• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cycling on USA TVs, desktops, laptops, and handheld devices

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Broccolidwarf said:
I'm thinking americans should be able to access the Eurosport player, with a decent premium VPN service (most of the free stuff doesn't work, and is often unsafe)?

They broadcast every world tour race (and even some the level below), and have very competent commentators in most european languages..... I think it's 6-7 dollars a month, for two channels broadcasting all major (in the european market) sports 24/7.

I know I can access a lot of US channels (incl. premium ones) through my VPN service, so I am thinking it works both ways.

- You DO need broadband though, or similar speed.

Disclaimer (we ARE talking America, after all :D): I obviously haven't tried it, not being a US resident..

I've heard people try to pay Eurosport for access and they can't accept payment from US addresses. Something about stupid US laws.

Unfortunately sometimes our broadband can be slower than a 54k modem. Yes had that happened when we first moved to the city we currently live in. Hence the reason my internet is through Time Warner (cable company) instead of the phone company. My TV is through a Dish because I much prefer my Dish for TV.

Yes VPN is the best way to get cycling in general over here.

Re:

Broccolidwarf said:
I'm thinking americans should be able to access the Eurosport player, with a decent premium VPN service (most of the free stuff doesn't work, and is often unsafe)?

They broadcast every world tour race (and even some the level below), and have very competent commentators in most european languages..... I think it's 6-7 dollars a month, for two channels broadcasting all major (in the european market) sports 24/7.

I know I can access a lot of US channels (incl. premium ones) through my VPN service, so I am thinking it works both ways.

Disclaimer (we ARE talking America, after all :D): I obviously haven't tried it, not being a US resident..

Yes in the USA one can buy a VPN service, set yourself to England and buy Eurosport player. It is also against the law as the USA providers pay to have exclusive rights. You also get Kirby for your efforts, Bleck :(

Re: Re:

Koronin said:
Broccolidwarf said:

I've heard people try to pay Eurosport for access and they can't accept payment from US addresses. Something about stupid US laws.

As long as you use a charge card that accepts foreign money charges and autopay they never need your address. I have a friend that has this all set up.

But it is still illegal to do the setup due to the broadcast rights of the USA providers.

So, I'm seeing that NBCSN will be giving us 2 hours of Paris-Robaix at 1:00 pm on 04/14/2019. pppfllllittt.

At least we will get same day coverage this year. Last year it wasn't until Monday evening that we got to watch it. But, we only get 2 hours, and with the intro and exit, that means less than 1 1/2 hours of the race.

This is why I really hate NBC getting the races (and, I don't really care that they will be on extra-cost internet before/same time).

[EDIT: 1:00 pm is what I show, and it is unclear to me if it means local, or EASTERN, or some other time zone. If you are watching it on NBCSN, check your local listings.]

Re:

Nacho said:
So, I'm seeing that NBCSN will be giving us 2 hours of Paris-Robaix at 1:00 pm on 04/14/2019. pppfllllittt.

At least we will get same day coverage this year. Last year it wasn't until Monday evening that we got to watch it. But, we only get 2 hours, and with the intro and exit, that means less than 1 1/2 hours of the race.

This is why I really hate NBC getting the races (and, I don't really care that they will be on extra-cost internet before/same time).

[EDIT: 1:00 pm is what I show, and it is unclear to me if it means local, or EASTERN, or some other time zone. If you are watching it on NBCSN, check your local listings.]

It's 2pm eastern. I live in eastern time zone (NC coast) and just went through my guide on Dish and it's at 2pm here.

Koronin said:
Nacho said:

It's 2pm eastern. I live in eastern time zone (NC coast) and just went through my guide on Dish and it's at 2pm here.
Thanks. Good to know.

What I hate most is that there is no page on NBC Sports, that I have found, that shows a month or so in advance what they will show. A person is relegated to watching TV guide listings to see what will be broadcast. It didn't used to be that way. They used to have a page that would tell you 6-7-8 months in advance what would be broadcast.

I know -- I'm so negative.

Nacho said:
Koronin said:
Nacho said:

Thanks. Good to know.

What I hate most is that there is no page on NBC Sports, that I have found, that shows a month or so in advance what they will show. A person is relegated to watching TV guide listings to see what will be broadcast. It didn't used to be that way. They used to have a page that would tell you 6-7-8 months in advance what would be broadcast.

You're welcome.

I haven't found one either. It's annoying to say the least. You're right, they used to have a page that would let you know what was being shown and now there's nothing. You can't even find what is being shown of the mainstream sports.

Koronin said:
Nacho said:
Koronin said:
Nacho said:

Thanks. Good to know.

You're welcome.

I haven't found one either. It's annoying to say the least. You're right, they used to have a page that would let you know what was being shown and now there's nothing. You can't even find what is being shown of the mainstream sports.
You're right. The only way I knew when Paris-Robaix would be broadcast (other than by memory) is to call up my TV guide internet listing, punch on NBCSN, and go out all the way that TV guide listing would show, searching for "CYC".

Not only it is not on NBCSN web site, it is also not on steephill.tv yet, which I rely on quite a bit.

I guess that the persons that schedule these bicycle events (for TV coverage) don't really know the importance of showing well in advance that they will be showing them.

Nacho said:
Koronin said:
Nacho said:
Koronin said:
Nacho said:

Thanks. Good to know.

You're welcome.

You're right. The only way I knew when Paris-Robaix would be broadcast (other than by memory) is to call up my TV guide internet listing, punch on NBCSN, and go out all the way that TV guide listing would show, searching for "CYC".

Not only it is not on NBCSN web site, it is also not on steephill.tv yet, which I rely on quite a bit.

I guess that the persons that schedule these bicycle events (for TV coverage) don't really know the importance of showing well in advance that they will be showing them.

Agreed. They have no idea we need to know in advance and want to know in advance. Fleche Wallone and LBL should be on NBCsports as well, but likely both on Sunday sometime well after LBL has ended.

The good thing about DISH is you just create a 'seek' timer called cycling and it finds and schedules everything for you as long as the station uses Cycling in the name. It's worked like a charm for me for years now :). I may Not Like the times NBCSN shows the races but I don't have to hunt for them.

Re:

Carols said:
The good thing about DISH is you just create a 'seek' timer called cycling and it finds and schedules everything for you as long as the station uses Cycling in the name. It's worked like a charm for me for years now :). I may Not Like the times NBCSN shows the races but I don't have to hunt for them.

My problem was I got a new DVR right after the Worlds. (The old one was ancient and I was allowed to keep it because it's obsolete. Now it's basically a DVD player for the handful of races that are on it). I had to wait for Paris-Roubaix so I could set the new timer for cycling.

I know some of you much prefer to watch races on your TV rather than streaming--understandable. But if you are missing big chunks of races, like today's lovely RvV, why not do the following as well:

Buy a used, inexpensive computer
Never use that computer for email, work documents, or anything else that might be corrupted
Connect to a VPN server
Watch a foreign broadcast of the race (you could tune into RvV today at 1:15am pac- though I waited till 5:45)

Some sites still require you to register with name & email (like the Belgian RTBF.be site I watched on today). I only speak some French, but honestly I'd rather watch in Polish or whatever rather than listen to any of the english language announcers. And almost all I watch are better at quickly ID'ing which riders are in a break, got dropped, etc.

BTW, I am using a ten-plus year old tower computer and still can view all the races.

Just a thought . . .

If you are planning on watching delayed or recording Paris-Robaix on NBCSN, you might want to recheck your listings. It now shows up on NBCSN's TV listing at midnight 12:00am, Sunday night / Monday morning, USA Central Timezone, rather than around/after noon Sunday.

Re:

Nacho said:
If you are planning on watching delayed or recording Paris-Robaix on NBCSN, you might want to recheck your listings. It now shows up on NBCSN's TV listing at midnight 12:00am, Sunday night / Monday morning, USA Central Timezone, rather than around/after noon Sunday.

Yep saw that as well. Thankfully the DVR just moved with it. Would have liked it to have stayed right before the Indy Car race.

Koronin said:
Nacho said:

Yep saw that as well. Thankfully the DVR just moved with it. Would have liked it to have stayed right before the Indy Car race.
I may not watch it on NBCSN now. I might come here and see who wins, or go to steephill.tv and see who wins and watch a small clip, and then wait a couple of days and see if it comes up on youtube. I see the races for the last few years are there, though I didn't watch any of them.

Nacho said:
Koronin said:
Nacho said:

I may not watch it on NBCSN now. I might come here and see who wins, or go to steephill.tv and see who wins and watch a small clip, and then wait a couple of days and see if it comes up on youtube. I see the races for the last few years are there, though I didn't watch any of them.

I'll watch it on DVR simply because it's Paris-Roubaix which is my favorite race of the season. Plus I'm still having some computer issues. Computer got a virus and I'm not sure it's fully fixed yet. I think the virus is gone, but there's still some minor issues going on with it. One reason I prefer having stuff on TV instead of on line. TV's don't get viruses like computers do. GRRRRR!

TRENDING THREADS