• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Do You Consider J.Rodriguez a Wheelsucker?

Do You Consider J.Rodriguez a Wheelsucker?

• Not really but his racing style can annoy me.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Personally i don't think he is but sometimes it gets annoying when i usually see him on someone's wheel but he attacks unlike others. So i wouldn't call him a complete wheelsucker, that's silly.

Edit: thinking about it.

In classics he's usually pretty agressive while in GT's he takes a way other approach. Wait until last km was his attack in the giro and vuelta last year. Although he tried for a little bit on the mortirolo but that ended quickly.

Yes he is too some extend (but its a question of definition), but I would too if I had the best sprint in the end, just like I would if I had the best TT, and in general I dont mind wheelsuckers at all. Its part of the game and different ridingstyles and tactics is part of what makes cycling interesting.

i dont think wheelsucking is as much about whether someone attacks or not as whether they contribute to the chase when they dont attack.

I dont think he does this. I think Rodriguez when there are no teammates with him does his fair share of pulling. At least i saw him doing just that with froome in Oman 2 days ago even though since Froome was in the red jersey he could have just said - **** you froome, you do all the work if you want to keep this jersey. And many would have done that.

And imo his failure to attack in the giro wasnt wheelsucking so much as boring and bad strategy on his part. But its not like he glued hisself to Ryders wheel for the whole race. He just left his attacks till late but they werent groups of 5 riders but groups of 20 and 30.

Similarly in the Vuelta though he followed Contador when Contador attacked, when they were in the same group he didnt sit the whole time behind Contador making sure that Contador couldnt attack. He actually often contributed to the pulls himself or sat behind Valverde and this allowed Contador to attack 10 gazzilion times every stage because when caught J Rod would allow him to sit at the back of the group again.

Contrast this to Schleck and Contador for example doing trackstands in order to make sure one or the other couldnt attack, especially on Tourmalet where Contador (who otherwise is the last name that comes to mind on wheelsucking) never let Schleck get behind him for fear of an attack. he stayed on Schlecks wheel the whole way up the climb.

J Rods Lombardy win also goes a way to play down claims that he is a wheelsucker. That was a great attack from 12k out or something and he held of a chasing pack of half a dozen riders for 10 k on the flat with just a 9 second advantage.

Vino attacks everyone said:
To me a wheelsucker is someone like Leipheimer that does it even though he has no chance winning a spint. JRod is just playing at his strenghts

My thoughts too. Leipheimer is the first name which comes to mind when "wheelsucker" is mentioned and Purito isn't that bad, especially in the classics.

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Like someone else said, not everyone can be Contador. Makes me laugh when people are screaming "attack, attack attack!!!" to their favourite riders. If they could attack why wouldn't they, that's what makes cycling such a great sport imo, you know that everyone is on the absolute limit and you can't really fault them for not "trying" harder.

That being said, obviously we have seen that J-rod has the ability to drop just about anyone in a steep uphill finish, and I am sure more people would like to see him attack from further out, but why change what is working?

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Rodriguez attacked at Morzine/Avoriaz, Mende, Zoncolan, Sestrieres, Collet d'Allevard, Piani de Resinelli and Bola del Mundo. At least 3 of these attempts were resultative. I think if we take all GC riders and compare then in this regard, he will lose only to Contador, however some people anyway vote 'YES'.

airstream said:
Rodriguez attacked at Morzine/Avoriaz, Mende, Zoncolan, Sestrieres, Collet d'Allevard, Piani de Resinelli and Bola del Mundo. At least 3 of these attempts were resultative. I think if we take all GC riders and compare then in this regard, he will lose only to Contador, however some people anyway vote 'YES'.
He will clearly lose to Nibali. A true attacker.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Rodriguez is as bad as Big Mig. Horrible rider.

Miguel was cool, IE waiting for his teamate Delgado as a domestique, and hanging onto "pure climbers" on the big climbs like Virenque, Chiappuci, (cough).

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Netserk said:
Nibali attacked in the last four mountain stages of the tour, L-B-L, MSR, T-A, GdL, Vuelta and Giro.

Nibali attacks all year in almost every race where he has form.

Ah, ok. I agree. I just rate uphill moves much higher than any other and Nibali traditionally has problem with that.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
To me a wheelsucker is someone like Leipheimer that does it even though he has no chance winning a spint. JRod is just playing at his strenghts

Pretty much agree with this. Plus Purito has too frequently attacked in the past and chased down others that were attacking him to classify him as a wheelsucker.

Rodriguez also isn't the kind of rider that stays glued to his teammates or other riders wheels and wait for the attacking rider to be reeled back in, I consider that wheelsucking. Rodriguez will follow the attacking rider.

TRENDING THREADS