Doping Locally - Success on the Small Scale?

jimmypop

BANNED
Jul 16, 2010
376
1
0
Sort of an aside from the usual banter, but I take a keener, more skeptical look at the local shop-ride heroes these days. You know - the guys who always smash everyone on local rides and semi-important local races but who always seem to be too busy to compete in the events where there's any testing - no matter how limited.

I was too naive for a number of years, but now I speculate that at least a few of the local big fish were ordering their goods from a pharmacist, who himself was also likely growing his massive jambes with a little chemical help.

A bit of sour grapes, I guess, but these fools deserve a special kick in the groin for needing to boost their egos at the local level through PED use.

Is anyone else more skeptical of their geographical contemporaries?
 
Feb 4, 2010
548
0
0
Such a discussion will only be worthwhile if you include discussions about the suspected riders love life, personality traits, business dealings, parenting skills and choice of color of socks. Otherwise why bother?
 
At this stage of the game there should be no guesswork involved.

HgH and testosterone abuse is easily apparent in guys who are in an age-inappropriate bracket to be hitting an athletic renaissance.

Now if you're asking what pipelines they are utilizing to get their drugs, that's a different question and it all depends on what part of the country you live in.
 
Mar 18, 2009
14,634
1
0
Berzin said:
At this stage of the game there should be no guesswork involved.

HgH and testosterone abuse is easily apparent in guys who are in an age-inappropriate bracket to be hitting an athletic renaissance.
Take a forty-five year old, have him religiously follow a good 15 - 20 hour a week training program along with a good diet, and in a year he'll be as hard a nails. You will not be able to tell the difference between him and another bozo who using a half-assed training program while slapping testosterone gel on his chest.
 
May 13, 2009
3,093
0
0
BroDeal said:
Take a forty-five year old, have him religiously follow a good 15 - 20 hour a week training program along with a good diet, and in a year he'll be as hard a nails. You will not be able to tell the difference between him and another bozo who using a half-assed training program while slapping testosterone gel on his chest.
Check their nuts. ;) One pair looks more like raisins. :D
 
Jun 16, 2009
860
0
0
PotentialPro said:
If I win the sprint at Ontario in the 40+, will I be called a doper now?
Yes.
please swing off and take the next 20 riders with you,
then i will take the V and the world will be a much better place
for me :D
 
BroDeal said:
Take a forty-five year old, have him religiously follow a good 15 - 20 hour a week training program along with a good diet, and in a year he'll be as hard a nails. You will not be able to tell the difference between him and another bozo who using a half-assed training program while slapping testosterone gel on his chest.
This comment is so ridiculous I don't even know where to begin.

But you know what-I'll let you marinate in your own ignorance.

It's not up to me to burst people's fantasies. If you want to believe this go right ahead.

It doesn't make a difference in my life one way or another, but it does show how monumentally gullible and deluded some people are.
 
Aug 4, 2009
1,056
0
0
Berzin said:
This comment is so ridiculous I don't even know where to begin.

But you know what-I'll let you marinate in your own ignorance.

It's not up to me to burst people's fantasies. If you want to believe this go right ahead.

It doesn't make a difference in my life one way or another, but it does show how monumentally gullible and deluded some people are.
Well spoken
to start off with who at 45yo can afford more than 8 hours a week on the bike its work or bust only training is after work and weekend while trying to fit in family mow lawns general houshold duties to name a few.

Then rubbing testosterone gel on his chest wont do anything except maybe keep up with his missus. dosnt do anything for cycling.
As you stated marinate in own ignorance then some people live off the government.
 
May 6, 2009
8,524
0
0
Aside from ordering from the internet, I would have no idea on how to get hold of any PEDs, and I sure as hell know a lot of people here on the Gold Coast. I don't know if anybody is doping, there are no ET performances that I've seen. And frankly if they were, it would be rather pointless.
 
Jun 16, 2009
1,421
0
0
craig1985 said:
Aside from ordering from the internet, I would have no idea on how to get hold of any PEDs, and I sure as hell know a lot of people here on the Gold Coast. I don't know if anybody is doping, there are no ET performances that I've seen. And frankly if they were, it would be rather pointless.
I know from experience that there used to be a fair amount of PED abuse on the Gold Coast, steroids and GH being the favourites. Can't imagine it has changed much now. I remember watching one of the B grade races at the Burleigh Worlds - practically steam coming out of nostrils at the finish as a line of overweight yuppies sprinted in the 11 sprocket!
 
May 6, 2009
8,524
0
0
bobbins said:
I know from experience that there used to be a fair amount of PED abuse on the Gold Coast, steroids and GH being the favourites. Can't imagine it has changed much now. I remember watching one of the B grade races at the Burleigh Worlds - practically steam coming out of nostrils at the finish as a line of overweight yuppies sprinted in the 11 sprocket!
I've raced at Burleigh Worlds, and I'm glad that the place lost it's permit. It never suited me anyway. How long ago was this?
 
craig1985 said:
Aside from ordering from the internet, I would have no idea on how to get hold of any PEDs, and I sure as hell know a lot of people here on the Gold Coast.
PED's are like anything else that's illegal or extra-legal. If you're not looking for them you're not going to know how to get them.

Also, keep in mind that many racers don't care to let their friends/peers know what they're doing because...


