• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

"Doping in Sports" - a 2 hour video on Fora.tv (2012)

I found a video about doping, "Doping in Sports: Personal, Cultural and Athletic Impact". It's from an event in San Fransisco, August 2012, where three proffessors talks about doping. There's also a panel discussion. I don't know if this has been posted before.

Here's the summary from the site:
The incredible feats that athletes accomplish fascinate us, but what are the personal, cultural and athletic impact of doping in sports?

After the Olympic Games and just prior to the America's Cup World Series in San Francisco, swissnex San Francisco will kick off its series Sports & Tech with the event Gaming the System: Doping in Sports, focusing on the controversial and omnipresent use of performance enhancers in sports.

Max Gassman tells us about his research on the hormone erythropoietin (EPO), which elevates red cell blood production and increases arterial oxygen, ultimately leading to improved exercise performance. Gassman will explain how EPO, normally used to treat patients who suffer from anemia, is also an effective blood-doping agent used by some athletes. He presents his data on mice and the adaptive mechanisms of humans who live at elevations above 3000 meters, where the reduced availability of oxygen induces the production of EPO.

Carsten Lundby of the University of Zurich presents his research on blood doping in the sporting world. This common practice has been around for at least half a century, and Lundby discusses its effects and attempts by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) to detect and limit blood doping, as well as whether they have been successful.

Finally, John Gleaves from California State University, Fullerton, addresses how the cultural fascination with performance-enhancing technologies, manifesting itself as both fear and enthusiasm, reveals larger social concerns about what it means to be human and how to handle advances in sciences that affect sporting performance. Because sports mirror our society, our interest in doping tells us more about ourselves than we realize.

Kate Scott, sports anchor at KNBR 680 AM in San Francisco, joins us as the moderator for the panel discussion.

I haven't seen the whole thing yet, only snippets (well, 1 hour I guess). And I doubt there's anything new for the regular clinic posters. But I thought I should share anyway:
http://fora.tv/2012/08/20/Doping_in_Sports_Personal_Cultural_and_Athletic_Impact

It's a pity we're not able to hear the questions from the audience during the presentations. It's also annoying that we don't see what the audience are seeing when the proffessors are pointing at specific parts of their power point charts (we only see the charts as a fixed graphic). The video seems to be downloadable (worked for me).

EDIT:

The original link seems to be down but here is the Youtube link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTjpgidjgWE

Overview of the first 35 minutes or so (I will post more headlines later). Times are approximate!

03:46 Kate Scott mentions that doping is happening as she speaks:
Rémy Di Grégorio was arresteed during the Tour de France and suspected of doping and of drug trafficking. The London Olympics also had a number of cases.

07:45 A poll among the participants of this conference revealed that 42% said doping can't be stopped, 32% said it's possible in some disciplines, and only 26% thought it can be stopped.

09:30 Max Gassman tells how the biological EPO circulation works (Kidneys -> bone marrow -> erythrocytes -> hematocrit -> oxygen uptake).

15:44 Gassman reveals that the highest Hct measured in humans is 91! They measured Hct of 86-91 in three Peruvian lowlanders who were brought to work in a mine at very high altitude without acclimatization. They were also affected by some cobalt intoxication (in the mines) which further reduced the oxygen intake and therefore caused their system to increase their Hct.

17:55 Gassman shows how transgenetically modified mice with a Hct of 0.80 can only run for a few minutes while wild type mice (typically Hct of 0.40) can run for 75 minutes.

18:55 Gassman mentions Eero Mäntyranta, the Finnish Cross Country skier who had a natural Hct of 0.68.

20:42 Gassman examines the optimun Hct level. For wild type mice, the optimum Hct turned out to be 0.57 (raised from their natural level of c. 0.40 with the use of EPO), while the best Hct for genetically modified mice with a Hct of 0.80 turned out to be 0.68 (Hct was lowered chemically by 'destroying' red blood cells). Graph @ 21:45.

The reason why a higher Hct isn't neccessarily better is because of blood viscosity. The blood becomes too thick.

27:00 Gassmann explains how and why mice with a Hct of 0.8-0.9 don't live very long.

28:48 Gassmann explains Repoxygen (Recombinant epo oxygen gene therapy), and why it was abandoned by its Oxford-based company.

32:00 However, there's a new solution which works on humans! You can take a pill and thereby increase your Hct. "This will be a problem in the future", according to Gassmann, and "not easy to detect".

el_angliru said:
I found a video about doping, "Doping in Sports: Personal, Cultural and Athletic Impact". It's from an event in San Fransisco, August 2012, where three proffessors talks about doping. There's also a panel discussion. I don't know if this has been posted before.

Here's the summary from the site:

I haven't seen the whole thing yet, only snippets (well, 1 hour I guess). And I doubt there's anything new for the regular clinic posters. But I thought I should share anyway:
http://fora.tv/2012/08/20/Doping_in_Sports_Personal_Cultural_and_Athletic_Impact

It's a pity we're not able to hear the questions from the audience during the presentations. It's also annoying that we don't see what the audience are seeing when the proffessors are pointing at specific parts of their power point charts (we only see the charts as a fixed graphic). The video seems to be downloadable (worked for me).

The scientists are excellent but the philosopher is inadequate and says very little. I was struck by how the middle speaker effectively said that sports are out of control and cannot be regulated. That cheating was too "cheap" and too "easy".

