• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Emerging Riders CQ Game

I had been toying with an idea for an emerging riders CQ game last year when I became aware of MC Mountain's Youth CQ game.

But rather than ditch my idea altogether, I've adjusted it, I hope sufficiently that it complements rather than competes with other games.

The big difference is that it is a longer term competition: your riders' scores will be cumulative over 2014-2016. Many of us have now done these games for some years: now let's try one that lasts some years. I would envision posting scores monthly.

An emerging rider, for the purposes of this game, is anyone with a lifetime CQ total of less than 200 points as at the end of 2013: they can be any age. There is a budget per rider, but no team budget as such (you can't spend on one rider what you save on another).

A rider's home page at CQ shows yearly totals: whether the total is more than 200 should be fairly evident (Example: Dylan van Baarle is out of the game). If you send me any ineligible riders, I'll let you know.

Your team should have 18 riders (so you might not even need to research a different list from your Youth CQ game, simply check their totals and retain 3 more of your shortlist for a quick team).

The main CQ game will (quite rightly) be uppermost in people's thoughts, and so I'll delay the closing date until the end of January: in a three year game, scores from one month won't make that bid a difference. Teams to me by PM.

Teams in as of 30 January:
Afrank
Al Pacino
Armchair Cyclist
asdfgh101
Bellsax
Blackbandit222
Comodoro
Dazed and Confused
Del1962
Geraint Too Fast
Hilltop Finisher
Il Pirata
Ingsve
Italian Gigolo
Jakob747
Josedin
Just Some Guy
Karaev
Kazistuta
Leadbelly
Ludwigzgz
Madrazo
Manafana
MC Mountain
Mellow Velo
Mutschi
NairoQ
Oliveira
Ray200
Rote Laterne
Ruudz0r
Search
The Fool on the Hill
Vladimir
(34 teams so far: 1 day and about 2 hours to go)

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I like this idea very much. Sounds like it'll be fun to create a team for it, and will give us some riders to watch and follow over multiple years. Count me in.

If this game had just come to the end of a 3 year cycle (and had started at the same time as the first main game), it would have been possible to score 25730 if you'd had the good fortune to select

Quintana
Kittel
Demare
Bouhanni
Kwiatkowski*
Betancur
Majka
Talansky
Bardet
Kelderman
Vichot
Slagter
Dumoulin
Izagirre
Debusschere
Durbridge*
Dennis
Dowsett*

you could probably have improved on that if you managed to predict the career of any of the following.

Martinez
Coquard
Zoidl
Arrendondo
Nizzolo
Hofland
Chernetskiy
Bongiorno
Herrada
Mezgec
Jungels
Moser
Landa

Whoa, this is a great idea. I like how this and the youth game have added to and enriched the idea of the CQ game, rather than diluted it.

Just wondering if your plan is to run one game for 3 years, or to run a game over a rolling 3-year period, starting every year. You know what I mean? Like, at the end of 2014 we pick riders from 2015-2017 etc. I'm just thinking if my riders are terrible and don't pan out, I might check out of the game after a year and have to wait 2 more years to get excited about it again.

skidmark said:
Whoa, this is a great idea. I like how this and the youth game have added to and enriched the idea of the CQ game, rather than diluted it.

Just wondering if your plan is to run one game for 3 years, or to run a game over a rolling 3-year period, starting every year. You know what I mean? Like, at the end of 2014 we pick riders from 2015-2017 etc. I'm just thinking if my riders are terrible and don't pan out, I might check out of the game after a year and have to wait 2 more years to get excited about it again.

Let's wait and see how this year goes, but in principle I have no objection to multiple ongoing games. I don't see it being too time consuming (I think I thought that about the GT games...)

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm really excited about this game. I alwayds like to read some things about neo-pros and young talents but this game made me do some more research and find out some really itersting things. One of the greatest ideea I've seen on this forum in a long time.

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Possible idea for next year

TEAM LEADERS

2 riders: No budget but must have been eligible to ride U23 WC last season

FREE ROLE/SUPER DOMESTIQUES

10 riders: No more than 200 CQ points scored lifetime

GREGARIOS

5 riders: No more than 100 CQ points scored lifetime

WILD CARD

1 rider: No more than 20 CQ points scored lifetime, contracted to ride next season no higher than continental level.

asdfgh101 said:

TEAM LEADERS

GREGARIOS

WILD CARD

1 rider: No more than 20 CQ points scored lifetime, contracted to ride next season no higher than continental level.

the challenge you have there is having to check each entry fits all these separate criteria as from experience you will get approx 10-25% of initial entries being wrong in some way (would estimate it was about 15% for the youth game with 2 basic criteria). might be possible to do as 20-25 player game?

asdfgh101 said:

TEAM LEADERS

GREGARIOS

WILD CARD

Let's wait and see how this year's settles down first (and even then it wil only be 33% of the way through) before making it radically more difficult to compile and verify teams.

At present, the only difference I find myself wondering "It might have been better if" is around allowing more riders: there are so many riders cropping up with high frequency (one with a 100% selection rate) that essentially it is going to be about half the team that will discriminate between winners and those tailed off.

Armchair cyclist said:
Let's wait and see how this year's settles down first (and even then it wil only be 33% of the way through) before making it radically more difficult to compile and verify teams.

At present, the only difference I find myself wondering "It might have been better if" is around allowing more riders: there are so many riders cropping up with high frequency (one with a 100% selection rate) that essentially it is going to be about half the team that will discriminate between winners and those tailed off.

im not sure that's a massive issue - the chances are at least 1 or 2 of the really popular choices will turn out to be a bust (giving someone who hasnt picked them a slight advantage). Do you mean you would have preferred to reduce or expand the roster, as to my eyes it could read either way. i think expanding the roster would result in more commonality?

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Agreed, expansion makes it more of a crapshoot.

My idea was so that the game would be fought on several levels rather than be a battle of more obcure riders who massively exceed expectations (as all the 'big names' would be almost omnipresent).

TRENDING THREADS