• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cycling on USA TVs, desktops, laptops, and handheld devices

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Bob is not too bad for me ... if he would only stop that infuriating (to me) upward tone he does when he ends a sentence or thought. CVV is the worst -- fer sure. He really has a bad problem of letting Horner say anything -- I'm thinking CVV is worrying about Horner taking his job over. Horner was pretty good, better than I originally thought. About the only thing that CVV does that I like, or appreciate, is the hill/mountain riding segments he does. Those are good.

Overall I was quite pleased. I missed Paul Sherwan, gone but never forgotten. Bob toned it way down from when he was in the studio, Phil was quite good, CVV was okay and I really liked Horner's enthusiasm. I liked the 'watch the race' while the commercials played segments. TOO Many Commercials! But all in all it sure beat Kirby and Eurosport!!!

Re:

Carols said:
Overall I was quite pleased. I missed Paul Sherwan, gone but never forgotten. Bob toned it way down from when he was in the studio, Phil was quite good, CVV was okay and I really liked Horner's enthusiasm. I liked the 'watch the race' while the commercials played segments. TOO Many Commercials! But all in all it sure beat Kirby and Eurosport!!!
Yeah, I missed Paul too. I was watching one segment that had Armstrong on, and he accidentally said hi to "Phil & Paul", and then corrected himself. I'm sure he felt bad.

I also liked those "watch the race while the commercial played on split-screen". Towards the end of the race they are great.

[edit: I also liked the commercials that had Phil on a bicycle, cycling past Alaphilippe!]

Bobke has grown on me a lot over the past few years, I thought he did a great job this year. He sounds like a guy who actually watches all of the races and follows the sport closely, which is a big help because it's pretty clear Phil is just collecting a paycheck at this point.

Horner was the real surprise. Having watched Rolle doing play by play at La Vuelta the last few years, I figured he'd do better than expected. Horner has very keen understanding of tactics inside the peloton, and despite the clinical speculation about the Vuelta win, he has a very likable personality.

Sorry but still don't like Roll or Phil. With Roll it's a combination of his high pitch at the end of sentences and mispronunciations of Spanish names when he thinks he's so good at Spanish pronunciations. I've listened to enough Spanish commentary.
I like CVV and thought Horner did well.

Re:

houtdffan said:
I paid the $55 to watch without commercials. I also cannot stand Phil and Bob, so part of what I was paying for was Keenan and McEwan. Those two are a FAR better commentary team

To get their commentary, the money is worth it? I just hate paying for something I'm already paying for with my satellite.

Re: Re:

Koronin said:
houtdffan said:
I paid the $55 to watch without commercials. I also cannot stand Phil and Bob, so part of what I was paying for was Keenan and McEwan. Those two are a FAR better commentary team

To get their commentary, the money is worth it? I just hate paying for something I'm already paying for with my satellite.

Well they are very good, better than NBCSN and Much Better than Eurosport. But as a retiree I can't afford both and NBCSN has other sports I watch; horse racing and figure skating. So I'm sticking with just the TV Tour. But then I liked the team they had this Tour, I just missed Paul.

Carols said:
Koronin said:
houtdffan said:

Well they are very good, better than NBCSN and Much Better than Eurosport. But as a retiree I can't afford both and NBCSN has other sports I watch; horse racing and figure skating. So I'm sticking with just the TV Tour. But then I liked the team they had this Tour, I just missed Paul.

It appears I'm going to have to hunt for stage 21 if I actually want to watch it as they switched to NBC for the end of the stage and thus I don't have it on my DVR. Had the DVR set because we were out of town for the weekend.

Koronin said:
Carols said:
Koronin said:
houtdffan said:

It appears I'm going to have to hunt for stage 21 if I actually want to watch it as they switched to NBC for the end of the stage and thus I don't have it on my DVR. Had the DVR set because we were out of town for the weekend.

