• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

Cyclo-cross as a Winter Olympic Sport

Greetings, fellow cyclo-cross fans.
I have been watching a lot of cyclo-cross racing this year and it has occurred to me that it would fit in very well with the winter Olympics.
Question is why has this not happened (qm)
I am curious to know if the IOC has been approached in the past to include the sport on the list that includes silly sports like, say, Skeleton. Seriously, who grows up wanting to be a skeleton racer (qm) We could go on and on about the silly winter Olympic sports, but it seems to me that cyclo-cross would be an awesome addition.
We all know that pretty much everyone can lay face down and toboggan down an icy track. All it takes is will to slide down faster than your opponent.
Cyclo-cross is an actual measure of skill and strength.
Come on, fellow cyclo-cross fans. Let s make this happen.

Aug 2, 2012
errrr.............i don't think so

i live in area unsuited to winter olympic sport......hope it stays that way

whatever next?...wiggo thinking he's a ski jumper..............jamaicans thinking they

are the best at bob sleighing...................

Reactions: MartinGT
Greetings, fellow cyclo-cross fans.
I have been watching a lot of cyclo-cross racing this year and it has occurred to me that it would fit in very well with the winter Olympics.
Question is why has this not happened (qm)
I am curious to know if the IOC has been approached in the past to include the sport on the list that includes silly sports like, say, Skeleton. Seriously, who grows up wanting to be a skeleton racer (qm) We could go on and on about the silly winter Olympic sports, but it seems to me that cyclo-cross would be an awesome addition.
We all know that pretty much everyone can lay face down and toboggan down an icy track. All it takes is will to slide down faster than your opponent.
Cyclo-cross is an actual measure of skill and strength.
Come on, fellow cyclo-cross fans. Let s make this happen.
Yes, it should be. Unfortunately, the higher ups don't want to make it happen. Apparently, little over 10 years ago it was on the agenda, but it was one of the seasons where Nys was destroying the competition, and after he also won the WC (his first), they decided the sport was too miniature and easily dominated by a select number of athletes. I'm guessing "unlike dozens of other sports".

It would also be great for the sport, because one of the main reasons mountainbike became more popular, was due to it being an olympic discipline. You have CX riders that actually start riding MTB just to be able to compete at the olympics.

errrr.............i don't think so

i live in area unsuited to winter olympic sport......hope it stays that way

whatever next?...wiggo thinking he's a ski jumper..............jamaicans thinking they

are the best at bob sleighing...................
When you die, i will start a petition for scientists to disect your brain, because some glorious stuff must be going on in there.

Thanks, LIYF. I totally agree--endorsing the sport would open doors to competitors in different countries.
If dominance of one or two different countries is the reason for overlooking a discipline, then women's hockey should have never been introduced.
We all know Gold is going to be won by Canada or the U.S. But the recognition alone has spearheaded programs in a lot of countries, and they are catching up.

Thanks, LIYF. I totally agree--endorsing the sport would open doors to competitors in different countries.
If dominance of one or two different countries is the reason for overlooking a discipline, then women's hockey should have never been introduced.
We all know Gold is going to be won by Canada or the U.S. But the recognition alone has spearheaded programs in a lot of countries, and they are catching up.
Cross would be a great addition . . . but most of the recent additions to the winter olympics are obviously YouTube snippets/Xgames type events like skicross, aerials, etc, not so much classic endurance sports. Aerials drives me nuts because it's essentially just gymnastics with a tiny amount of skiing. Given that's the current emphasis they might as well bring back barrel jumping (on skates) which was a medal sport at one time.

Reactions: Axel Hangleck
Jan 7, 2017
Would be great to see it in the Winter Olympics; and whilst the woman's side is super competitive, and quite international - the mens just isn't. The top 15 is mainly Belgians with maybe 1 or 2 Dutch. That's never going to sell to Olympic officials, especially as those two countries are small TV markets world wide.
Until we see a top 15 with Germans, US, Russians, Chinese, etc involved, it's not going to happen.

Would be great to see it in the Winter Olympics; and whilst the woman's side is super competitive, and quite international - the mens just isn't. The top 15 is mainly Belgians with maybe 1 or 2 Dutch. That's never going to sell to Olympic officials, especially as those two countries are small TV markets world wide.
Until we see a top 15 with Germans, US, Russians, Chinese, etc involved, it's not going to happen.
While that may very well be the case, the fact that they have neglected to turn the sport into an Olympic discipline is one of the main reasons why the sport is being dominated by 2 countries. There used to be a lot of Czech, Swiss, Italian... riders. There was a time nobody cared about Mountainbike until they made it an Olympic discipline. Now all those riders turn to Mountainbike instead of CX simply because it is an Olympic discipline. So it's a self fulfilling prophecy, and a situation they created themselves by denying it for so long. It would be a great addition to winter Olympics, because it is like nothing in the winter lineup.

Also a bit amazed by your statement that womens CX is very competitive unlike mens. It's being dominated by the Dutch women more than men's elite is being dominated by Belgians. Yes, there are a few other nations that can battle for 5-10th spots, but at the end of the day, it's more than likely going to be a Dutch girl winning.

And if they are going to deny it based on which countries it is big in, then they never should have started with about half the disciplines. The moment they announce the sport to go Olympic, you'll see other nations flock to it. Mark my words.

Reactions: Fus087

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS