• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

(Dis) respect for Le Maillot Jaune

Mods. If you think this deserves to be in the stage 17 thread please feel free to delete.

But, really, have you ever seen such an open display of contempt by a rider for his Captain? Sky have secured 1-2 but I don't think it will be a happy dining room tonight. Just a pity there isn't another mountain stage tomorrow where things could have got really interesting;)

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
ferryman said:
Mods. If you think this deserves to be in the stage 17 thread please feel free to delete.

But, really, have you ever seen such an open display of contempt by a rider for his Captain? Sky have secured 1-2 but I don't think it will be a happy dining room tonight. Just a pity there isn't another mountain stage tomorrow where things could have got really interesting;)

Armstrong's contempt for Contador in 2009? If Froome had ridden off, that would have been far more serious.

Agree that it was disrespectful in a sense. Froome wanted it to be known that he was the strongest guy in the race, not Bradley--which is now the case. IMO, it will make an already weak win look even weaker. Either be a team player or don't. You don't get credit for going through the motions.

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
I love it. :D Shows Froome should win.

Yes but Froome didn't respect his leader neither, you play the rol of perfect helper or you stab the knife in his chest and go for it, but don't act like this.

First and second both, but classless.

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Panda Claws said:
Froome is a ****. Everyone already knew he was a better climber, but he has to show it: "Look everyone, I am actually better."

Can you blame him? He's the strongest rider and he only gets to finish 2nd.

Forunculo said:
A correct thread;) I can't remember a yellow jersey humillated by a teammate like this current edition

1986 Hinault and Lemond its the greatest example hands down, unless you take into account of Hinault saying he was just checking to see his temamates strength.

The greatest disrespect eventhough not the Tour, would be 87 Giro for Roche when most of his Italian teammates formed alliances against him.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
both W and F look total idiots on the screen, even W win this tour, it will be said it is gifted by F. I wonder how he is going to feel about it. What a joke!

Froom only have himself to blame, just in a few years he will deeply regret what he did in this tour. Sounds like he was already in pain now. I don't think W feel happy about this tour either. He will constantly be accused the winner of gifted tour by fans and media. There is just no real and happy winner emerged from SKY in this tour. Will W and F even smile on the podium? Maybe a difficult one.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Carl0880 said:
1986 Hinault and Lemond its the greatest example hands down, unless you take into account of Hinault saying he was just checking to see his temamates strength.

The greatest disrespect eventhough not the Tour, would be 87 Giro for Roche when most of his Italian teammates formed alliances against him.

Didn't Roche start the problems by riding against Visentini, or is my memory faulty?

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Panda Claws said:
Froome is a ****. Everyone already knew he was a better climber, but he has to show it: "Look everyone, I am actually better."

Annoying behavior and no I am not a Wiggins/Team Sky fan.

I would like to think that most people would not do so, but I think any of us in the same situation with such frustration over being unable to ride to our ability would do exactly the same.

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Publicus said:
Agree that it was disrespectful in a sense. Froome wanted it to be known that he was the strongest guy in the race, not Bradley--which is now the case. IMO, it will make an already weak win look even weaker. Either be a team player or don't. You don't get credit for going through the motions.

What? He wanted to win the stage. Showing what? He don't need to do that, he just wanted this fricking stage.

As gooner wrote, he had to work at the Vuelta, in the leaders jersey.
I like Wiggins, but after that, he and Sky can do me a favor...

May 19, 2011
Visit site
roundabout said:
With 2 and a bit climbing kms to go and Wiggins 2 minutes ahead and a 50+km TT to come, why not let him try and win the stage?

Are 20ish seconds that Froome could have gained so important?

because deep in the W's heart, he is scared of F, F could take time on W like last year Vuelta. Also you have consider misfortune, what if W had a puncture in TT, that is easily 20 seconds gone. To be on the safe side, W or SKY team won't let F go:D

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Pippo_San said:
As I stated before, it's like Sky is playing racist, just like they want the pure British breed to win the Tour for the first time.

What they did during this Tour really vilify the entire sport.

British culture, if it is in USA Froom is going to be portrayed as a hero heavily favored by everyone, an immigrant who realized his american dream:D

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Froome had it coming to him. He could have signed any team after the Vuelta last year but he chose to stay with Sky. And to be honest I think Froome was treated worse at the Vuelta than the Tour.

Besides, I don't really get why Froome left the front before his attacks on both the Peyragudes stage and the Toussuire stage. Obviously Froome has a better acceleration than Wiggins but I'm not so sure that he would have been able to take minutes on Wiggins like some posters suggest.

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Pippo_San said:
As I stated before, it's like Sky is playing racist, just like they want the pure British breed to win the Tour for the first time.

What they did during this Tour really vilify the entire sport.

Is BMC also playing racist by having TJVG wait for Evans?

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Magnus said:
Froome had it coming to him. He could have signed any team after the Vuelta last year but he chose to stay with Sky. And to be honest I think Froome was treated worse at the Vuelta than the Tour.

Besides, I don't really get why Froome left the front before his attacks on both the Peyragudes stage and the Toussuire stage. Obviously Froome has a better acceleration than Wiggins but I'm not so sure that he would have been able to take minutes on Wiggins like some posters suggest.

Will he be this strong if leave the SKY? I am interested to know.

UpTheRoad said:
Didn't Roche start the problems by riding against Visentini, or is my memory faulty?

Yes, Roche attacked teammate Visentini while he was leading the 87 Giro and split the team in two. He ended up beating his teammate. He was vilified in the in the Italian press and despised by the Tiffosi. Strangely, he was the underdog hero in the Anglophile press.

He went on to win the TDF and the World Championships that year. He was, of course clean as a whistle.

Froome has ridden a smart race in support of Wiggins and is doing the absolutely best thing for his career long term. His future success, barring injury, is pretty well established, and his value as a team member very well documented.

Speculation that he could survive a Team Sky mutiny physically or politically is extremely naive.

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
marioni said:
Can you blame him? He's the strongest rider and he only gets to finish 2nd.

There has been nothing to stop him riding off and putting time in to Wiggins. As it stands he's simply acted like a petulant child whom really needs to grow a pair of balls and follow through with his attacks or grow up and accept his role a domestique.

TRENDING THREADS