• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Do You Care About Woman Cycling?

Do You Care About Woman Cycling?

• I only care about Marianne Vos, truly amazing.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't care about womens cycling for the same reason that I don't care about any womens sport. When I watch sport I want to know that its being played to the highest standard. Whether that's cycling, rugby or boxing it just isn't as good as the men. Mind I used to like womens tennis when there were a few fitties about.

A

Anonymous

As far as it goes for any women sport - very, very little if at all.

Specifically cycling - I just read few articles with results here and there.

levione said:
I don't care about womens cycling for the same reason that I don't care about any womens sport. When I watch sport I want to know that its being played to the highest standard. Whether that's cycling, rugby or boxing it just isn't as good as the men. Mind I used to like womens tennis when there were a few fitties about.

That's truly dumb. Whether it's women, juniors, or third division football, you're missing out on a lot of good action. The "Highest standard" is often comparatively boring.

LauraLyn

BANNED
Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
levione said:

At long as women are excluded by men from participating in their sports, you will never know if it is being played to the highest standard.

Yes, of course. Look at the yawn fest that was the men's Olympics Road Race and the women's Race. No comparison, the women's was exciting.

The women ride shorter distances (whether that's right or not is another question), but that means that there's more attacking and the racing is less controlled. Personally I think that makes it better to watch.

Yes! I care. But of course, I simply care about cycling.:D

levione said:

It's the highest standard in women's cycling. Of course they aren't on par with the men. But they're still the best in their division.

ebandit said:
yet your post offered even less?

looking forward to the worlds womens time trial /road race just as much as the mens

if only eurosport offered decent coverage of other races
Maybe I already expressed my opinion, no?

Maybe because it is crazy to think that any women can push the same watts for an hour as Tony ;)

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Descender said:
Let's see, how do I say this in a politically correct way...

I care about women and I care about cycling.

I also care about pineapples and I care about pizza. Now you don't want to know what I think of the Hawaii.

With that garbage, i couldn't give a toss about anything you think

LauraLyn

BANNED
Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Swabian Lass said:
Yes, of course. Look at the yawn fest that was the men's Olympics Road Race and the women's Race. No comparison, the women's was exciting.

The women ride shorter distances (whether that's right or not is another question), but that means that there's more attacking and the racing is less controlled. Personally I think that makes it better to watch.

Definitely agree about that.

Still congratulations to the President of Kazakhstan for his Olympic cycling gold medal.

Very little. The Olympics was an exellent race but the few races I've previously watched were rather poor - topped with the WC 2011 which was pretty much a big fat middle finger towards the sport of cycling itself. (And no - the bad route wasn't to blame solely).

zapata said:
That's truly dumb. Whether it's women, juniors, or third division football, you're missing out on a lot of good action. The "Highest standard" is often comparatively boring.

Cycling is different, isn't it. You can't - in the same way - see that the level might be lower than the male's races since it's basically just the speeds that differ. Football, however, is different. I've watched enough womens Champions League and World Cups to see that it's god awful. That might not be a popular opinion but that's the truth.

Here we go again.

"I only want to see the best": these are the best women. Judge like against like, women's cycling and men's cycling are different products. Is Veronica Campbell-Brown worthless cos Bolt runs faster? Is Marit Bjørgen meaningless because Petter Northug skis further?

"The product isn't entertaining": sometimes it isn't, no, but a lot of men's races are boring as hell too. Sometimes it's really entertaining. Think about recent Worlds and Olympics where the men have put on good races. Almost universally, they are accompanied by good women's races. And when the women's race truly sucked? The men's race did too. The riders may make the race, but the gender of the riders makes no difference. One of the problems is not being able to see enough of it to actually care about the various attack moves and so on, because of a lack of emotional engagement with the characters involved. After all, a lot of people were enthralled by the tedious bromance between Schleck and Contador on the Tourmalet. A week earlier, the two best female climbers in the world had also been going at it on an iconic climb. Mara Abbott and Emma Pooley tried to destroy one another on the Stelvio, with the American coming out on top. The racing was better with the women, but with the importance of the Tour and the profile of the men's race people were gripped by Contador and Schleck's love-in.

Circular argument is circular.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
RedheadDane said:
Yes! I care. But of course, I simply care about cycling.:D

This exactly, same for me, I care about cycling in general.

I take a bigger interest in men's cycling obviously because there is more coverage of it and there is more of it. But if there was more woman's cycling and more coverage of it I would definitely take a bigger interest in it.

Jul 25, 2010
twitter.com
I saw England V Brazil womens football at the Olympics and it was brilliant. Ok so they may not be able to kick the ball as far as the men and their shots are not as powerful... but my god it was one brilliant game. The tackles were just as hard and not one player ever started crying or *****ing at the ref. They just picked themselves up off the floor and started running again. They played with pride, respect and passion.

And it's the same with womens cycling. They race not to be rich or famous but because they're passionate about the sport.

It's why I love womens racing. They don't do it in the hope of making it big, but because they love doing it. The races are different to which makes for a nice contrast with the men.

DominicDecoco said:
Very little. The Olympics was an exellent race but the few races I've previously watched were rather poor - topped with the WC 2011 which was pretty much a big fat middle finger towards the sport of cycling itself. (And no - the bad route wasn't to blame solely).

Just mostly to blame. The men's race was not any better. The people who okayed that course should be put up against the wall. The men ended up with the disgrace of Cavendish as world champion.

Women's racing can offer more exciting racing because there is a large variance in performance, much larger than there is for the men. A lot of one day races should have a women's race that finishes an hour before the men's.

TRENDING THREADS