site
Race Radio said:
If this was 3 years ago Armstrong would be staying home but since they wacked Patrice Clerc the ASO is back to ignoring the issue.....and following the money

Very astute observation.

Back to business as usual.
 

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
3,853
0
0
Visit site
Why would Novitsky want or need to keep Lance from starting the TdF?
Why would Novitsky even be concerned about the 2010 TdF?

Unless he is a Contador FanBoy bangbang.


And the ASO does not need the stinkin' UCI.
The ASO have already said they do not need the AFLD.

Let the ASO run the Tour on their OWN.....Henri Desgrange style.
The ASO can decide if Lance can ride or not.
 
Feb 14, 2010
2,202
0
0
Visit site
barn yard said:
mcquaid does not decide who gets an invite to the tour

He wants to for next year, and the Giro, and the Vuelta, then world domination until Doctor Who comes in to stop him :eek:

But yeah, the ASO has said that the top seventeen in final team rankings this year get automatic invitations, which is cool, but now he's trying to change the system which oddly enough might end up guaranteeing Radio Shack a spot.
 
Aug 4, 2009
286
0
0
Visit site
Even though I believe Landis 100%, I would not want RadioShack's invite to be withdrawn. The precedent would be unfortunate - want to get rid of one of your rivals - just arrange for someone to throw enough mud.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
The Shack will start the Tour in 2010, guaranteed. And the cycling world, no matter how much they hate him, will not turn down the huge $$$ revenue they'll make simply by the hype they'll spew in an AC vs. LA royal rumble.

It's all about the dollars!!!!

After it's done and he retires then the legal battle can go forward.
 
Colm.Murphy said:
T...the other option is for Lance to have some setback so that he can miss the race. Not going to happen? Well, did anyone think he was going to immediately fall on his face right after the Landis story broke?

I'll have to look back through the archives, but this is exactly what I predict will happen - a last-minute, engineered withdrawal as a result of some sickness or accident, like being hit by a truck.

The Tour is not something Novitzky can directly keep Lance from racing.

Remember, whilst Novitzky seems a larger-than-life figure, he's "just" a Special Agent w/in the FDA's Office of Criminal Investigations. His job is to investigate allegations of a crime - or crimes - having been committed, and provide whatever evidence he unearths to the Dept. of Justice, where the responsible US Attorney would be the one to decide whether or not the case goes forward - and the next step would be to seek an indictment from a Grand Jury, I believe (???).

I think you'd have an easier time making the case that Landis kept Lance from riding the Tour (were that to happen), rather than laying it at Novitzky's feet.

[And Moderator(s) - can you change the thread title to reflect the correct spelling of the Special Agent's last name? "Novitzky" w/ a "Z"]
 
Alpe d'Huez said:
Here's a more fascinating question:

What if Shack enters this year's Tour as planned, and Lance wins?

Then what?

Then I will publicly congratulate Lance for doing a Valverde and riding and winning a race when he knew that there was a possibility that eventually he would be stripped of that title once it'd been proven that he both doped and engaged in criminal behavior?
 
Oct 25, 2009
344
0
0
Visit site
As if that is going to happen!

But if he wins he wins and world as we know it goes beserk for whatever reason/s. Many would say it is evidence he is still doping, others might says it shows he would have won clean anyway so why all the fuss? Many variations on the above are possible. If subsequently found guily his reputation/business ventures will no doubt suffer but like bad news in markets query to what extent that has not already been factored into the brand (and various contingencies well advanced). Given the mayhem which may follow (especially if co accused and more are implicated) who knows what will happen to cycling but one thing I can guarantee is that German TV will not be resuming 'normal coverage' anytime soon.

Could he hold onto prizemoney if subsequently rubbed out based on Flloyd's accusations being substantiated and accepted by USADA/CAS et al? We have the Valverde precedent, for what is it worth and for what it might say about that but I would have thought this likely (unless shown to have doped for/at this year's Tour). Armstrong did not ride for more than 2 years after the 2005 TdF win - would that period count towards any retrospective penalty imposed in relation to the US Postal era?

Fascinating may be but 'it ain't gonna happen' - so back to work.
 
Apr 27, 2010
343
0
0
Visit site
If LA exercises his expertise in drug taking, he can win the tour again... if he pulls out all the stops, bribes, maximum dope, etc, it's totally possible he could make Alberto look like a choir boy. Especially if AC feels the doping crack down pressure somehow, perhaps LA can make that happen?
 
santacruz said:
If LA exercises his expertise in drug taking, he can win the tour again... if he pulls out all the stops, bribes, maximum dope, etc, it's totally possible he could make Alberto look like a choir boy. Especially if AC feels the doping crack down pressure somehow, perhaps LA can make that happen?

Then why couldn't he win last year? True he didn't have enough miles under him b/c of a collarbone thing but he hasn't put many miles in this year as well. He didn't race for 3rd last year. He raced to win so you have to assume that he was juiced to the gills -- old habits you know. And remember, his 3rd place was due to the TTT and being in a break courtesy of Hincapie. No TTT and no insider info and he's easily outside the top 5. He was also outside the top 10 (16) in the last time trial -- I can't remember when he last placed so low in a TT. I think he's just too old at this point to ever win again.
 
Feb 21, 2010
1,007
0
0
Visit site
La Vie Claire said:
Then why couldn't he win last year? True he didn't have enough miles under him b/c of a collarbone thing but he hasn't put many miles in this year as well. He didn't race for 3rd last year. He raced to win so you have to assume that he was juiced to the gills -- old habits you know. And remember, his 3rd place was due to the TTT and being in a break courtesy of Hincapie. No TTT and no insider info and he's easily outside the top 5. He was also outside the top 10 (16) in the last time trial -- I can't remember when he last placed so low in a TT. I think he's just too old at this point to ever win again.

Agree with this. I think he is simply past his "use by" date.

He threw away an option for 8 by retiring one year too early.
 
Nov 17, 2009
221
0
0
Visit site
What about a scenario that AC and the others are forced to cut down the juice, and Armstrong, being cosy with the UCI, is jacking like he's never done before?
 

TRENDING THREADS