• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dirk Hofman Homes?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Dirk Hofman Homes!

Anyone got the low down on this?

Is it the same guy holding the sign at all these races? Is he even a cycling fan because at the very climax of a race he seems more interested in making sure his sign is up and in view of the camera, then watching the action?

Is he just eccentric like Didi the devil or has he made a fortune selling motorhomes through this method of advertising?

In Ireland there is a guy who turns up at all the big games, Football, Rugby, Gaelic Football and Hurling, anytime the game is going to be televised and holds a sign saying John 8:12 for obvious biblical reasons and he is not a sports fan!

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Dirk Hofman Homes!

Is it the same guy holding the sign at all these races? Is he even a cycling fan because at the very climax of a race he seems more interested in making sure his sign is up and in view of the camera, then watching the action?

Is he just eccentric like Didi the devil or has he made a fortune selling motorhomes through this method of advertising?

In Ireland there is a guy who turns up at all the big games, Football, Rugby, Gaelic Football and Hurling, anytime the game is going to be televised and holds a sign saying John 8:12 for obvious biblical reasons and he is not a sports fan!

Love this guy and great ambush marketing. We are of course now giving him more free exposure :)

Reading between the lines, it would seem that Dirk makes a bag out of renting off his motorhomes to those crazy Flemish fans who follow the whole Tour de France during their summer holidays. See the whacking prices he charges in July! :)

Hence his clever campaign consisting of numerous free TV spots! :p

An all-too-rare example of Belgian entrepeneurism indeed!

http://www.dirkhofman.be/

Black-Balled said:
Never heard of him...;):rolleyes:

o0qye1.jpg

Benotti69 said:
Dirk Hofman Homes!

like the "rainbow man" - the dude in the rainbow afro wig with John 3:16 at every major sporting event from olympics to the superbowl...

Dirk would be better off puting his logo on the rooves of all his motorhomes for the helicopter shots

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I was really surprised to see Dirk Hofman in California recently! So far I'd only seen him in Belgium. I also saw a similar sign for a Slagerij (butcher) in ATOC.

What does it say in John 3:16 or 3:18?

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Christian said:
I was really surprised to see Dirk Hofman in California recently! So far I'd only seen him in Belgium. I also saw a similar sign for a Slagerij (butcher) in ATOC.

I don't think it is one guy, Especially if he was in California during the ToC, because he was also at the giro. I think he just lets people use his campers for a discount if they wave his sign :p

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Barrus said:
I don't think it is one guy, Especially if he was in California during the ToC, because he was also at the giro. I think he just lets people use his campers for a discount if they wave his sign :p

you have experience of this discount :p

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Barrus said:
If I knew for certain did this, I would so rent one of his campers

(I'm Dutch, what would you expect :p)

i would expect you to rent a motorhome from a Dutchman of course....

but then drive it to Italy for the summer:D

Barrus said:

I had such a laugh when watching the riders struggle up the mountain and then... Boom; a guy with a sign for Dirk Hofman. Too funny! Almost just as fun seeing it become a thread on CN afterwards!!

May 26, 2010
Visit site
JPM London said:
I had such a laugh when watching the riders struggle up the mountain and then... Boom; a guy with a sign for Dirk Hofman. Too funny! Almost just as fun seeing it become a thread on CN afterwards!!

OK OK I hang my head in shame.

But i was genuinely curious was he one guy or had gone viral with his sign in some ingenious method at cycling events, ie contacts amongst other motorhomes etc...He does all the cycloX too. Maybe he has a motorhome kitted out as his motoroffice to get to all these events.

Funny thing. I was watching a replay that ES were playing of stage 15 today and about 900m from the end, i though i saw a Dirk H sign.

So i rewind pause and there it is. Only its only half a sign, and the guy isnt holding it up, hes holding it down. Probably doesnt think the camera is there.

But the sign just says

Dirk H
Motor

So its a folable sign that they unfold when they want to show it.

Considering we saw another guy holding it up 1 minute later, well it says theres loads of them.

Because no way one guy flew up the mountain from Contador to Nieve in half a minute. ;)

Christian said:

John 3:16 is boring.

Austin 3:16 is better.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Archibald said:
its the one about God so loving the world that he gave his only begotten son...

rainbowman2.jpg

So what does this have to do with sports events?

I do remember this now:

"Dear God, we know from John 3:16 that you sent your son,
Your only son to save us.
But at the same time, we're all your children
So in your eyes, we're a bunch of girls.
So help us as we struggle with invitations of lesbianism
Amen."

- Bo Burnham

Benotti69 said:

No need to! I was being earnest - I liked it became a thread :)

Spare Tyre said:
I hate the bloody Dirk H sign. Visual pollution, usually at an exciting point in a race.

Ah, it's a regular occurrence, then? Funny never noticed it before - or at least not enough to remember it afterwards. I guess when you've seen it another couple of times it's easy to get bored by it...

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:

But i was genuinely curious was he one guy or had gone viral with his sign in some ingenious method at cycling events, ie contacts amongst other motorhomes etc...He does all the cycloX too. Maybe he has a motorhome kitted out as his motoroffice to get to all these events.

I don't know whether he does all the cyclocross, I don't think I saw him at the Spanish race cyclocross race(s)

The Hitch said:
Funny thing. I was watching a replay that ES were playing of stage 15 today and about 900m from the end, i though i saw a Dirk H sign.

So i rewind pause and there it is. Only its only half a sign, and the guy isnt holding it up, hes holding it down. Probably doesnt think the camera is there.

But the sign just says

Dirk H
Motor

So its a folable sign that they unfold when they want to show it.

Generally they only show it when the first riders come by - this is the only properly guaranteed airtime. :)

I first alluded to Dirk in the Miscellaneous mysteries of pro cycling thread I started a while back because I also wanted to know about the 'Luc' guy who is also a very frequent occurrence. So I just thought I'd bump that in case anyone knows.

2q1urlf.jpg

Yeah, Dirk Hofman Motorhomes and ".....Waele Slagerij" something use exactly the same sign design, very similar font and precisely the same tactics. You would have to think the businesses are related somehow.

I am suspicious of how they get their placement so absolutely perfect. Are they in league with the Belgian tv teams who are instructing them, "links, links, recht, ja, ja perfekt"??

The Olympics has come down very hard on this ambush marketing with stewards immediately bundling away anybody who tries it. Maybe cycling is next. Better watch out, Dirk.