• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

cyclingfans.com gives me viruses

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Yo...

Maybe this is a repost .

But I have gotten viruses multiple times from watching races thru cyclingfans.com

Each time on my work laptop. IT is getting tired of me dropping it off to get repaired!

Avoid site at all costs!

Anyone have any other good site suggestions?

Johnalex13 said:
Yo...

Maybe this is a repost .

But I have gotten viruses multiple times from watching races thru cyclingfans.com

Each time on my work laptop. IT is getting tired of me dropping it off to get repaired!

Avoid site at all costs!

I've never had any problem with Cyclingfans.com and I find the info there timely and reliable. Thousands of users use it every day. Many also use steephill.tv.

I work in technology and I hear this sort of blasé "virus" calling too often. The definition of "virus" is something entirely different to your case, so I can only assume you're trying to troll against a particular website.

Why did you keep going back there "multiple times"? If your machine didn't like it once or twice, then ...? ;)

A

Anonymous

cycling fans posts links, they do not host the video themselves.

get over it.

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
It is Malware. My web browsers become completely useless and it sets up proxys on all bowsers.

I am not the only one having this issue.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15934744

I understand cyclingfans just displays the races but I have not been able to pinpoint which sites linked to cyclingfans that do it.

I went to it multiple times because the first time I wasn't sure what gave me the 'virus'...second time I was sure.

Just a warning bros...not trying to 'attack' the site.

A

Anonymous

Johnalex13 said:
It is Malware. My web browsers become completely useless and it sets up proxys on all bowsers.

I am not the only one having this issue.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15934744

I understand cyclingfans just displays the races but I have not been able to pinpoint which sites linked to cyclingfans that do it.

I went to it multiple times because the first time I wasn't sure what gave me the 'virus'...second time I was sure.

Just a warning bros...not trying to 'attack' the site.

that other thread tealls you exactly which site does it... duh

however, win32 is fairly hard to catch just by visiting a site, you do have to click something to accept it to be installed, ive not yet seen a variant that can just install itself without permission. And any decent antivirus software should pick up win32 so i can only assume you dont have anti virus or the one you are using is crap.

im going to take a stab in the dark and guess you are using internet explorer and something crap like avg free edition.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Johnalex13 said:
Yo...

Maybe this is a repost .

Avoid site at all costs!

It is not Cyclingfans but one of the feed links. I think it is the Fromsport feed, I have not had problems with the other feeds. the Justin.tv ones are clean.

It is pretty easy to fix, just do a system restore to just before you watched. Also if you have a Mac you will not get the virus.

A

Anonymous

L'arriviste said:
+10,000. Many happy hours so far this year spent watching blurry feeds with Danish commentary will testify to that! :p

Or use opera to browse.. been many years since ive had a virus that i got from the internet.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
It is not Cyclingfans but one of the feed links. I think it is the Fromsport feed, I have not had problems with the other feeds. the Justin.tv ones are clean.

It is pretty easy to fix, just do a system restore to just before you watched. Also if you have a Mac you will not get the virus.

I tend to get odd popups and adds from Fromsport but nothing serious i just delete and close boxes etc.

its Spyware crap that can be eliminated very easily i think. (famous last words) i suppose it depends on your browser, i have firefox but nothing really bad happens as of yet.

Thoughtforfood said:
Thanks for the tip. Looks like a great add-on.

You'll probably find it a bit irritating at first, TFF, because it basically bans everything by default and of course these days most sites have at least some scripting for legitimate reasons. Stick with it, though, and keep adding your most commonly used sites as exceptions. In no time at all, you'll be really glad you've got it. :)

A

Anonymous

L'arriviste said:
You'll probably find it a bit irritating at first, TFF, because it basically bans everything by default and of course these days most sites have at least some scripting for legitimate reasons. Stick with it, though, and keep adding your most commonly used sites as exceptions. In no time at all, you'll be really glad you've got it. :)

another option is spybot search and destroy and set the immunize funtion on.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
another option is spybot search and destroy and set the immunize funtion on.

The virus I got was a particularity nasty one. It disabled both my Spybot and anti-virus software. A system restore was the best option.

Today I got a virus at work. I was doing two things:

1- Reading/Downloading PDF information from an Governmental Engineering Association and
2- Watching something through steephill.

I would find it odd that the first option was the problem. Since somebody brought it up today I am now doubting steephill links.:confused::(

I am working from home until they clean my computer.

As a final note, this is the first time that I got a virus. Really strange.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
L'arriviste said:
... it basically bans everything by default... Stick with it, though, and keep adding your most commonly used sites as exceptions. In no time at all, you'll be really glad you've got it. :)

I wanted to ask you a few things befoore I tried this. On a site like Yahoo or Cyclingnews, what type of stuff would be stopped? On a site like Cyclingfans, what would happen if I go to one of their feeds? Would the video play or would the video running be stopped? Does the program notify what script is trying to be run? Does it classify certain as scripts as safe or evil? Where do you get it? Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Race Radio said:
The virus I got was a particularity nasty one. It disabled both my Spybot and anti-virus software. A system restore was the best option.

win32 variants are hard to catch.. but they are a ****** to get rid of, especially sasser, thats been known to infect restore points.

A

Anonymous

manolo said:
I wanted to ask you a few things befoore I tried this. On a site like Yahoo or Cyclingnews, what type of stuff would be stopped? On a site like Cyclingfans, what would happen if I go to one of their feeds? Would the video play or would the video running be stopped? Does the program notify what script is trying to be run? Does it classify certain as scripts as safe or evil? Where do you get it? Thanks!

A lot of the time its just about common sense to be honest.

Use a secure browser, ideally opera, if not firefox
have a DECENT anti virus, I tend to use comodo, just avoid rubbish like AVG
have a DECENT firewall, dont rely on windows free firewall
Install SPyboy S&D and keep it running on immunize and protect mode

and then just use some common sense.,. if sites say they need a particular activex to run, go somewhere else unless you know the site is trusted, dont click on random boxes that say click here to continue. Its almost impossible to get a virus without clicking on things. But opera will block dodgy scripts automatically, firefox is not so secure but will do, and there are loads of plugins.

Ive probably been to more live feed sites than anyone over the last six months, hunting down feeds for random races that even steve etc dont list and ive never had a problem.

manolo said:

Go to the Firefox add-ons site to get it. It's called NoScript.

As the name suggests it bans all scripts except those you allow a) temporarily or permanently and b) individually.

So when watching cycling feeds, everything gets blocked and you just unblock the one responsible for the feed (usually the same domain as the feed website) and leave all the other crap blocked. I usually give temporary permission until the end of the session.

If you don't already know how browser sessions and client-side scripting work, it may take some getting used to, but it's really worthwhile. :)

I use NoScript in conjunction with AdBlock Plus (available from same addons site) and kill 95% of banner ads and popups with that.

A

Anonymous

craig1985 said:
So NoScript is free?

its free yes.. look in firefox extensions
not the easiest things for basic computer users to use though, can be a little bit confusing, and its still only as reliable as the person using it.
Worth adding to ff, but not for the beginner.

I only use firefox for testing, and I find noscript annoying to be honest. more trouble than its worth