CQ ranking

Page 41 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 14, 2010
727
0
0
The Hitch said:
A point the Hitch made ...
Yep, Janez is the big risk in my team, but, you have to pick someone. Agree, missing CVV is probably a big oversight. Di Luca, I was guided a bit from the quote from Cipollini - and who am i to argue with Super Mario - where he described Di Luca as a small motor improved by PEDs (comparing him to Basso from memory).

Lots of Aussies, but my theory for the game was to pick young guys coming through who will have another year of riding in them, so a lot of those Aussies are 22-23yo types who should (hopefully) improve their points on last year just by being a year more mature/year more racing in the legs. I would pick 22-23yo's from Euro nations if I knew them better.

Not too concerned about being an early front runner, if you had Greipel in your team last year you'd be an early front runner, and he still got many more wins through the year. Yes timing of Aus champs distorts points early, but I still expect many more wins from Goss, Bobridge and co. - fingers crossed.

But hey, makes the season a bit more fun.
 
Dec 8, 2010
44
0
0
Well Played

Well played, those 4 people including AAC1983 who had Guardini. Was it at the Girobio that he showed up?
 
Jan 18, 2010
3,059
0
0
Michielveedeebee said:
The bait was taken :D
Then the recipient of the bait is squished by an of control nuclear submarine.

The Hitch has decided who wins so theres no point in logging in anymore.. I also dont have Guardini so thats it.. life is so cruel lol.
 
Passista said:
Well played, those 4 people including AAC1983 who had Guardini. Was it at the Girobio that he showed up?
The win in the babygiro was his 10. win of last season (he won 19 totally) so in that stage he was actually the big favourite and the whole year was his breakthrough. But he already was a very prominent sprintertalent as a junior. But before last season I thought Nizzolo was faster.

Anyways I had no doubt he had to be in my team, hopefully he will make a bit up for all my Geox-riders and their lack of wild cards.
 
sublimit said:
I've seen enough of your posts to not take you particularly seriously but I realise other people do for reasons I've yet to understand.

sublimit said:
I noticed that! The self styled expert languishing with the no hopers...
I haven't seen Hitches team yet but it better be good after all the hype about it!
sublimit said:
Then the recipient of the bait is squished by an of control nuclear submarine.

The Hitch has decided who wins so theres no point in logging in anymore.. I also dont have Guardini so thats it.. life is so cruel lol.
Is there a reason for these very nasty attacks directed at me? Moreover for the sudden decision to make multiple posts of which the sole purpose is to host these unpleasant, and generaly weak attacks at me?
 
Nov 23, 2009
649
0
0
Hey, I don't think attacks are really necessary but its valid to ask you to stop repeatedly posting in a way where you profess to know who has won the game already, how to win the game, which riders will and won't be good, which teams are the best, etc. I mean, you posted your speculation (which was a great analysis btw) and we all read it, but with respect please don't slip it into every 10 posts.

Please understand that what you think is the ultimate team will not be the team that finishes on top. Already we can see with Guardini that a guy is going to rake in points this season and he has nothing to do with your "superbuys" or your "favourite" teams to win the competition.

Respect the element of chance, the game hasn't already been decided.

Thanks.
 
Jul 8, 2009
501
0
0
Thanks Bicing... Phew... so the game isn't over?? After reading the last page of this thread I thought that anyone in the top 10 (apart from ham'n'eggs & PCutter apparently!) is out of the game??

As you were gentlemen... He says... stroking his chin... basking in the glory of his current top 10 position! :p
 
Jun 1, 2010
63
0
0
the only chance I'll get for TV coverage............

Well I've been offline for a few days and it sure looks like my team has created some comment. Let's close the competition now!!!!! :D
Yes it is an all-australian team, picked just after the Pegasus debacle when I was lamenting the lack of an Aussie team. I did put some thought into it though (as it appears some people have picked up on) with bargains like Haussler & Gerrans and guys who were obviously going to improve like Goss and Bobridge, but when you are selecting 33 riders it becomes more of a choice of who to leave out.
My aim is to get my 7500 points back, plus hopefully another 1000 or so along the way. I very much doubt that I'll finish last, as has been suggested by some, but obviously I'm not taking the game anywhere near as seriously as some people........
I like the cycling analogy that I'm off the front at the 30 K mark off the queen stage at the Tour, solo. I'm bound to get absolutely swamped well before the finish but I'm getting some coverage for my sponsors.
Thanks again to Hugo for setting up this competition.
 
This game will go down to the wire.
Those who best understood the CQ points system, should do well.
I would have used a slightly different strategy, if I had.

To win requires all of a team's high price purchases to match or slightly better their scores of 2010. If a couple of these riders have an off season, that team will fail.
In this respect, keeping your team injury free is crucial and very much down to luck.

Those teams that achieve this most difficult feat, will then battle it out with the Guardini-like bargain buys. A few are already turning out results.
The more you have managed to select, the better your chances.
 
Apr 14, 2010
727
0
0
Mellow Velo said:
T
Those who best understood the CQ points system, should do well.
Geez I hope not, I started looking at CQ and decided too much hard work and went the dumb luck route instead
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,654
1
0
Someone who didn't take a lot of time looking at the teams or riders could do well and win and someone who could of studied quite hard won't do very well. Some of it is skill and some just sheer dumb luck.
 
bicing said:
Hey, I don't think attacks are really necessary but its valid to ask you to stop repeatedly posting in a way where you profess to know who has won the game already, how to win the game, which riders will and won't be good, which teams are the best,
What a stupid exageration. The point of the game is that it opens discussion. THe Op and others have countless times asked for analysis opinions on who will win. I may have given mine a lot more than others, but i am far from the only one to have done so.

And i have at no point claimed to "profess" any knowledge or certainty regarding what the outcome will be. Just offered vague speculation on what type of tactic will work. an opinion on some riders as to how they will done. In all cases the opinion has been preceeded by a discussion on that particulat rider/ player.

Also his attacks on me are not limited to this thread. They seem to be purely personal, unprovoked attempts at some sort of a reaction.
 
auscyclefan94 said:
Someone who didn't take a lot of time looking at the teams or riders could do well and win and someone who could of studied quite hard won't do very well. Some of it is skill and some just sheer dumb luck.
PCutter said:
Geez I hope not, I started looking at CQ and decided too much hard work and went the dumb luck route instead
Mellow Velo said:
This game will go down to the wire.
Those who best understood the CQ points system, should do well.
I would have used a slightly different strategy, if I had.

To win requires all of a team's high price purchases to match or slightly better their scores of 2010. If a couple of these riders have an off season, that team will fail.
In this respect, keeping your team injury free is crucial and very much down to luck.

Those teams that achieve this most difficult feat, will then battle it out with the Guardini-like bargain buys. A few are already turning out results.
The more you have managed to select, the better your chances.
I dont know if you can call it dumb luck or pure genius but Dennis Menchov is now looking like the buy of the season.

Only 2 people have him - roundabout and Luckyboy. Both have good teams, roundabout especially.

Menchov cost 883. If he focused on the Tour he would likely get a similar score.

But now going for the Giro and Vuelta, even if he were to only podium in both, when you add up points for stage finishes, kom placing, points jersey placing, holding leaders jerwsey and overall placing, Menchov could be raking them in May and September.

And roundabout is a very knowledgeable poster. he has already been getting good points. Would be a worthy winner.
 
hrotha said:
But Menchov has only been competitive in two GTs in the same season in 2008. He's not very reliable in that regard.
That was Giro Tour though.

in 09 he rode Tour after Giro as well.

In fact Menchov has ridden every Tour since 2001.

This year hes not doing it. Hes not exactly a classics specialist either. Will he really just do one and then leave the rest of the season alone?

I think hell want to show what a mistake it was to leave him out. While i hope Rujano and Scarponi can stop Menchov at il giro, if Nibali can get a podium at Giro Vuelta, The pope most definately can too.
 
The Hitch said:
That was Giro Tour though.

in 09 he rode Tour after Giro as well.

In fact Menchov has ridden every Tour since 2001.

This year hes not doing it. Hes not exactly a classics specialist either. Will he really just do one and then leave the rest of the season alone?

I think hell want to show what a mistake it was to leave him out. While i hope Rujano and Scarponi can stop Menchov at il giro, if Nibali can get a podium at Giro Vuelta, The pope most definately can too.
Yes, but the main problem with Menchov up to this point, I think, was that at times it looked like he just couldn't be bothered. Like once he's done enough to justify having ridden that season, he sort of lets go. For me it's not a matter of physical potential, he's clearly superior to Nibali right now. You're right, wanting to show ASO and UCI that they made a mistake with him and Geox might be enough to fuel his motivation, but I think it's only normal to remain skeptical. Counting on him to do well in both Giro and Vuelta is a risk.
 
hrotha said:
Yes, but the main problem with Menchov up to this point, I think, was that at times it looked like he just couldn't be bothered. Like once he's done enough to justify having ridden that season, he sort of lets go. For me it's not a matter of physical potential, he's clearly superior to Nibali right now. You're right, wanting to show ASO and UCI that they made a mistake with him and Geox might be enough to fuel his motivation, but I think it's only normal to remain skeptical. Counting on him to do well in both Giro and Vuelta is a risk.
Your right.

But 2 weeks ago, it looked like Menchov would just be doing the Tour, possibly a podium finish, maybe a stage win in the tt. Now its possible hell be up there in 2 gts. And what if the italians deny him in the Giro. Will a 3 time gt winner be satisfied with a Giro podium? Especially considering the likely weakness of the Vuelta line up. Or if Contador is there, the chance to defeat the great one while hes off form.
 
Update 3

Not much has happened since last update. The top 10 still consists of the same 10 teams but with a few changes. More interestingly, Roundabout is no longer in last place. Two of his big name signings, Cunego and Chavanel, made sure that he now also is on the scoreboard with and grand total of 9 points. Instead Wiggins_fan has taken over the infamous 88. place.

Top 10:

Place (last update) Team name - points

1. (1) microdose - 1718
2. (2) Kevin Rudd's Hairdryer - 1392
3. (3) Pcutter - 1277
4. (4) auto de fé - 1140
5. (5) Spider1964 - 1094
6. (8) lancaster - 983
7. (7) Moondance - 963
8. (9) LukeSchmid - 931
9. (6) Bicing - 902
10. (10) trotters aotearoa - 831

Download link:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Q0591KB3
 
Mar 14, 2009
3,436
0
0
Hugo Koblet said:
Update 3

Not much has happened since last update. The top 10 still consists of the same 10 teams but with a few changes. More interestingly, Roundabout is no longer in last place. Two of his big name signings, Cunego and Chavanel, made sure that he now also is on the scoreboard with and grand total of 9 points. Instead Wiggins_fan has taken over the infamous 88. place.

Top 10:

Place (last update) Team name - points

1. (1) microdose - 1718
2. (2) Kevin Rudd's Hairdryer - 1392
3. (3) Pcutter - 1277
4. (4) auto de fé - 1140
5. (5) Spider1964 - 1094
6. (8) lancaster - 983
7. (7) Moondance - 963
8. (9) LukeSchmid - 931
9. (6) Bicing - 902
10. (10) trotters aotearoa - 831

Download link:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Q0591KB3
Thanks!

Well, I'm still way behind but hey, talk to me after the spring classics :D
 
Skibby the bush kangaroo said:
For reference here's what would have been the optimal team for 2010 (based on 2009 CQ ranking) assuming a limit of 30 riders. I haven't taken into account the rules on dopers.

Name Points Cost
NIBALI Vincenzo 2203 979
RODRIGUEZ OLIVER Joaquin 1976 859
SCARPONI Michele 1353 672
VINOKOUROV Alexandre 1318 390
HESJEDAL Ryder 1145 494
HORNER Chris 1141 191
FREIRE GOMEZ Oscar 1127 511
ANTON HERNANDEZ Igor 952 242
BRAJKOVIC Janez 950 456
SAGAN Peter 928 88
MARCATO Marco 912 470
MCEWEN Robbie 864 268
ROCHE Nicolas 847 376
RICCO Riccardo 756 50
VAN DIJK Stefan 754 303
PORTE Richie 733 120
VELITS Peter 614 182
PARDILLA BELLON Sergio 585 129
PINEAU Cédric 566 27
SPILAK Simon 555 121
VAN GARDEREN Tejay 531 169
MOLLEMA Bauke 524 38
KEUKELEIRE Jens 479 8
GUSEV Vladimir 443 25
GUTIERREZ PALACIOS Jose Ivan 428 97
VANDEWALLE Kristof 427 54
BLYTHE Adam 406 28
NIEVE ITURRALDE Mikel 385 65
SELLA Emanuele 354 47
MODOLO Sacha 330 40
Total 24586 7499
would be interesting to repeat this at intervals, throughout the year perhaps after the giro, after the tour and at the end...
 
microdose said:
Yes it is an all-australian team, picked just after the Pegasus debacle when I was lamenting the lack of an Aussie team. I did put some thought into it though (as it appears some people have picked up on) with bargains like Haussler & Gerrans and guys who were obviously going to improve like Goss and Bobridge, but when you are selecting 33 riders it becomes more of a choice of who to leave out.
My aim is to get my 7500 points back, plus hopefully another 1000 or so along the way. I very much doubt that I'll finish last, as has been suggested by some, but obviously I'm not taking the game anywhere near as seriously as some people........
I don't think your team will do all that bad. At the end of the season it would be interesting to see what national squad could have produced the most points.

Plus, you left out young Lachlan Morton and you could have had him for free! 18 and he's about to finish 6th at Langkawi.
 
Sep 27, 2009
1,008
0
0
Hugo Koblet said:
Update 3

Not much has happened since last update. The top 10 still consists of the same 10 teams but with a few changes. More interestingly, Roundabout is no longer in last place. Two of his big name signings, Cunego and Chavanel, made sure that he now also is on the scoreboard with and grand total of 9 points. Instead Wiggins_fan has taken over the infamous 88. place.

Top 10:

Place (last update) Team name - points

1. (1) microdose - 1718
2. (2) Kevin Rudd's Hairdryer - 1392
3. (3) Pcutter - 1277
4. (4) auto de fé - 1140
5. (5) Spider1964 - 1094
6. (8) lancaster - 983
7. (7) Moondance - 963
8. (9) LukeSchmid - 931
9. (6) Bicing - 902
10. (10) trotters aotearoa - 831

Download link:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Q0591KB3
Still in the top 10, although I suspect not for too long, but it is fun while it lasts. Thanks Hugo
 
Jun 1, 2010
63
0
0
jaylew said:
I don't think your team will do all that bad. At the end of the season it would be interesting to see what national squad could have produced the most points.

Plus, you left out young Lachlan Morton and you could have had him for free! 18 and he's about to finish 6th at Langkawi.
Good point, problem was I'd never heard of him. Would be a good substitution for Trent Lowe who I somehow think is not going to score much this season, or maybe ever, given the whole Spanish Doctor/$500 K saga.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Games and Fantasy Cycling 976

ASK THE COMMUNITY