• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cycling on USA TVs, desktops, laptops, and handheld devices

Free coverage is pretty dire.
For $20 you get most of the big spring races with NBC's "Gold" package. Which of course expires with the start of the TdF.

https://www.nbcsports.com/gold/cycling?utm_tags=goldcyc1066

Paris-Nice
Volta a Catalunya
Paris-Roubaix
La Fleche Wallonne
Liège-Bastogne-Liège
Amgen Tour of California
Critérium du Dauphiné

img_21105.png

Last edited:
Potomac said:
For $20 you get most of the big spring races with NBC's "Gold" package. Which of course expires with the start of the TdF.

Paris-Nice
March 10 - 17, 2019
Volta a Catalunya
Paris-Roubaix
La Fleche Wallonne
Liège-Bastogne-Liège
Amgen Tour of California
Critérium du Dauphiné

Yeah it's pretty bleak and expensive on the USA cycling front. But Tiz just doesn't cut it!

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Carols said:
Potomac said:

Paris-Nice
March 10 - 17, 2019
Volta a Catalunya
Paris-Roubaix
La Fleche Wallonne
Liège-Bastogne-Liège
Amgen Tour of California
Critérium du Dauphiné

Yeah it's pretty bleak and expensive on the USA cycling front. But Tiz just doesn't cut it!

Flobikes is awesome! While it's pretty pricey $30 a month or $150 a year, they have a new agreement with Eurosports to show all their cycling coverage. They usually get the replay up pretty quickly as well. Have already watched a bunch of races I used to have to watch on Tiz and they have just about every race not covered by NBC gold.

LeMond86 said:
Carols said:
Potomac said:

Paris-Nice
March 10 - 17, 2019
Volta a Catalunya
Paris-Roubaix
La Fleche Wallonne
Liège-Bastogne-Liège
Amgen Tour of California
Critérium du Dauphiné

Flobikes is awesome! While it's pretty pricey $30 a month or $150 a year, they have a new agreement with Eurosports to show all their cycling coverage. They usually get the replay up pretty quickly as well. Have already watched a bunch of races I used to have to watch on Tiz and they have just about every race not covered by NBC gold.

I love Flobikes, but I only get it for May for the Giro and suffer with Tiz for anything else that isn't on NBC Sports Gold, plus I also pay to have NBCSports and Olympic Channel on TV. So it all adds Up!

LeMond86 said:
Carols said:
Potomac said:

Paris-Nice
March 10 - 17, 2019
Volta a Catalunya
Paris-Roubaix
La Fleche Wallonne
Liège-Bastogne-Liège
Amgen Tour of California
Critérium du Dauphiné

I've been considering Flobikes as an option.

I'm too cheap to consider paying :eek: . So I bootleg: tiz some, steephill links, anything that I can get my hands on. I google search until I get something. I watched last year's Giro on Israeli TV, for example :D . And I check the race threads on CN: sometimes, members post links.

Tonton said:
I'm too cheap to consider paying :eek: . So I bootleg: tiz some, steephill links, anything that I can get my hands on. I google search until I get something. I watched last year's Giro on Israeli TV, for example :D . And I check the race threads on CN: sometimes, members post links.
Fire up Hola browser extension, go to Sporza.be, click on the flag that looks like Yves Lampaert's jersey, the page will reload, click on Live Wielrennen. Note that in Europe you have to constantly agree to cookies that's why they are so thin.

i found last year that the Sporza stream worked with no VPN (US IP address). I only used it for E3 which wasn't streamed on Flobikes or Fubo, so that might've been why. Flobikes is excellent, especially the Roku app, 100% worth the money.

Re:

zlev11 said:
i found last year that the Sporza stream worked with no VPN (US IP address). I only used it for E3 which wasn't streamed on Flobikes or Fubo, so that might've been why. Flobikes is excellent, especially the Roku app, 100% worth the money.

TY. We got a Roku last fall when we were sitting at a hotel in Charlotte for a week after evacuating for Hurricane Florence. Good to know it works well with that.

