• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cycling on USA TVs, desktops, laptops, and handheld devices

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I was right, Italian races added to the US schedule on GCN: https://help.globalcyclingnetwork.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360015571479-United-States-of-America

I was very happy with how it worked for GP Marsellaise. I didn't watch it live but I was able to stream the replay directly to my Roku from my iPhone with one click, the video played smoothly without issues. It was the full HD British Eurosport feed with no commercial breaks.

For the current half price it appears it's worth it with the Italian races and a few other races.

It appears you can watch through a laptop/desktop or Roku?

Reactions: Sandisfan
I'm Not very happy with GCN so far. 2 days out of the last 7 I've received API errors and had to go watch the race on Tiz. This is why I prefer TV instead of streams. There always seem to be glitches and it's very irritating to pay for races you cannot watch :( GCN is worse than Flobikes or Fubo so far :mad: Hopefully they get some decent programmers on staff soon! If I can't watch Strade-Bianchi I'll go ballistic.

Reactions: Sandisfan and Lui98
I'm Not very happy with GCN so far. 2 days out of the last 7 I've received API errors and had to go watch the race on Tiz. This is why I prefer TV instead of streams. There always seem to be glitches and it's very irritating to pay for races you cannot watch :( GCN is worse than Flobikes or Fubo so far :mad: Hopefully they get some decent programmers on staff soon! If I can't watch Strade-Bianchi I'll go ballistic.
I tried to subscribe before the UAE tour but when I click on the subscribe choosing the 24.99 on sale option. The page that comes up on my laptop (I use Firefox but also tried Chrome and even Edge) only has the top and bottom banners the highlighted subscription choice a clickable promo code option the and asterisk followed by you need to provide a valid ZIP Code, otherwise there is nowhere to enter billing Info. I went through support, they only answer the next business day. I did everything they asked and it didn't work. Their regular web page is broken and the support as always thinks it's always YOUR FAULT, often times it is, but when it isn't, they are clueless.

P.S. Their only reply after telling them their page is broken and their solutions don't work is to tell me to download the App to a Smart Phone but I don't have one and the only person close to me who has one is a nephew and although he is a good kid I don't intend to put my billing info on a device that isn't mine.

• Sad
Reactions: Carols
I tried to subscribe before the UAE tour but when I click on the subscribe choosing the 24.99 on sale option. The page that comes up on my laptop (I use Firefox but also tried Chrome and even Edge) only has the top and bottom banners the highlighted subscription choice a clickable promo code option the and asterisk followed by you need to provide a valid ZIP Code, otherwise there is nowhere to enter billing Info. I went through support, they only answer the next business day. I did everything they asked and it didn't work. Their regular web page is broken and the support as always thinks it's always YOUR FAULT, often times it is, but when it isn't, they are clueless.

P.S. Their only reply after telling them their page is broken and their solutions don't work is to tell me to download the App to a Smart Phone but I don't have one and the only person close to me who has one is a nephew and although he is a good kid I don't intend to put my billing info on a device that isn't mine.

Sorry to hear that :(. However at least you haven't wasted your $$ like I have. KBK doesn't work today either...same API and Server error :(

• Wow

After reading that they had a a twitter account (of course they do) I opened my little used FB account. I lately have only been going to the alerts page to see anything from Family. So I went to their FB page and used the message panel and told them of my problem accessing their billing page... They wrote back something, I am looking sideways at with respect to their response, They claimed some sort of Legal issue for billing through a regular web page. If they can bill here in the USA on their App why wouldn't they be able to bill on a regular web page for a service being provided to my location> Weird :(

• Wow
After reading that they had a a twitter account (of course they do) I opened my little used FB account. I lately have only been going to the alerts page to see anything from Family. So I went to their FB page and used the message panel and told them of my problem accessing their billing page... They wrote back something, I am looking sideways at with respect to their response, They claimed some sort of Legal issue for billing through a regular web page. If they can bill here in the USA on their App why wouldn't they be able to bill on a regular web page for a service being provided to my location> Weird :(

I got it for the year and went through their webpage from my laptop. I still haven't downloaded their app. Now after putting in my CC info a page comes up that you have to call Visa/Mastercard/whomever's fraud dept and get it approved through them and then do it again with them on the phone to ensure it goes through. At least that was my experience with it. I'm definitely in the US.

I have an older Win 7 premium laptop running Firefox mostly but also use Chrome for a few things and I even tried on EDGE from Microsoft to try to pay. I cleared cookies and cache on each as suggested but The billing page doesn't format properly on my machine... Weird. Well you know Web site(Tech.) support "It's not our Fault It's Yours" LOL

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: Carols and Koronin
I have an older Win 7 premium laptop running Firefox mostly but also use Chrome for a few things and I even tried on EDGE from Microsoft to try to pay. I cleared cookies and cache on each as suggested but The billing page doesn't format properly on my machine... Weird. Well you know Web site(Tech.) support "It's not our Fault It's Yours" LOL

Sorry you're having so much trouble with it.

