• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cyclingnews has hit rock bottom --

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
They need to update quote #0......"Just Relax"

Anyone else notice that Mr Daniel Benson, the fine Managing Editor at CyclingNews, also "follows" Simone LeMond on twitter. Perv:)

The quote they should have put in there is:

"Andy is so ****ing stupid. If he would have had a program, he would have won two or three Tours."

That pretty much sums up Armstrong the man and his career.

EDIT: If the mods are going to edit aa post containing an actual quote for swearing then the least you could do is star it out instead of removing all traces so people know that the cleaned up quote has been doctored, like I just did. Freakin' prudes.

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
The article today did seem a bit random, but Cyclingnews is anything BUT a pro-Armstrong outlet. If anything, I'd argue the contrary. They made Greg "It wasn't my fault I only won 3 Tours" Lemond a part of their site: http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/greg-lemond And gave him a forum in which to bash Armstrong all he could. Many posters in The Clinic could learn a thing from Lemond on how to squeeze anti-Armstrong sentiment into any topic. Follow the link and see how Greg incorporates Lance into an article about peaking for the Tour de France. Unbelievable horsesh*t--and that horse probably had Clenbuterol in it.
I'm tired of the blindly anti and pro Armstrong crowds; I really couldn't care less. I don't get why people are so into it. He retired, the feds are handling it. Done.

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Retired? He's riding the TDU, dude!

Cyclingnews is like a patient just out of a 6-month coma: still thinks the Bachelor is engaged to Vienna; still thinks the majority of it's readership is neanderthal fanboy crowd...

Quotes that didn't quite make the cut:

"Just relax, Simone"
"Come say that to my face"
"Greg buddy, I wish we had two microphones"
"Whatever Don asks me to do...."
"You're Paul Kimmage? I thought so but wasn't sure"

I'm not sure what the issue is here. They did a feature on Lance Armstrong; they've also done features on Mark Cavendish, Bob Stapleton, Peter Stetina and Phil White in the last couple of weeks. So it's not like they only give space to Armstrong, and like it or not, he's the most 'newsworthy' cyclist of all time (in terms of recognizability and sensationalism), so it's natural to see him mentioned occasionally in a news website about cycling.

The only other thing I could think that you'd find pathetic is that you are under the impression that they're pandering to him in some way. As the article was set up to simply say 'here is his career in his own words', it doesn't seem to lean one way or the other. Reading it, actually, kind of made me feel if any intent was behind it it'd be the opposite, because when you pile all those quotes together it sure makes it clear that he's had a lot of people find him suspicious over the years... I felt like 'his own words' in that article cast him in a very poor light, to be honest.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
i liked it.

with what the clinic knows about Uniballer, it reads like a list of cover up quotes and quite pathetically too.

i like it. :D

I'm afraid I'm with the OP on this one, though I'm not sure why it's in the Clinic. For me, it's nothing to do with being sycophantic towards LA, CN's independence, forum support, advertising etc.

It's just that it seems like the editorial equivalent of those Top-10 retro shows on TV where uncool Z-listers comment on stuff that's cool. It seems like the sort of piece that comes in bottom of the list at the editors' brainstorming meeting, tabled because it's Monday morning and someone has to start the ball rolling.

I can think of lots of interesting features I would want to read/write instead of rehashing a bag of quotables published elsewhere, even if some of them are a bit tongue-in-cheek. And don't chime in with the old "well, if you can do better..." line either. Given the opportunity, this is exactly the career I would rather be doing. ;)

I don't see anything wrong with that article. Armstrong is a jerk and 90% of us hate him, but he's also one of the biggest riders of the decade, and he's retiring. Some kind of tribute would be appropriate, but if anything, it's very telling that they chose to include the quotes about Bassons and Simeoni. I wouldn't say CN as a whole is pro-Armstrong.

(Also, they hit rock bottom when they published that piece about that silly site being hijacked by haters, but the whole thing was hilarious so I'm willing to forgive them)

hrotha said:
I don't see anything wrong with that article. Armstrong is a jerk and 90% of us hate him, but he's also one of the biggest riders of the decade, and he's retiring. Some kind of tribute would be appropriate, but if anything, it's very telling that they chose to include the quotes about Bassons and Simeoni. I wouldn't say CN as a whole is pro-Armstrong.

(Also, they hit rock bottom when they published that piece about that silly site being hijacked by haters, but the whole thing was hilarious so I'm willing to forgive them)

Of course you're right about there being a tribute and that it would be appropriate, but this is clearly not it. There will surely be one - and I would expect it to be much more journalistic - after the TdU. :)

L'arriviste said:
Of course you're right about there being a tribute and that it would be appropriate, but this is clearly not it. There will surely be one - and I would expect it to be much more journalistic - after the TdU. :)

There's been so many tributes. Pointless article. A column filler. I mean god was Phinney not available on this day? He could fill 40-50 lines for a nondescript story.

Lance just keeps retiring. Is there any point in adding to the fodder?

A

Anonymous

jae2460 said:
The article today did seem a bit random, but Cyclingnews is anything BUT a pro-Armstrong outlet. If anything, I'd argue the contrary. They made Greg "It wasn't my fault I only won 3 Tours" Lemond a part of their site: http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/greg-lemond And gave him a forum in which to bash Armstrong all he could. Many posters in The Clinic could learn a thing from Lemond on how to squeeze anti-Armstrong sentiment into any topic. Follow the link and see how Greg incorporates Lance into an article about peaking for the Tour de France. Unbelievable horsesh*t--and that horse probably had Clenbuterol in it.
I'm tired of the blindly anti and pro Armstrong crowds; I really couldn't care less. I don't get why people are so into it. He retired, the feds are handling it. Done.

Ahhh yes, another "I don't really care about Lance, but I am going to post about him and the people who post about him because I really don't care...SERIOUSLY YOU GUYS, I DON'T CARE!!!....I am not even kidding, I DON'T CARE!!!....STOP IT, I DON'T CARE!!!....I mean, if I cared, why would I post on a thread about Armstrong about people who post about Armstrong...wait a minute..." poster.

We need more of those :rolleyes:

Thoughtforfood said:
Ahhh yes, another "I don't really care about Lance, but I am going to post about him and the people who post about him because I really don't care...SERIOUSLY YOU GUYS, I DON'T CARE!!!....I am not even kidding, I DON'T CARE!!!....STOP IT, I DON'T CARE!!!....I mean, if I cared, why would I post on a thread about Armstrong about people who post about Armstrong...wait a minute..." poster.

We need more of those :rolleyes:

I'm not an Armstrong fan and I don't hate Greg Lemond, but Lemond is so bitter, has no credibility, has a chip on his shoulder, and is jealous that another American cyclist achieved more than him.

TRENDING THREADS