• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders EF Pro Cycling

Page 49 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Carthy had one bad day (stage 13), Dombrowski had one bad day (stage 12) and Kangert had one bad day (stage 15). All 3 could've been in contention for top10 overall otherwise. It must be quite unusual to have three riders being strong all throughout the race with each of them having exactly one bad day.

EF was probably my team for the Giro, Movistar not withstanding. Of course it helps that my expectations were not high going into the race so they had more room to impress me.

Carthy was excellent, and I was just as impressed with Dombrowski considering that we have heard about his talent for years, but usually he sits up on stages he wasn't contesting in the past. Nice to see him show that he could ride a GC race when he tries.

Anderis said:
Carthy had one bad day (stage 13), Dombrowski had one bad day (stage 12) and Kangert had one bad day (stage 15). All 3 could've been in contention for top10 overall otherwise. It must be quite unusual to have three riders being strong all throughout the race with each of them having exactly one bad day.
That was my problem, one bad day...race day! :lol:

I agree with you, ECD has potential, the three you listed, plus several others.

I wonder what Tejay's plan (their plan for him) is in July? Let's see how tomorrow goes first I guess...

EDIT: I'll leave my original post but clarify that Tejay isn't one of the 'others' I was referring to in the 'has potential' sentence, but focused correctly, he could still pop something off here or there.

Re:

Escarabajo said:
I don't understand why Uran is not on the Switzerland start list for EF?
He may be just doing La Route d'Occitanie, which worked well for him as a TdF preparation in 2017. Of course this year is different since he raced so little because of his P-N injury.

EDIT: I've just checked and it turns out that Uran has been avoiding both TdS and Dauphine since 2011! He must have a reason then.

The GCW said:
Impressive raid WIN to finish TdSwiss: Hope Hugh Carthy is up for the Tour d France.

I'm pretty sure he won't be at the TdF, given he rode the Giro and talked about this stage at Suisse being his last before his holidays!
Perhaps we'll see him back at the Vuelta? It's been a very impressive step forwards from him this year...

Re:

Leinster said:
Craddock DNS on Sunday, though. It may mean nothing, but it’s not ideal prep. His spot may be vulnerable.
Craddock should be fine unless he got severly sick or something. His form has been ok. They'll want him for TTT and all-around domestique. Bettiol and Woods also DNSed the last Dauphine stage so I see a pattern here.

Carthy of course won't ride as he rode Catalunya, Itzulia, Romandie, Giro and TdS. Nobody does TdF after such a marathon. It bodes well for Hugh to have enough endurance to still have good legs for such an epic stage win on the last day of this chain of races.

Uran, TJvG and Woods are certain unless they have health problems
It' hard to imagine Bettiol will not ride after such a great spring and his Dauphine level was decent as well. He has an excellent skillset for a domestique, especially with the TTT
Clarke is Uran's favourite domestique and had a great spring as well. Should be in too
Craddock should go as well. They like taking him for TdF and he has a good skillset for a domestique with TTT.
And since there are not many climbing options left, there's between Vanmarcke, Langeveld, Phinney and Scully to round up the team for flat terrain support and additional TT power. And I personally hope it's not Phinney as his performances this year don't justify that spot.
I guess Dani Martinez will not manage to recover. We might see Kangert instead as he didn't race anyting after Giro so he might be saving legs to replace Dani. Especially considering the fact his first spring wasn't too heavy on the race days as well.

Probably one of the guys I don't expect will ride as it happens pretty much every year. :lol:

The team talked up Phinney’s contribution at California big time. He rode so hard to set the team up, that he ended up blowing his doors off and finished otl. There are 2 ways that can be looked at. But I agree, he’s definitely not the Phinney that finished top 10 in Roubaix.

Re: Re:

Leinster said:
King Boonen said:
I see Lachlan is currently tearing the GBDuro field a new one:

https://www.theracingcollective.com/gbduro.html#
Put him down for the Tour! (If he can race all stages back to back, non-stop unsupported).

Not non-stop, takes an enduro format so stages are timed but clock stops between them. Not sure how long is allowed to to complete the whole thing but I feel this just highlights the difference between pros and the best amateurs.

Escarabajo said:
The GCW said:
Impressive raid WIN to finish TdSwiss: Hope Hugh Carthy is up for the Tour d France.
No way they take him to the Tour.
Him and Dombrowski just finished their last races for the first part of the year. They were both really in good shape but they would be dead by the end of the Tour.

Dombrowski looked really good on the penultimate stage of La Route d'Occitanie.

Vuelta for both?

Re: Re:

Leinster said:
King Boonen said:
Absolute destruction of the amateur field by Lachlan Morton. Ever wondered what the difference between a pro and you is? Have a look:

https://www.theracingcollective.com/gbduro.html
That’s not the difference between a pro and me. That’s the difference between a pro and people who are in shape and have trained specifically for such an event.
You’d be surprised. These events attract a lot of “bucket-list” type entries.

Every single competent pro in decent form can help better.

Show me an example from the past that a rider did Tour de France after racing and finishing Catalunya, Itzulia, Romandie, Giro and Tour de Suisse (technically he didn't finish Catalunya but DNF-ed on the last stage so it's not like he saved much energy there).

There's a reason riders don't do that. By 2nd week of TdF Carthy would be most likely so tired that all he could do would be to hang onto the groupetto. He already had a crisis during TdS. Finished 94th on St Gotthard stage. He wasn't saving legs for a stage win, he just didn't have it, as he admitted himself. You may as well take a rider who'll do the same in the mountains but at least provide better support on the flat stages. With 2 spots to fill I assume you're referring to the PCS startlist. Clarke, Langeveld or Vanmarcke should be definetely more useful than overrraced Carthy.

Vuelta selection for EF might be interesting.

Uran, Van Garderen and Woods all might have enough steam left to want to go to Vuelta. Martinez should come back from injury and ride. And then I've read on this forum that the are plans to take Higuita as well. Then some of the Giro guys will be resting now in July and perhaps ready to go. And there will be some guys who were left for both Giro and TdF but could use to ride a GT. Will be interesting to see who they'll take and who they'll omit in their Vuelta roster.