I got it for the year and went through their webpage from my laptop. I still haven't downloaded their app. Now after putting in my CC info a page comes up that you have to call Visa/Mastercard/whomever's fraud dept and get it approved through them and then do it again with them on the phone to ensure it goes through. At least that was my experience with it. I'm definitely in the US.

That is because it's billed out of the UK and your CC must authorize foreign purchases. Whenever I make a foreign purchase I notify the CC company in advance so they will authorize it when it comes through.

Reactions: Koronin

Well you just gave enough info to know why you're having problems. Win7 is defunct and I'm sure they don't write their code for operating systems that old. You either need to upgrade your machine, if possible, or buy a win10 one (you can buy a refurbished one very inexpensively). The versions of browsers needed will be totally different also. Your Win version and browser versions cannot render the pages properly.

I can't justify spending that amount of money right now for a new laptop, but thanks (for the different view ...the thanks is not meant to be sarcastic on a reread in preview :) ) and there are many other (10s or even 100s of thousands) sites which work fine with billing on my machine. I think how hard can it be to work with a US company to be a middleman for the transaction. Anyway the transaction is going through the US when using an APP so why is this any different. Well whatever the case I won't be subscribing because of their issues not mine. :(

I can't justify spending that amount of money right now for a new laptop, but thanks (for the different view ...the thanks is not meant to be sarcastic on a reread in preview :) ) and there are many other (10s or even 100s of thousands) sites which work fine with billing on my machine. I think how hard can it be to work with a US company to be a middleman for the transaction. Anyway the transaction is going through the US when using an APP so why is this any different. Well whatever the case I won't be subscribing because of their issues not mine. :(

I just tried it on an old Win8 machine and the subscribe page will not render.

It was built for Android 5.0+ or iOS 11+ . They are still in Open Beta on laptop/desktops and I suspect they will never back port it as there won't be much of a market there.

Sorry but it looks like you're out of luck unless you have a smartphone and want to use it from there. You can cast it to the TV with the proper device.

I'll also cut them some slack on my screaming at them since I'm using a Beta version!!!!

That is because it's billed out of the UK and your CC must authorize foreign purchases. Whenever I make a foreign purchase I notify the CC company in advance so they will authorize it when it comes through.

It was more call Visa instead of the issuing CC company. However, they did give a direct phone number for next time I'm making a purchase that way I can just call. I've actually purchased things through Movistar's site (Spanish purchase) without needing to call about the purchase.

Like you I'm also using their beta for laptop/desktop to watch from.

It was more call Visa instead of the issuing CC company. However, they did give a direct phone number for next time I'm making a purchase that way I can just call. I've actually purchased things through Movistar's site (Spanish purchase) without needing to call about the purchase.

Like you I'm also using their beta for laptop/desktop to watch from.

It depends on the CC providers. Bank of America (my Visa) will always require notification or they will decline a foreign purchase. Discover will usually okay it for a small amount then call and email to call in if you didn't make the purchase.

I hook my laptop up to the tv via HDMI cable to watch it on tv.

Windows 7 should not be a problem honestly, yes it's not supported by Microsoft any more, but it still has about 15-20% market share (within the Windows ecosystem). And for now at least, you can still run all the latest version of Chrome or Firefox on it, which should be enough. And if it doesn't work it's probably something else, like some adblocking browser add-on (best to disable it on such payment sites) or something like that. VPNs or proxies can also mess with stuff like that.

If you're not sure what's installed I suggest you try a latest clean portable edition of either Chrome of Firefox, these require no installation you just choose a folder to extract to. And then try accessign the site withing the portable Chrome or Firefox.

https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/google_chrome_portable
or
https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

Last edited:
  • Love
It depends on the CC providers. Bank of America (my Visa) will always require notification or they will decline a foreign purchase. Discover will usually okay it for a small amount then call and email to call in if you didn't make the purchase.

I hook my laptop up to the tv via HDMI cable to watch it on tv.

Not fully, either that or they know Movistar's provider by now for me as I've made multiple purchases from them and not needed to tell them. Bank of America is one I have. Only had to talk to them once. After that they've let purchases I make through Movistar go through without notification. Maybe they have system that allows for specific companies put on an "ok" list or something.

Also for those without a smartphone I can suggest Bluestacks (its free), it's a Android phone emulator for Windows and MacOS. Basically you can do anything that you would with a phone, with some limitations obviously. Not meant for a phone replacement, but for occasional use it does its job. You can install apps just like you would on your phone.

Download here: https://www.bluestacks.com/

Blustacks-for-PC-Download-2019.png

I splurged and went full FloBikes, GCN+, and I have NBC for the others. The last remaining one is purchasing NBC Gold so I can watch the NBC races live instead of like 12 hours later at 9PM PST. But I am waiting for the NBC Gold cycle to restart in late May then I'll snag that too. It's worth not getting dropped on Tiz with 5 km to go :mad:. Oh, and I can watch them all safely at work without having to worry about sketch adverts popping up.

TRENDING THREADS