I watched it. It was pretty much unremarkable once they got to the Chomps of Dom Deluise, and that is around the time they switched over to NBC. 8 circuits of not much except in the last circuit Michael Mathews had a mechanical, but he did get back into the peloton (I didn't hear until afterwards), and only the last mile or so peaked my interest. You can see the last kilometer or so on Steephill TV:

http://www.steephill.tv/tour-de-france/

Koronin said:
Carols said:
Koronin said:
houtdffan said:

I thought you had a new hopper. All you have to do was set up record Tour de France and it finds it no matter what channel or time. Plus they reran the entire stage on NBCSN overnight. It would have found that also. You can watch the end on Tiz most likely.

Carols said:
Koronin said:
Carols said:
Koronin said:
houtdffan said:

I thought you had a new hopper. All you have to do was set up record Tour de France and it finds it no matter what channel or time. Plus they reran the entire stage on NBCSN overnight. It would have found that also. You can watch the end on Tiz most likely.

I don't have a hopper. I just have a newer DVR that I can move stuff from the DVR to a hard drive. True, for some reason I forget about Tiz. You're right they should have it.

So little cycling is on USA broadcast/cable TV that I thought I'd pass this on: Tour of Utah is Aug 12 - Aug 18, on FS2 (Fox Sports 2) for 2 hours starting at 6:00 pm CST. At least that is 12-15 as my TV guide doesn't go out any further, and I can't find the USA/Local broadcasting schedule on their website, even though it does show international broadcasting: https://www.tourofutah.com/

But, if I'm reading the website correctly, you can watch the stages right on their website and your computer.

It's fun to watch I guess.

Re:

Nacho said:
So little cycling is on USA broadcast/cable TV that I thought I'd pass this on: Tour of Utah is Aug 12 - Aug 18, on FS2 (Fox Sports 2) for 2 hours starting at 6:00 pm CST. At least that is 12-15 as my TV guide doesn't go out any further, and I can't find the USA/Local broadcasting schedule on their website, even though it does show international broadcasting: https://www.tourofutah.com/

But, if I'm reading the website correctly, you can watch the stages right on their website and your computer.

It's fun to watch I guess.

Thanks for the dates.

As I have the sports package on Dish, the regional sports station for the mountain west should be carrying the coverage as well as FS2. Possibly a few of the other local/regional sports stations will as well.

I've read about apps, to run on your phone and stream to your tv, or install on an Android TV box directly (or simply watch on your phone/tablet), that will let you watch Eurosport etc. I assume these apps are not exactly legal, since most users seem to use them in combination with VPN services. But if there is no valid alternative, maybe you could still look it up.

Has anybody been watching the Tour of Utah on FS2?

I wanted to know -- about an ad that comes on each day. Once, maybe twice. I can't quite figure out if it's me, my TV, or whatever. It looks like a janitor comes into a business lobby, somewhat like an airline counter. The ad though FREEZES before anything else happens. No movement, nor sound. Then the program picks back up when the race returns or another ad is shown. Anybody else seeing this? Or am I crazy?

La Vuelta is on TV on the Olympic Channel. My problem is that it's still paying even more to NBC even though we are already paying for it.
It looks to me like it will also be on NBCSN, but at 11:00pm or 12:00am. No way I'm going to stay up that late (I couldn't!), and I don't have a VCR/DVD recorder setup. Also, that is not one of the "On Demand" programs that NBCSN allows us to watch on Sling TV. So, I'm not going to watch it I guess. I don't like those web sites that aren't 100% legal, or that you get Gawd only knows what kind of viruses. I'll probably watch the "Last 15 kilometer" videos that steephill.tv let you see after the race ends.

It looks to me like it will also be on NBCSN, but at 11:00pm or 12:00am. No way I'm going to stay up that late (I couldn't!), and I don't have a VCR/DVD recorder setup. Also, that is not one of the "On Demand" programs that NBCSN allows us to watch on Sling TV. So, I'm not going to watch it I guess. I don't like those web sites that aren't 100% legal, or that you get Gawd only knows what kind of viruses. I'll probably watch the "Last 15 kilometer" videos that steephill.tv let you see after the race ends.

Stage 1 on The Olympic Channel is on in the late afternoon. I have my Dish set up to record it on the Olympic Channel.

TRENDING THREADS