1) They want to perpetuate the myth that aging yuppies like themselves can experience athletic performance peaks that rival or out-do anything they could have possibly done in their late teens to early twenties through sheer hard work (American Puritanical self-delusion that dictates anything is possible if you just work hard enough) and...

2) Users don't want to lose their competitive edge by telling others they use.

I can't believe some of you guys are so naive.

The other point, and I've made it a few times before but it apparently needs re-stating, is that yuppies don't really come from an athletically gifted gene pool. This is not where America's best athletes come from. So why would anyone believe that cycling is the only sport where these guys hit maximum athletic capacity only when they become master's racers? What a physiological oddity these yuppies are...
 
Jun 16, 2009
1,421
0
0
craig1985 said:
I've raced at Burleigh Worlds, and I'm glad that the place lost it's permit. It never suited me anyway. How long ago was this?
Mid 90s. Was a half decent circuit, A grade was usually a pretty good workout to end the week on. I'd say that PED abuse is more common amongst the new comers who thing that cycling should be easier than it is and are always looking for a shortcut.
 
May 6, 2009
8,524
0
0
Berzin said:
PED's are like anything else that's illegal or extra-legal. If you're not looking for them you're not going to know how to get them.

Also, keep in mind that many racers don't care to let their friends/peers know what they're doing because...


1) They want to perpetuate the myth that aging yuppies like themselves can experience athletic performance peaks that rival or out-do anything they could have possibly done in their late teens to early twenties through sheer hard work (American Puritanical self-delusion that dictates anything is possible if you just work hard enough) and...

2) Users don't want to lose their competitive edge by telling others they use.

I can't believe some of you guys are so naive.

The other point, and I've made it a few times before but it apparently needs re-stating, is that yuppies don't really come from an athletically gifted gene pool. This is not where America's best athletes come from. So why would anyone believe that cycling is the only sport where these guys hit maximum athletic capacity only when they become master's racers? What a physiological oddity these yuppies are...
Well I know all my performances are all 100% natural, but then again I'm still 25. Actually I do take my comment back, in our local C grade races, there is a bloke in his mid-70's, who is originally from Austria (has lived here more then 25-30 years IIRC), and goes back to Austria in our winter, and got busted for taking PEDs over in Austria. I've never been tested BTW, but then again I'm not at the level where they would worry about me.
 
May 26, 2010
28,144
2
0
BroDeal said:
Take a forty-five year old, have him religiously follow a good 15 - 20 hour a week training program along with a good diet, and in a year he'll be as hard a nails. You will not be able to tell the difference between him and another bozo who using a half-assed training program while slapping testosterone gel on his chest.
there is hope then......:eek:
 
Mar 18, 2009
14,634
1
0
Berzin said:
1) They want to perpetuate the myth that aging yuppies like themselves can experience athletic performance peaks that rival or out-do anything they could have possibly done in their late teens to early twenties through sheer hard work (American Puritanical self-delusion that dictates anything is possible if you just work hard enough) and...
...
The other point, and I've made it a few times before but it apparently needs re-stating, is that yuppies don't really come from an athletically gifted gene pool. This is not where America's best athletes come from. So why would anyone believe that cycling is the only sport where these guys hit maximum athletic capacity only when they become master's racers? What a physiological oddity these yuppies are...
Anybody who is slower than you is weak, and anybody who is faster is on da dope. :rolleyes:

While I have no doubt that many Masters aged athletes are getting some extra help, don't overblow the problem so that you see dopers hiding in every BMW. At the local amateur level there is a huge variation in athletic talent. Most results come from the amount of time people can devote to training and the effectiveness of that training. There are a lot of guys who have twenty years of training experience and are wicked fast. No dope required.

As far as middle aged people not being capable of being in better shape than they were in their teens or twenties, go race an Ironman distance tri sometime. That whole freakin' sport is filled with yuppies who train twenty hours a week and are in better shape at forty than they were at twenty.

And a lot of yuppies were the type A personality jackass jocks in high school who went on to have decent careers and at middle age have lots of free time to devote to their hobbies. The whole personal coaching industry is supported by people like that.
 
Jun 19, 2009
5,220
0
0
Berzin said:
This comment is so ridiculous I don't even know where to begin.

But you know what-I'll let you marinate in your own ignorance.

It's not up to me to burst people's fantasies. If you want to believe this go right ahead.

It doesn't make a difference in my life one way or another, but it does show how monumentally gullible and deluded some people are.
I think Bro was assuming a talented athelete could follow a good training regime and hit a good level. You're not going to go anywhere beyond natural genetic limits without "help". Your excessive response suggests you need to spend more time considering the possibilities that a 60 year old can hang with younger riders if he's taken care of his health. Not that it's a practical reality or one you care about; just consider it.
 
Oct 25, 2010
3,049
2
0
BroDeal said:
Take a forty-five year old, have him religiously follow a good 15 - 20 hour a week training program along with a good diet, and in a year he'll be as hard a nails. You will not be able to tell the difference between him and another bozo who using a half-assed training program while slapping testosterone gel on his chest.
And now imagine a peloton filled with these 45-year-old "hard as nails bozos" and imagine one (or more) of them suddenly being able to time-trial away from everyone while they (the peloton) are riding at (or slightly over) LT. That's the stuff I was was used to seeing at my local race series.

When I was younger and riding against the best local talent, guys came quick from the lower categories, got into ours, won, and then kept progressing forward. The guy who you'd known for years didn't suddenly get phenomenally better and just start killing everyone. But that happens now. It does.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS