• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Critérium du Dauphiné May 30-June 6 2021

Page 52 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Treating Lutsenko like the real threat would have been stupid. Why would you put Mas on Portes wheel only to back MAL later?

Also MAL waited until the hard part of the climb was over to drop everyone from the yellow jersey group
Huh? This was as well ridden tactically as one could possibly expect. I can't think of any scenario where Movistar can expect a better outcome than this. They rode well and used the options they had to put their GC rider (López) in as good a position as possible.

No reason not to keep all 3 safe until the Alps. I think none of the 3 are good enough for Ineos leadership at the Tour at this rate.

Richie Porte was the strongest out there today and he is not good enough for team leadership ...WTF ?

In fact he is probably the only rider at Ineos going to the Tour who can stay near the Slovenians ...Carapaz too on the climbs but he cant TT

Thomas was also not as strong as expected, near the top of the climb he looked worse than Lutsenko.
Yes, he did his classic surge at the end, but he looked vulnerable.
Richie + Richard as the leaders for the Tour?

I don't know how much you can read into today's stage, although the last climb was very entertaining. Do Tour GC hopefuls want to be in top shape now, or just be good enough? Porte looked great, but I just can't tell about Thomas, Hart, Lopez, Mas...are they rounding into form and don't want to go too far into the red?

It's good to see relatively fresh faces like Gaudu, Haig, O'Connor and AP-P contending on a climb like this. On the other hand, I expected a little more from SK, Quintana and G. Martin.

Porte as designated Ineos leader? I wouldn't anoit him with that crown in early June.

Huh? This was as well ridden tactically as one could possibly expect. I can't think of any scenario where Movistar can expect a better outcome than this. They rode well and used the options they had to put their GC rider (López) in as good a position as possible.
MAL was the 2nd strongest GC contender on the day, yet he lies 7th overall now. How is that the best possible outcome?

Reactions: movingtarget
Richie Porte was the strongest out there today and he is not good enough for team leadership ...WTF ?

In fact he is probably the only rider at Ineos going to the Tour who can stay near the Slovenians ...Carapaz too on the climbs but he cant TT
Specifically not good enough for Ineos leadership, given he has a single 3rd place in a GT at the ripe young age of 36, despite winning a million WT stage races like the Dauphine.

Reactions: Bolder
MAL was the 2nd strongest GC contender on the day, yet he lies 7th overall now. How is that the best possible outcome?
I never said it was the best possible outcome, but best possible expected outcome. And it's not clear at all that he was the second strongest rider today, nor that he was strong enough to ride everyone else (other than Porte) out of his wheel. He tried to get away at least twice before he actually did (and Valverde did well to shuffle the group and allow for attacks to happen), and the tactical situation meant that once he got away he had the help of Mas, a 'slow' pace behind him, and a Porte who had already been in the wind far more than he had.

I would not be surprised if Ineos will actually try to keep Porte on GC at the Tour, although it might be hard to manage with 3 other leaders. If they can avoid responsibility they could keep their options open though. Still, Porte has looked imperious at the Dauphiné / in races leading up to the Tour and rarely has it translated to an actually good result at the Tour, so I wouldn't be too hasty to declare him outright leader.

Reactions: Sandisfan
When they attacked initially there were Ineos, JV, Bahrian at the front so Movistar probably felt obliged to have someone up there as well. Then people whined about Mas not working with Porte, which was rather wise from him, knowing that he has his leader (Lopez) behind while Porte rode more for himself (altough G didn't loose that much in the end).
What I find cofusing is, if Lopez is the leader for Movistar, why was he working for Valverde yesterday and not Mas? Yesterday's action suggested Mas was the leader (and Valverde for the stage of course).

Okay if the big plan of Movistar was to go for MAL today, then I think it was a clear mistake for him to not directly react to Portes attack because I think if Thomas had been feeling it they simply would've ridden for him.

I’m not a huge Superman defender, but Porte’s attack was from over 7 KMs from the finish. I think he gambled on Thomas overtaking Porte on the climb and clearly underestimated just how good Richie is in 1 week races.

Ok the TDF, its between the Slovenians
They deserve favouritism but Ineos will have one of their strongest teams ever. Still probably won't be enough. Pogacar hasn't even matured yet and Roglic is at the peak of his career. Thomas and Porte past their best and Carapaz can be up and down although his Giro win was solid. Interesting to see Porte's late career surge but one week races have always been his strength and like Valverde he has won quite a few. Glad he got his podium last season but Ineos have the job ahead of them to win the Tour.

I’m not a huge Superman defender, but Porte’s attack was from over 7 KMs from the finish. I think he gambled on Thomas overtaking Porte on the climb and clearly underestimated just how good Richie is in 1 week races.
This. Movistar may have failed at assessing the strength of Ineos riders, but at least they ride as a team, not against each other. Then, they have Valverde "giving it all" for his teammates and still finishing within one minute.

Ineos have no-one that can beat the Slovenians one on one. All for one isn't going to cut it this time, they'll just be doing the work for the Slovenians. Imho, they have to go guerilla with as many guys as possible on the last climb. UAE and TJV should take responsibility to control the race anyway.
Mountain aren't very well suited to chaos and guerilla tactics IMO.

Ability. Neither lost time yesterday, but I think only López was able to do the job (and not lose time).
Thought of exactly the same thing. They knew Lopez was stronger (although Mas looked quite comfortable, but remember it was only 4-5% gradients when MAL was in the front so the draft was siginificant) and they were very focused on the stage win so they needed a very high pace to prevent any attacks. And apparently Lopez was the only one who could provide that.

TRENDING THREADS