• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dutch Federation Slams UCI!

Yep, I think this and other members of the mgm meeting really shook things up.

I agree with a lot of whats in this letter, though this part made me raise my eyebrowes:

1. Let this committee bring out all the facts and findings (‘truth’) from 2007 till the present, exposing the system, its culture and how the system operates, show what progress has already been made, and also where the system fails.

Not adequate in my mind. They need to go back to the start of the EPO era and perhaps a bit earlier too, in order to see how and why this wonder drug remained ignored by the UCI for so long.

Also, I find 2007 as a strange year to start. AFAIK 2007 saw a number of reforms in antidoping. What happened before that was a joke apearently.

I think the Norwegian Anti doping agency used before and after 2007 as the point where the UCI's work became credible.

Could there be something that happened before 2007 that the Dutch federation doesn't want to be reminded of?

ToreBear said:
Yep, I think this and other members of the mgm meeting really shook things up.

I agree with a lot of whats in this letter, though this part made me raise my eyebrowes:

Not adequate in my mind. They need to go back to the start of the EPO era and perhaps a bit earlier too, in order to see how and why this wonder drug remained ignored by the UCI for so long.

Also, I find 2007 as a strange year to start. AFAIK 2007 saw a number of reforms in antidoping. What happened before that was a joke apearently.

I think the Norwegian Anti doping agency used before and after 2007 as the point where the UCI's work became credible.

Could there be something that happened before 2007 that the Dutch federation doesn't want to be reminded of?

The fact that Verbruggen is Dutch? The head of the Dutch cycling federation explained their stance on TV and radio and he, at times awkwardly, avoided the name of Verbruggen, which was a pity because other than that he was saying all the right things.

Arnout said:
The fact that Verbruggen is Dutch? The head of the Dutch cycling federation explained their stance on TV and radio and he, at times awkwardly, avoided the name of Verbruggen, which was a pity because other than that he was saying all the right things.

“I've buried all the hatchets. But I know where I've buried them and I can dig them up again if necessary.” Harold Wilson

Hein knows where the hatchets are buried and I am sure that everyone in cycling has skeleton's in their closets which is why no one wants to look too closely at the past.

A good illustration of this was during the revolution in 1989 in Romania, Ceaușescu was put on summary trial. At one point one of his unseen accusers asks him if he sanctioned a particular action. To which Ceaușescu replies:

'Yes, and you should know because you were at the meeting and agreed with it.'

We're asking people who are in place thanks to McQuaid and Verdruggan to now turn on them, while knowing that they know that McQuaid and Verdruggan probably have dirt on them.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
. . .
We're asking people who are in place thanks to McQuaid and Verdruggan to now turn on them, while knowing that they know that McQuaid and Verdruggan probably have dirt on them.

Yes, that's right. We are asking those people to turn on them. And because they are who they are, whether they be Dutch or American or purple and blue, we will need to keep an eye on progress, lest it be pro-forma.

But without we get them to turn, we will get nowhere. Unless you want to call Lemond tomorrow and the two of you cook up a reasonable alternative to USACycling. One that will succeed. I look forward to your press conference.

That would take care of one country. Then what do you propose for the Netherlands? Who shall we get there?

Btw - if Lemond DOES back an alternative, he will get my support.

Arnout said:
Not strictly true. The UCI has in no way a say in the appointment of the manager of the Dutch cycling federation.

Do you think Uncle Hein has no influence within the Dutch Fed or won't have interacted with people in the past.

You know the saying 'be nice to people on the way up because you'll need them on your way down'

Mrs John Murphy said:
Do you think Uncle Hein has no influence within the Dutch Fed or won't have interacted with people in the past.

You know the saying 'be nice to people on the way up because you'll need them on your way down'

That's what I implied with not talking about Verbruggen, but that has nothing to do with the UCI so won't hold for other countries except Ireland.

I'm agreeing with you.

I think that Verbruggan's and McQuaid's influence stretches a lot further than Ireland and Holland. It has long been argued that the desire to 'globalise' the sport was really about McQuaid etc trying to ensure support from federations outside europe.

Do keep in mind Rabobank is suppose to be clean 2007 onwards also. We Dutchies don't care about any other team. KNWU and Rabo share the same, national, colors.
Boogerd has been quite vocal about the reconsiliation thing. I cannot bear the sight or word of him since he declined from appearing as a witness in Austria, and won't check when exactly he retired or actually went clean, but I can guess...

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
the boss of the knwu is a political appointment and he infact ran for leadership of one of the main political partys just a few months ago. His main job is running a group of schools. The knwu thing is just an extra boardfunction. Almost all politicians have between 3-20 extra board / commisionor functions.

The reason why the KNWU is so vocal is that they have to step up to the plate as Rabobank apart from sponsering the men's WT and womens professional teams is the main sponser of both KNWU, every amateur cycling club, every race in the netherlands be it on the road, track, crosscycling, bmx etc etc.

So when the main sponsor is ****ed of it is not a question of jumping, but how high should i jump. Not to mention that rabobank as the 2nd bank in the netherlands and the number 1 morgage bank has more than enough political clout.

2007 is of course the year of the rasmussen debacle. no need to dig that up anymore as it and the years leading up to it have allready been overanalysed....

it's no different really than the UCI's own powermongering