Effects of coronavirus on professional races

Page 102 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Did they ever? Surely the pre-race testing - and mid-race testing for GTs - is organised, and paid for, by race organisers and UCI. Otherwise, the whole system could fall apart.
No it's been paid for by the teams. At least that's been my understanding from following the manager of Team Hitec, Karl Lima, on Twitter.

Question no. 11 in this FAQ also deals with the costs of the protocol:

Last edited:
I hope that unless the virus takes a turn for the worse this is the last year with rigid covid protocols and tests everywhere because given how contagious omicron is, I fear that we will have some bad surprises especially during GTs unless the rules are changed during the season which I personally don't believe in.

Reactions: yaco
No it's been paid for by the teams. At least that's been my understanding from following the manager of Team Hitec, Karl Lima, on Twitter.

Question no. 11 in this FAQ also deals with the costs of the protocol:
It's also my understanding that teams incur costs for pre-race PCR tests - My guess is that the organizers pay for in-race testting.

Regarding the Olympic games. I now often read on how someone from Slovenian national team tested positive for coronavirus. And hence their participation is under a threat.

Likely something similar will happen in "early season" when it comes to cycling. After that lets hope for the situation to finally improve substantially.

Vos out of P-R due to COVID. I wonder when the UCI/race organizers/countries will treat a COVID+ like they treat other respiratory illnesses? IMO, not yet, but I still have to wonder...
the UCI sends out monthly updates or so. The latest (from end of March) said:

"Although many countries are gradually lifting (or have already lifted) the measures put in place to limit the risk of contamination for the general population, it is advisable to maintain, at least temporarily, the protocols put in place by the UCI as of 2020. [...] Our objectives are [...] to prevent the contamination of riders and the possible consequences of residual fatigue that would have a negative impact on sporting performance. And if we look at the current risk of contamination in Europe, we remain in a critical situation. This is why I would like to draw your attention to the strict maintenance of the rules of prevention as defined in our protocol, in order to avoid the multiplication of contaminations within the teams."

Currently pre-race testing is not mandatory for one-day races, though (unless the rider is not vaccinated).

Reactions: noob and jmdirt

ASK THE COMMUNITY