• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cyclassics Hamburg(1.UWT), 20 August 2017

Winner?

• Alexander Kristoff

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • André Greipel

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Arnaud Demare

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Caleb Ewan

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Dylan Groenewegen

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Edvald Boasson Hagen

• Elia Viviani

• Fernando Gaviria Rendon

• Marcel Kittel

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Nacer Bouhanni

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re:

TMP402 said:
Can't wait for the one post after mine, which will come about an hour after it finishes: "Oh, this was on? Who won?"

Sorry to disrupt your thesis.... but what's up with making a mountain sprint halfway up a "mountain "?

Thìs race really...... well, I was thinking Kittel, but now I might consider Kristoff.

With the first Bergwertung, that's actually a bit of a glitch, the 'steeper' part (it isn't very steep) runs to the point where the prize is given, then it's false flat after that so not considered worthy of it. With the only climb that ever has any significance to the race, the Waseberg, similarly they put the GPM at the end of the Waseberg road, rather than at the specific highest point reached.

Why paying attention to sponsor names? Eneco stopped sponsoring the Lowlands Tour, so obviously the name had to change because in our commercial era, sponsor names become race names. It's easier to sponsor teams than to sponsor races. Everybody knows about Quick Step, who knows about the main sponsors of the Tour of Wallonia?

Anyway when Eneco stopped sponsoring the Lowlands Tour, Golazo provisionally named the race as such: Lowlands Tour. The romantic part of me would rather call it that way. Refer to the geographical name of a race rather to the commercial name. The two main German races are the Francfurt GP and the Hamburg classics and will always be whatever their sponsors are.

With regards to the new route, I'm wondering why they are ignoring the cobble sections that exist in that area, or are they?

I think they have to go quite some way out for the genuinely challenging cobbled sections, which are also in the other direction to the Waseberg so as long as that remains the trademark of the race (and it is the only serious obstacle that can be placed within touching distance of the finish) those Lüneburger Heide type cobbles will be a rarity at best. Most likely there are some cobbled roads around Schleswig-Holstein they can use but these are likely to be well-maintained urban cobbles and perfectly aligned, so much less of a challenge than the rough Katzenköpfe in Sachsen-Anhalt or Sachsen.

TRENDING THREADS