• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cycling Sponsorship

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Myself and a friend of mine are embarking on a sponsored cycle ride from London to Morocco, a total of over 2000km. We are doing so in aid of raising money for bicycle ambulances in Malawi, where the project will be taken on by my Mum's non-profit charity (http://www.landirani.org). These bicycle ambulances will play a vital role in getting those in really serious medical conditions and women in active labour to the clinics in time.

We are both graduates and are currently working voluntarily which is making it very hard for us to raise enough money for equipment and the trip itself, as all money raised throughout the tour will go directly to the charity.

We need as much help as we can possibly get in the form of donations and sponsorships, and in return we will be more than happy to promote various companies throughout the tour, on the website and tour blog, as well as the film that we will be making during the ride.

If you have any suggestions or advice please let me know

Sam

Two friends of mine did a ride across America last Fall (had to bail in the Rockies in a snow storm) to raise money for an educ ational program in Seattle. He had a web site created that had a daily blog feature where he could update perople on their progress, load videos and pics and even do live web castingfrom time to time. I linked his site whereever i could (even here) and we also promoted RSS feeds, twitter and other social media things and ultimately there were about 3,000 people following them and they raised abouot 10k.

Landirani said:
Myself and a friend of mine are embarking on a sponsored cycle ride from London to Morocco, a total of over 2000km. We are doing so in aid of raising money for bicycle ambulances in Malawi, where the project will be taken on by my Mum's non-profit charity (http://www.landirani.org). These bicycle ambulances will play a vital role in getting those in really serious medical conditions and women in active labour to the clinics in time.

We are both graduates and are currently working voluntarily which is making it very hard for us to raise enough money for equipment and the trip itself, as all money raised throughout the tour will go directly to the charity.

We need as much help as we can possibly get in the form of donations and sponsorships, and in return we will be more than happy to promote various companies throughout the tour, on the website and tour blog, as well as the film that we will be making during the ride.

If you have any suggestions or advice please let me know

Sam

They also sold advert space on the site and as the hit count went up so did the advertising rates.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Don't underestimate the power of a cold call to a corporation with and interest or product of relevance. If you have a budget with projections and accumulated funds and can sell the cause beyond personal enjoyment it helps.

I am interested in your methods for filming and the central topic of the film.

I would agree with Boeing. Try calling smaller companies first, and asking for smaller donations, be open minded, ask for anything they can help with. With tiny companies you are likely to pretty quickly get to someone in decision making power, as opposed to cold calling a company like Giant, Shimano, or Trek, (or non cycling equivalent) etc. where you may have to navigate a labyrinth, only to get a "sorry" or offer no bigger than someone small. Your confidence will also build from calling the little guys first.

I would also go to your LBS and asking for the owner. Tell him you're situation and ask how they can help.

The fact you have the project in motion, a clean website, and a non-profit already set up, should help quite a bit.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Anybody that wants to sponsor you can also drop ship product(hats,water bottles,t-shirts,energy bars,ect ) ahead of you on your journey to a radio station or bike shop,hotel. You can call a TV station or radio station alert them to your cause and get a little press for your cause while spending an hour or 90 minutes handing out swag and being friendly. I was given @80 children's helmets, tons o shirts and hats for a similar cause. A close friend of mine also got old wheel chairs and crutches and canes that were going to be tossed by US med centers and had them sent to Columbia. Good luck with your trek.

TRENDING THREADS