The problem of the philosopher is that he has neither studied Aquinas nor even MacIntyre. He fails to grasp (the essential theme of MacIntyre) that what the West now lacks and desperately needs is "another Benedict" as in St. Benedict. That the moral tools to debate doping have been lost. All we have left is Paul Kimmage. Better than most but not enough. Having said that, the Irish saved civilisation once before so perhaps they could do so again. Go Paul!

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Exactly what we all hoped for - plenty of brutal stuff in the labs, that PHD inhibitor method looks promising. Fortunately this "no brake" gene stuff didnot go wild (smells deadly).

Still, the best story is without the doubt that one of grandma on EPO (eagerly watching TdF because of feeling "connected"). How about Floyd in the testo ad next time?

This seems to be the key slide - building up to the neater pill based way of getting the effect of epo without taking epo. :(
About minute 32 into the video.
Clipboard_zpsa6e35730.gif

the Video

At 1hr 32 the Questions and Answers are interesting.

Theres a question about TUE's. They talk about how theres a high percentage of baseball players with TUE's for ADHD...apparently they take it to increase concentration.

Also marathon runners with asthma and bronchial dilation medication.

One audience member suggested individual sports are monitoring their own TUE's....martial arts allowing testosterone.

Yet again - if TUE information was divulged surely WADA would be able to see which medications enhance performance in a particular sport.

another interesting bit of info from Carsten Lundby...doping is very cheap but in order to do a program, which is necessary to avoid the biopassport..... you are talking of 3 to 4 people being involved.

i.e. to do the transfusions etc.

The original link seems to be down but here is a Youtube link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTjpgidjgWE

I've made an overview of the first 35 minutes or so (I will post more headlines later). Times are approximate!

03:46 Kate Scott mentions that doping is happening as she speaks (august 2012):
Rémy Di Grégorio was arresteed during the Tour de France and suspected of doping and of drug trafficking. The London Olympics also had a number of cases.

07:45 A poll among the participants of this conference revealed that 42% said doping can't be stopped, 32% said it's possible in some disciplines, and only 26% thought it can be stopped.

09:30 Max Gassman tells how the biological EPO circulation works (Kidneys -> bone marrow -> erythrocytes -> hematocrit -> oxygen uptake).

15:44 Gassman reveals that the highest Hct measured in humans is 91! They measured Hct of 86-91 in three Peruvian lowlanders who were brought to work in a mine at very high altitude without acclimatization. They were also affected by some cobalt intoxication (in the mines) which further reduced the oxygen intake and therefore caused their system to increase their Hct.

17:55 Gassman shows how transgenetically modified mice with a Hct of 0.80 can only run for a few minutes while wild type mice (typically Hct of 0.40) can run for 75 minutes.

18:55 Gassman mentions Eero Mäntyranta, the Finnish Cross Country skier who had a natural Hct of 0.68.

20:42 Gassman examines the optimum Hct level. For wild type mice, the optimum Hct turned out to be 0.57 (raised from their natural level of c. 0.40 with the use of EPO), while the best Hct for genetically modified mice with a Hct of 0.80 turned out to be 0.68 (Hct was lowered chemically by 'destroying' red blood cells). Graph @ 21:45.

The reason why a higher Hct isn't neccessarily better is because of blood viscosity. The blood becomes too thick.

27:00 Gassmann explains how and why mice with a Hct of 0.8-0.9 don't live very long.

28:48 Gassmann explains Repoxygen (Recombinant epo oxygen gene therapy), and why it was abandoned by its Oxford-based company.

32:00 However, there's a new solution which works on humans! You can take a pill and thereby increase your Hct. "This will be a problem in the future", according to Gassmann, and "not easy to detect".

I've updated OP as well.

I wonder if there's a name for the drug in question - also mentioned by TourOfSardinia a couple of posts up?

More Strides than Rides said:
There was a thread in the clinic about "EPO in a pill" several months ago. Searching is difficult, but the pill had a name of letters and numbers, a format like GW1519 (or whatever).

I'll see if I can find it.

FG-4592

It wasn't a seperate thread, but a post in the Doping in Other Sports thread about a French Racewalker caught for it.
viewtopic.php?p=1691773#p1691773

May be what they were talking about? I haven't listened to the whole thing, only read the posts here.

The most salient bit in the video the OP linked to is the quote from Victor Conte which Kate Scott relates at 5:15, that doping is rampant because (as I have opined in the CN forums many times) the doping technology runs far in advance of the anti-doping technology.

The anti-doping forces generally operate with a fixed and limited budget, play a reactive game, perpetually chasing the current doping practices, and are constrained by certain conventions purportedly imposed in the interest of not materially interfering with the sporting activity or violating the athletes' rights to privacy.

The dopers, OTOH, operate pro-actively, regularly changing their doping substances and their techniques so as to avoid establishing a predictable pattern (much the same as every good code changes its cypher key frequently to prevent the code becoming "crackable"). And doping is a "for profit" enterprise operating on a positive feedback loop. The better you dope, the more money you win, the more marketable you become, which provides additional funding for future doping efforts. Their only rule is "Win, at any cost. Avoid detection, if possible, and try not to kill yourself, but above all, win."

[edit]
At 1:44:55 of the video in the OP, Max Gassmann states:
Lance Armstrong's budget for his lawyers is higher than what is the Swiss WADA ...well, the Swiss anti-doping lab runs for the whole year.
[/edit]

Not to mention that pro cycling is a sport that has since birth been a hotbed for cheating of every stripe, but PEDs probably has been the most endemic form, owing to, for the most part, indifferent and/or feckless enforcement.

Under those conditions, barring the advent of some infallible and universally administered testing technique(s), it is improbable to the extreme that the sport will ever become clean.