• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

Doping in the Iditarod ...yes, the dogs

Jul 18, 2010
934
0
0
I wonder if the dogs did this own their own or if the "musher" was involved, too.

Even sled dogs of the Iditarod aren’t immune to drug scandals

By Joe Tacopino October 11, 2017 | 12:34am

Several dogs competing in the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race have tested positive for a “prohibited substance” causing the race to change its rules regarding drug use.

The Iditarod Trail Committee issued a statement that said a single musher’s team tested positive for a prohibited substance but would not say what the substance was.

Because of the previous rules, race officials could not disqualify the team because they could not prove intent.

The revised rules now holds a musher strictly liable for any positive test.

The race committee also spelled out what drugs the dogs would be prohibited from using.

That list included: anabolic steroids, cough suppressants, muscle relaxants, tranquilizers, and opiates.
 
Re:

Robert5091 said:
There is a big difference here. Horses and dogs never "take" Tramadol. That implies some sort of consent.

Of course I'm not saying cyclists should be able to while racing, I'm just saying that I can understand why the rules would be different.
 
Re: Re:

King Boonen said:
Robert5091 said:
There is a big difference here. Horses and dogs never "take" Tramadol. That implies some sort of consent.

Of course I'm not saying cyclists should be able to while racing, I'm just saying that I can understand why the rules would be different.
Precisely. These animals have no say in what is administerd to them.
 
Re: Re:

veganrob said:
King Boonen said:
Robert5091 said:
There is a big difference here. Horses and dogs never "take" Tramadol. That implies some sort of consent.

Of course I'm not saying cyclists should be able to while racing, I'm just saying that I can understand why the rules would be different.
Precisely. These animals have no say in what is administerd to them.
Yes. They also have limited capacity to let you know if there is a problem, cannot hold discussions to indicate possible long-term effects, cannot take precautionary and emergency measures themselves and so on. If I'm honest, it should be really, really obvious why this is the case.
 
Aug 20, 2009
76
0
8,680
Hardly surprising considering what is being done to race horses.
Heck back in the day, when I was in high school I had a good friend who was diagnosed as narcoleptic. She was prescribed ritalin and something else.
Her father would take her ritalin pills and give them to his roosters before c0ck fights. Let's just say he won a lot of money.
If there is money on the line, it'll bring out the worst in humans, poor dogs.
 
papisimo98 said:
Her father would take her ritalin pills and give them to his roosters before c0ck fights. Let's just say he won a lot of money.
If there is money on the line, it'll bring out the worst in humans, poor dogs.
It's terrible that drugs are ruining the integrity of cockfights.

Your friend's father was already an appalling human being before the drugs.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS