• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping is becoming a public health issue, says WADA chief

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...ng-public-health-issue-says-wada-chief-154667

With more amateur athletes taking performance enhancing drugs, WADA director general David Howman says the issue goes further than the sport.

Performance enhancing drugs are spreading from elite sport to the school gym and becoming a public health issue, according to the head of the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA).

David Howman says more and more people are taking substances to improve their sporting performance without even understanding what is in them.

While drug testing for elite athletes is rigorous, other athletes, especially children, are endangering their health through doping, according to Howman.

Too many people are taking too many substances they don't even know, WADA director general Howman told AFP.

Where have they come from? They are not sanitised, they could be very dangerous.

As a society we would be shocked at the amount of stuff that our children are taking.

We think this is a public health issue and we are supported by the World Health Organisation and by many others who now see it's not just a sport issue.

While Howman insists WADA is trying to address the issue it does, in fact, fall outside its remit because sometimes it's not elite athletes.

But the WADA chief also acknowledged the buck doesn't stop with the athletes caught doping, but also with those supporting them, such as coaches and doctors.

We know that it's not just athletes who are the cheaters; we know that they can be coaches and trainers and lawyers and doctors and physiotherapists, a lot of people, he said.

We've been saying it's not just the athlete that's the cheat. It's the entourage.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Am I the only one getting mixed signals?

Some people like to tell us that a new clean(er) era is upon us...
That young people now know better and don't (want to) dope....

Because it ain't cool to dope anymore... And the testing works of course.
(I know we are not necessarily talking athletes under testing regime here)

So now we have WADA saying doping is becoming a public health issue when describing youngsters and children behaviour towards the issue....

How does that work out.. :confused:

Are they now doping while young, then becoming pro's -decide it ain't cool anymore and then stop doping?

Hmm...

mrhender said:

So now we have WADA saying doping is becoming a public health issue when describing youngsters and children behaviour towards the issue....

Are they now doping while young, then becoming pro's -decide it ain't cool anymore and then stop doping?

Hmm...

JV will have an answer - the survey had a machine calibration issue when collating the results.

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Actually this is a micro problem compared to the obesity epidemic which kills 300 000 Americans every year. It would therefore make a lot more sense to criminalize obesity than recreational use of doping. But of course that's not gonna happen as it's only okay to discriminate against minorities such as steroid users.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Erythropoietin said:
Actually this is a micro problem compared to the obesity epidemic which kills 300 000 Americans every year. It would therefore make a lot more sense to criminalize obesity than recreational use of doping. But of course that's not gonna happen as it's only okay to discriminate against minorities such as steroid users.

Good point. If resources are to be allocated at controlling what goes into kids without their knowing it, then refined sugar added to food where you wouldn't expect it would be a good place to start.

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
mrhender said:

They'll tell you whatever suits them at the time. It has nothing to do with "anti doping", more to do with securing funding and future paychecks.

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Erythropoietin said:

I'm all for decriminialization/ legalization of recreational drugs, but how does steroid use fall in that category? It's not like you have a good evening of fun after shooting it...

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Dr. Juice said:
I'm all for decriminialization/ legalization of recreational drugs, but how does steroid use fall in that category? It's not like you have a good evening of fun after shooting it...

Anabolic steroids are drugs. And most people use them recreationally, to get a better physique without competing in anything. I use anabolic steroids myself :)

The media has run a massive smear campaign against anabolic steroids, but it's mostly propaganda bull**** because of fair play in sports. Some AAS are indeed very toxic, but others are very mild on your health. So just stick to the mild ones, it's as simple as that. When they talk about AAS as if they are all the same, that's just like saying heroine is the same as weed, or that motorcycles are the same as bicycles.

modern

Wallace and Gromit said:
Good point. If resources are to be allocated at controlling what goes into kids without their knowing it, then refined sugar added to food where you wouldn't expect it would be a good place to start.

but sugar in food is so part of 'modern' life........producers can ramp up profit

and it's absence would not be to consumers tastes

rather like drugs.............we have drugs for everything ffs we even have

drugs to lose weight.........eating less too hard/slow

rather like drugs in sport.............competitors live in a world demanding a

quick fix.........not good for one?...but I will live forever...............

Mark L

Wider use of steroids is an issue, especially when coupled to a younger age of starting them. A high school kid is still developing their own hormone levels, playing withe extra ones is going to have long term ramifications.

Start including peptides and the like, and yes this could be a big public health issue.

Obesity and inactivity are still worse though.

mrhender said:

Hmm...

Howman is playing this exactly right. He's trying to get law enforcement involved in anti-doping. This will slow down sports federation corruption where an athlete buys/ is granted "never tested positive."

Criticizing Howman would make it clear the IOC and sports federations support doping.

Whether or not his motives are pure is another question.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Dr. Juice said:

People who want steroids will get them. It falls into the same category.
Most guys who use steroids are lifting weights.
There are serious long term health issues with steroids unlike SOME other drugs even if you stop the damage is done and can catch up with you in later life. Its happened to quite a few known body builders

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
ray j willings said:
There are serious long term health issues with steroids unlike SOME other drugs even if you stop the damage is done and can catch up with you in later life. Its happened to quite a few known body builders

Can you be more specific? Issues like reduced testosterone production or reduced fertility are actually non-issues, as you can just use synthetic testosterone and HCG to combat that if it occurs. So what are these "serious" issues you are talking about?

Erythropoietin said:
Can you be more specific? Issues like reduced testosterone production or reduced fertility are actually non-issues, as you can just use synthetic testosterone and HCG to combat that if it occurs. So what are these "serious" issues you are talking about?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/cycling/2013/03/01/doping-scandal-haunts-tammy-thomas/1958053/

Physically, she's weaker than her elderly parents because of her body's deterioration from long-term doping, even though she says she hasn't used performance-enhancing drugs in more than a decade. She faces even graver steroid-induced health effects as she ages.

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/10709728/tiger-woods-injury-line

Oh, I know. That's not you. You would never use that much, blah, blah, blah.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Erythropoietin said:

lol Big Pharma must love to hear this. Just hop on board the train and what we destroy we have another pill to cure and so on and so on ...

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Nick C. said:
lol Big Pharma must love to hear this. Just hop on board the train and what we destroy we have another pill to cure and so on and so on ...

Who gives a **** if testosterone production potentially drops from steroid use? That happens as you age anyway! So even those who have never touched anabolics will benefit from testosterone replacement therapy when they pass 40. It's a non-issue.

DirtyWorks said:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/cycling/2013/03/01/doping-scandal-haunts-tammy-thomas/1958053/

Physically, she's weaker than her elderly parents because of her body's deterioration from long-term doping, even though she says she hasn't used performance-enhancing drugs in more than a decade. She faces even graver steroid-induced health effects as she ages.

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/10709728/tiger-woods-injury-line

Oh, I know. That's not you. You would never use that much, blah, blah, blah.

That article is too long, so I'm not gonna bother reading it. When such anecdotes actually prove anything, it's usually that the user was a moron.

Erythropoietin said:
Who gives a **** if testosterone production potentially drops from steroid use? That happens as you age anyway! So even those who have never touched anabolics will benefit from testosterone replacement therapy when they pass 40. It's a non-issue.

Personally I do.
Mine may decline, but will do so slower and less significantly.

The benefits of TRT in most cases are dramatically overstated for the general population (and the cardiac etc risks downplayed)

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Catwhoorg said:
Personally I do.
Mine may decline, but will do so slower and less significantly.

The benefits of TRT in most cases are dramatically overstated for the general population (and the cardiac etc risks downplayed)

Cardiac risks, wut? Don't believe everything you read in the newspapers... TRT doses are low. It's just to give you the same testosterone levels you had at 25 years old. If you think that is dangerous, then why aren't bodybuilders dropping dead all over the place? They use doses more than 20 times as high.

Benefits from TRT include better mood, energy, endurance, sex drive, bone mineral content, strength, muscle mass, bodyfat percentage, lipid profile, muscle insulin sensitivity and so on.

See what happens to FT (free testosterone) as you age. The levels are highest in your late teens, but that's not included in this chart. Enjoy letting your bodies rot and being impotent at 60 years old, but personally I have started TRT already.

testdropimage.jpg

Erythropoietin said:
Benefits from TRT include better mood, energy, endurance, sex drive, bone mineral content, strength, muscle mass, bodyfat percentage, lipid profile, muscle insulin sensitivity and so on.

Most of those are boosted through exercise anyway.

There is a distinct lack of good data on again in very active individuals. One thing is clear form what data there is out there, the difference is night and day.

What the leading cause of impotence in 60 year old guys ? 60 year old women...
(OK mods that maybe over the line, please delete if too inappropriate)

You didn't stop working out because you got old, you get old because you stop working out.

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Erythropoietin said:

That article is too long, so I'm not gonna bother reading it. When such anecdotes actually prove anything, it's usually that the user was a moron.

You are the most expert Troll on these forums. Either that, or the years of drug abuse have deteriorated your ability to reason...

Erythropoietin said:

That's a stupid comment. There is a reason for the obesity epidemic, and it has a lot to do with what companies are allowed to put in food, including massive amounts of sugar.

If you're going to criminalize something, criminalize the additives and treat sugar the same way we treat alcohol and tobacco.

Erythropoietin said:

Yes!! Fearless doper! Rrrowww!

Erythropoietin said:

How dare I present facts to challenge your faith in PED's!

Ignored.

TRENDING THREADS