I think this is a golden age for watching cycling on television (well, by "television" I mean my computer, my phone, my tablet, or, yes, in most cases, my hilariously gigantic television). Between my subscriptions to FloBikes, NBC Sports Gold, and USA Crits, along with watching L'Equipe on the ad-supported firstonetv internet service, I'll have the the options of watch live road races on over 200 days in 2019. On many, many days, there's more than one race to watch. Heck, on one day, Saturday, 18 May, I'll be able to choose among FIVE live races (and actually could theoretically watch them all as most of them are also available on-demand): stage 8 of the Giro, Stage 7 of the Tour of California, stage 5 of the increasingly inaccurately named 4 Jours de Dunkerque, stage 2 of the Vuelta Aragon, and the Rochester Twilight Criterium.

For what it's worth, I don't believe the word "cheap" is the right term for those who search out pirated feeds when there are legal feeds available for purchase in their areas. The words "thief" or "cheat" are more appropriate for those individuals, who are doing active harm to the sport they claim to love.

Re:

christopherrowe said:
I think this is a golden age for watching cycling on television (well, by "television" I mean my computer, my phone, my tablet, or, yes, in most cases, my hilariously gigantic television). Between my subscriptions to FloBikes, NBC Sports Gold, and USA Crits, along with watching L'Equipe on the ad-supported firstonetv internet service, I'll have the the options of watch live road races on over 200 days in 2019. On many, many days, there's more than one race to watch. Heck, on one day, Saturday, 18 May, I'll be able to choose among FIVE live races (and actually could theoretically watch them all as most of them are also available on-demand): stage 8 of the Giro, Stage 7 of the Tour of California, stage 5 of the increasingly inaccurately named 4 Jours de Dunkerque, stage 2 of the Vuelta Aragon, and the Rochester Twilight Criterium.

For what it's worth, I don't believe the word "cheap" is the right term for those who search out pirated feeds when there are legal feeds available for purchase in their areas. The words "thief" or "cheat" are more appropriate for those individuals, who are doing active harm to the sport they claim to love.

It's highway robbery that NBC charges for their streaming service when you are already paying for NBC through your cable/satellite provider. Also the teams don't see a dime of the TV revenue and some of the races actually PAY to get their races on TV.

Re: Re:

Koronin said:
It's highway robbery that NBC charges for their streaming service when you are already paying for NBC through your cable/satellite provider. Also the teams don't see a dime of the TV revenue and some of the races actually PAY to get their races on TV.

You don't have to have a cable or satellite provider to subscribe to NBC Sports Gold. I don't. Teams are far from the only stakeholders in the sport.

christopherrowe said:
Koronin said:

You don't have to have a cable or satellite provider to subscribe to NBC Sports Gold. I don't. Teams are far from the only stakeholders in the sport.

But for those who do have cable/satellite subscriptions should NOT be paying for Gold because we are ALREADY paying for NBC. Not that hard to understand and the reason many people will NOT purchase it because we are already paying for it. Having a cable/Satellite subscription and then paying for Gold on top of that is paying for the same thing TWICE.

[quote="Koronin

But for those who do have cable/satellite subscriptions should NOT be paying for Gold because we are ALREADY paying for NBC. Not that hard to understand and the reason many people will NOT purchase it because we are already paying for it. Having a cable/Satellite subscription and then paying for Gold on top of that is paying for the same thing TWICE.[/quote]

You're obviously NOT paying for the same content twice or you'd be watching races on the feed you're watching via your cable or satellite subscription. The Cycling Pass--like all their other sports packages or passes--represents premium content over, above, beyond, and SEPARATE from, DIFFERENT from, the standard NBC Sports channel.

Your claim is exactly analogous to saying that because an individual subscribes to the The Washington Post then it's "highway robbery" that they have to pay for their groceries at Whole Foods because both entities have the same owner. Two completely different product lines offered by different means.

Re:

zlev11 said:
nbc gold is one payment of $30 for the entire year, though. it's not even $3/month, that's basically just paying for the bandwidth they use to upload the races.

It's still paying twice for something. It's the principle of the matter on this one for many. Same goes for any IRL fans refusing to pay for that on Gold. Those races will on be on TV, but all previous years who is on Gold now was free on the internet.

christopherrowe said:
zlev11 said:
nbc gold is one payment of $30 for the entire year, though. it's not even $3/month, that's basically just paying for the bandwidth they use to upload the races.

Why that's over eight American cents a day! Highway robbery, I tell you! :D

Why are you fine with paying TWICE for the same thing? The problem is charging for this when you are already being charged for NBC programming with cable/satellite. Yes it's highway robbery by charging you TWICE.

