• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

David Millar - Criterium du Dauphine

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Did I hear our favorite commentators (Liggett & Sherwin) correctly indicating that Millar wanted to podium in the Dauphine?

Looking at his performance, was this one of those nasty dreams one often have or was he really serious? Or just being Millar and cannot deliver?

I was just surprised to see him going backwards that fast on the last day ...

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Millar has never really given up on his dreams of being a stage racer, it's a shame really. He never had a hope at the Dauphine this year, just way too much climbing.

ridley said:
Forgot to mention that he did really well in the ITT, but I don't see him as a mountain goat ... ever

No question ever. But ah, flick back 20 years to 1990 and there was a great man of the name Millar who took this great race. The one and only wee Robert and a mountain goat to boot. And the reason myself and X thousand other Brits of that 'certain' age got addicted to this stupid sport:)

SpartacusRox

BANNED
May 6, 2010
Visit site
Personally I think he needs to just keep his mouth shut and let his legs do the talking, if they can.

I get sick of him talking himself up in races only to fall flat on his face. This one was no exception when he said his plan was to win the TT by 2 minutes and then hang on in the hills.

Yeah good one Dave!:rolleyes:

SpartacusRox said:
Personally I think he needs to just keep his mouth shut and let his legs do the talking, if they can.

I get sick of him talking himself up in races only to fall flat on his face. This one was no exception when he said his plan was to win the TT by 2 minutes and then hang on in the hills.

Did he actually say that though? The cyclingnews seems to suggest that he thought he could win (overall success) - but nowhere does he actually say that he things he is going to win on GC. He did mention getting two minutes on the climbers - by this i would assume he was talking about people like Szymd rather than the top GC guys.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/millar-hoping-for-overall-success-at-dauphine

Velonation article says he was targetting the top 5.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/4486/David-Millar-keeps-Dauphine-dream-alive.aspx

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
SpartacusRox said:

Here Here...I too wish he would just shut up. :cool: