• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Does size matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2019
Visit site
Thought a catchy title might get more responses....
Bought my son a new bike for Christmas and now I’m worried I got too large a frame.
He’s 12, a little over 5’4, likely coming into a growth spurt in a few months... but now he’s 5’4”. He’s getting a Scott Scale 980 29er. Size M.
Scott sizing chart I just found says M starts at 5’7”. Can I have the seat post cut off a little? Should I? He’s riding an old trek 820 26er now. I’m afraid I’ve made too big a jump. Someone talk me off the ledge. Or tell me if I’m screwed.
https://discord.software/ FetLife vshare

Last edited:
Thought a catchy title might get more responses....
Bought my son a new bike for Christmas and now I’m worried I got too large a frame.
He’s 12, a little over 5’4, likely coming into a growth spurt in a few months... but now he’s 5’4”. He’s getting a Scott Scale 980 29er. Size M.
Scott sizing chart I just found says M starts at 5’7”. Can I have the seat post cut off a little? Should I? He’s riding an old trek 820 26er now. I’m afraid I’ve made too big a jump. Someone talk me off the ledge. Or tell me if I’m screwed.
https://discord.software/ FetLife vshare

IANAL, and TINLA.

I would not cut the seat post down at all before I contacted the manufacturer to see what the specified maximum distance of seat post can be removed (provided that they allow any modification at all) or what the minimum length of post must remain (or most likely a minimum seat post length ) and also call your local legal expert to check any local laws, ordinances, statutes or any other type of case law that you can base your (hopefully) informed decision on.

As I read and re-read your question I have to admit that I've become quite concerned and quite frankly i'm a little shocked that the desicion you'll make for the safety of your child is being left to an internet message board full of anonymous strangers, while at the same time creating a situation where anyone who decided to answer your question could be held liable for anything that may happen as a result of this conversation. The CN forums have had a forum rule for a few years that specifically forbade soliciting these boards for any form of legal counsel, medical opinion or financial advice, as well as other professional services. I will close this thread per forum policy and ask you politely to refrain from posing another question of similar substance.

TIA for understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.