• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cycling on USA TVs, desktops, laptops, and handheld devices

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I have a problem with Peacock and is that they don't show past races. This makes me mad since I watch a lot of the past races (>1 yaer). I have been a subscriber for years and I enjoy watching past races. Now they told me that only recent races and that's it.... The think with Peacock is that you get a lot for what you pay. But at the same time I am only interested in Cycling, They should release the rights to channels with sports focus or cycling only focus.

Totally agree! I have recorded races back to the 1980s! Streaming stinks, you can't keep it. Youtube only helps so much.

Problem with YouTube is that the ASO are like Nazis with their content. I understand it, but it makes me long for the days of VCRs. I had DVRd Contador’s final Vuelta in all its glory and then one day I went to watch it and it was gone, and I adored it because it was Paul Sherwin calling it and he did a wonderful job. I was surprised given that he was such a Lance homer that he didn’t throw any shade at Bertie.

cant find any of the coverage one youtube.

Problem with YouTube is that the ASO are like Nazis with their content. I understand it, but it makes me long for the days of VCRs. I had DVRd Contador’s final Vuelta in all its glory and then one day I went to watch it and it was gone, and I adored it because it was Paul Sherwin calling it and he did a wonderful job. I was surprised given that he was such a Lance homer that he didn’t throw any shade at Bertie.

cant find any of the coverage one youtube.

I know I have saved DVR coverage that also just disappeared :( Accidently deleted I'm sure, even from folder KEEP. I'm so old school I archive it off onto DVDs as I still have a functional DVDR. DISH used to let me DVDR from Youtube but now Youtube won't allow it 'content cannot be recorded' error.

Reactions: perico
The weird part for me is that the NBCSN channel was in a good spot on the channel lineup number/channel 81 the USA channel is in a better spot 47 but the Channel 81 is empty now and was close to some other medium viewed channels like HGTV was only one page on the guide away and other medium viewed channels. But not selling or changing programming to compete with similar content with similar programming is kinda weird. To just abandon that channel/Number that is astonishing. Getting a place (channel/number) on a cable system in a favorable position is crazy hard. If you had programming you wanted on Cable it would be hard to get that good of a position on any cable outlet. o_O

The weird part for me is that the NBCSN channel was in a good spot on the channel lineup number/channel 81 the USA channel is in a better spot 47 but the Channel 81 is empty now and was close to some other medium viewed channels like HGTV was only one page on the guide away and other medium viewed channels. But not selling or changing programming to compete with similar content with similar programming is kinda weird. To just abandon that channel/Number that is astonishing. Getting a place (channel/number) on a cable system in a favorable position is crazy hard. If you had programming you wanted on Cable it would be hard to get that good of a position on any cable outlet. o_O
What has replaced NBCSN? I haven’t looked since cycling.

I’m actually surprised the TdF didn’t end up on the Olympic Channel with la Vuelta, but maybe it has too big a footprint for it.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
E! now has sports on it? LMAO. That's actually funny. I haven't seen that yet, but at least I'll remember to check it as well. I know for certain sport CNBC becomes a landing spot as well.

Good to know! So, we only have to check 4 channels to maybe find a cycling race showing at 2AM LMAO! Maybe, just Maybe they'll have pity on us and make up a schedule before P-N which would be their 1st race since the TDU isn't running on schedule.

I'll put it here as well. Windscribe VPN has an unlimited data plan for one specific country for 2$ per month (with 1 additional $ per additional country... untill it becomes cheaper to get a full worldwide plan of course). So in case you can get a subscription to a service in any other country in the world, you can order a VPN for that country specifically and only pay 2$/m.

Assume I have a VPN, what English speaking country is broadcasting for free?
I would assume none, as the channels that broadcast cycling will be part of a "cable subscription" in most countries, of the cable provider. You at the very least need that to be able to watch Eurosport, or you can get their (paid) Player app. Some cable providers offer webbased broadcasting through propriatary apps for their (paying cable tv) customers for "free". I for instance can watch Eurosport on my phone anywhere in Europe through my cable provider 's app when i log into my cable TV account. But i still need to pay for my cable subscription.

With a VPN you could follow a few races for free online, in different languages. Sporza is streaming some races for free on their website. Rai streams some races. Etc. L'équipe does as well.

But free + English is probably not going to happen unless you visit illegal streaming sites like TIZ. You're either going to need a paid local cable subscription account (or a good friend or relative who is willing to hand you their account info and log in), or pay for GCN/Eurosport app.

Reactions: Carols
I'm not paying NBC for their streaming service.

On the other hand, I'm not at all surprised that they pulled P-N and I suspect basically everything except the Tour and Vuelta (which has been on the Olympic Channel not NBCsports) will be on their pay service. I'll pay for GCN's service, I won't pay for NBC's.

I'm not paying NBC for their streaming service.

On the other hand, I'm not at all surprised that they pulled P-N and I suspect basically everything except the Tour and Vuelta (which has been on the Olympic Channel not NBCsports) will be on their pay service. I'll pay for GCN's service, I won't pay for NBC's.

Your choice :).
Since NBCSports carried all the cycling except the Vuelta I paid for the 200 tier to get it. With the station gone 3 of the replacement stations have picked up ice skating and horseracing. They're in the 120 tier so my cable bill went down $12 per month. Paying $5.29 (with tax) for a month here and there is fine with me. For the Vuelta I'll have to pay $13 for the one month I'll get the Olympic channel, if that is where they show it, in the Multi-sport package to have it on TV and be able to save it on my dvr. Over the course of a year I save money :).

Your choice :).
Since NBCSports carried all the cycling except the Vuelta I paid for the 200 tier to get it. With the station gone 3 of the replacement stations have picked up ice skating and horseracing. They're in the 120 tier so my cable bill went down $12 per month. Paying $5.29 (with tax) for a month here and there is fine with me. For the Vuelta I'll have to pay $13 for the one month I'll get the Olympic channel, if that is where they show it, in the Multi-sport package to have it on TV and be able to save it on my dvr. Over the course of a year I save money :).

NBCSports wasn't top tier on my dish (or I don't think it is). It's not the reason I have the top tier. There are about 5 stations we watch a lot that are top tier.
Vuelta will require 2 months, not one as it's partly in both Aug and Sept.

Just on principle I will NOT pay NBC for their streaming service.

The more I've had to deal with streaming the more i truly do NOT like it at all.

TRENDING THREADS