Koronin said:
christopherrowe said:
zlev11 said:

Why are you fine with paying TWICE for the same thing? The problem is charging for this when you are already being charged for NBC programming with cable/satellite. Yes it's highway robbery by charging you TWICE.

I'm fine with it because it's not happening.

And even if it WAS happening, my response wouldn't be to steal and cheat. And then, as some have here, brag about being a thief and a cheat in a public forum.

christopherrowe said:
Koronin said:
christopherrowe said:
zlev11 said:

And even if it WAS happening, my response wouldn't be to steal and cheat. And then, as some have here, brag about being a thief and a cheat in a public forum.

You don't care that NBC is charging people TWICE for their content? Anyone with a Cable or Satellite subscription should NOT be paying EXTRA for Gold. Yes that IS happening. You CANNOT log into Gold with your cable or satellite subscription you have to PAY for it even though you are already PAYING for NBC. That IS the definition of being charged TWICE for something. So yes it's better to go find links to watch Eurosport or another feed.

first, it's not at all the same content. for example, NBCSN broadcasts 1 hour shows of Paris-Nice tape delayed each day. NBC Gold is live, commercial free, and on-demand. it even has different commentators.

second, if you want to watch a low quality free "illegal" stream then that's fine too. relax, nobody is stealing anything by watching a choppy low-res unreliable stream on their computer.

Koronin said:
christopherrowe said:
Koronin said:
christopherrowe said:
zlev11 said:

You don't care that NBC is charging people TWICE for their content? Anyone with a Cable or Satellite subscription should NOT be paying EXTRA for Gold. Yes that IS happening. You CANNOT log into Gold with your cable or satellite subscription you have to PAY for it even though you are already PAYING for NBC. That IS the definition of being charged TWICE for something. So yes it's better to go find links to watch Eurosport or another feed.

You realize you don't have to subscribe to NBC Sports Gold, right? What exactly do you think you're being charged twice for? I'm not able to wrap my head around this paying twice thing. Are you saying that since you watch a race on television, you should also have free access to it live and on-demand on the premium web service?

As far as I know, the NBC Sports network that IS available on satellite and cable doesn't even SHOW that many cycling races. Today, for example, while NBC Sports Gold was showing the World Track Championships, it looks to me like the cable/satellite channel NBC Sports was showing "American Ninja Warrior" all afternoon.

As I said above, the cable/satellite service and the internet service are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS.

christopherrowe said:
Koronin said:
Koronin said:
christopherrowe said:
zlev11 said:

You realize you don't have to subscribe to NBC Sports Gold, right? What exactly do you think you're being charged twice for? I'm not able to wrap my head around this paying twice thing. Are you saying that since you watch a race on television, you should also have free access to it live and on-demand on the premium web service?

As far as I know, the NBC Sports network that IS available on satellite and cable doesn't even SHOW that many cycling races. Today, for example, while NBC Sports Gold was showing the World Track Championships, it looks to me like the cable/satellite channel NBC Sports was showing "American Ninja Warrior" all afternoon.

As I said above, the cable/satellite service and the internet service are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS.[/quote]

BEin sports shows a lot of things on their streaming service that isn't on their cable/sat channels and do NOT charge you for their streaming services if you already have a cable/sat subscription.

Also most if not all the UCI races that NBC has the rights to ARE shown in NBC's Olympic HD channel. They are part of the SAME company and thus they ARE the same thing. They just want MORE money. Same as CBS trying to get people to pay for their steaming service.

Also for NBC Gold paying for ONE of the services only gets you THAT specific service. The cycling service will NOT get you the Indy Car races.

Re:

zlev11 said:
first, it's not at all the same content. for example, NBCSN broadcasts 1 hour shows of Paris-Nice tape delayed each day. NBC Gold is live, commercial free, and on-demand. it even has different commentators.

second, if you want to watch a low quality free "illegal" stream then that's fine too. relax, nobody is stealing anything by watching a choppy low-res unreliable stream on their computer.

It should NOT cost a single dime more money to anyone who is ALREADY paying for NBC channels with a cable or satellite subscription.

Wow, just wow.

"Officer! I demand that this fruit seller be arrested! I bought an apple off him for a quarter and now he wants to charge me ANOTHER quarter for this orange!"

There are days I wish that no content on the internet had EVER been free. The entitlement it's bred in some people...

TRENDING THREADS