• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Euro 2012

Separate thread for the UEFA European Football Championship 2012 in Poland and Ukraine.

500px-UEFA_Euro_2012_pol.png

Friday 8 June 2012
#1: POL v GRE, 18.00CET, Warsaw
#2: RUS v CZE, 20.45CET, Wroclaw

Saturday 9 June 2012
#3: NED v DEN, 18.00CET, Kharkiv
#4: GER v POR, 20.45CET, Lviv

Sunday 10 June 2012
#5: ESP v ITA, 18.00CET, Gdansk
#6: IRL v CRO, 20.45CET, Poznan

Monday 11 June 2012
#7: FRA v ENG, 18.00CET, Donetsk
#8: UKR v SWE, 20.45CET, Kyiv

Tuesday 12 June 2012
#9: GRE v CZE, 18.00CET, Wroclaw
#10: POL v RUS, 20.45CET, Warsaw

Wednesday 13 June 2012
#11: DEN v POR, 18.00CET, Lviv
#12: NED v GER, 20.45CET, Kharkiv

Thursday 14 June 2012
#13: ITA v CRO, 18.00CET, Poznan
#14: ESP v IRL, 20.45CET, Gdansk

Friday 15 June 2012
#15: SWE v ENG, 20.45CET, Kyiv
#16: UKR v FRA, 18.00CET, Donetsk

Saturday 16 June 2012
#17: CZE v POL, 20.45CET, Wroclaw
#18: GRE v RUS, 20.45CET, Warsaw

Sunday 17 June 2012
#19: POR v NED, 20.45CET, Kharkiv
#20: DEN v GER, 20.45CET, Lviv

Monday 18 June 2012
#21: CRO v ESP, 20.45CET, Gdansk
#22: ITA v IRL, 20.45CET, Poznan

Tuesday 19 June 2012
#23: ENG v UKR, 20.45CET, Donetsk
#24: SWE v FRA, 20.45CET, Kyiv

Thursday 21 June 2012
#25: 1A v 2B, 20.45CET, Warsaw

Friday 22 June 2012
#26: 1B v 2A, 20.45CET, Gdansk

Saturday 23 June 2012
#27: 1C v 2D, 20.45CET, Donetsk

Sunday 24 June 2012
#28: 1D v 2C, 20.45CET, Kyiv

Wednesday 27 June 2012
#29: W#25 v W#27, 20.45CET, Donetsk

Thursday 28 June 2012
#30: W#26 v W#28, 20.45CET, Warsaw

Sunday 1 July 2012
#31: W#29 v W#30, 20.45CET, Kyiv

Looking forward to this! I'll probably watch every match :eek:

Caruut said:

This is a bit offensive though. A Polish news discussion show i watched yesterday contacted both cambell and bbc with responses and got blanked. of course. Its a documentary, there to shock and get the bbc some viewers.

A Black Polish member of parlimaent, who moved from Nigeria decades back (when racism was worse) was insulted by everything that campbell said and explained at lentgh how innacurate a portrayal of poland it is.

And exactly on what expertise is a footballer - footballers being well known to be amongs the dumbest people on earth, sitting 2000 kilometers away watching 5 mins of a sensationalised documentary, making these claims?

Polish top level football matches barely manage 10 000 fans. Most stadiums only have stands on 2 sides. This includes the handful of ultras who take up small sections shout racist crap and want a fight. These are small matches no one cares about, and in no way representative of the average fan yet alone the country,

And on the basis of some sensationalised footage from this, ethnic minorities who travel to matches that are not going to involve poland, have barely any polish fans, have security up the *** and cost an arm and a leg to get into, are risking their lives?

Thanks for the insight sol:rolleyes:

Ukraine may be worse, I don't know, but neither does he.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
This is a bit offensive though. A Polish news discussion show i watched yesterday contacted both cambell and bbc with responses and got blanked. of course. Its a documentary, there to shock and get the bbc some viewers.

A Black Polish member of parlimaent, who moved from Nigeria decades back (when racism was worse) was insulted by everything that campbell said and explained at lentgh how innacurate a portrayal of poland it is.

And exactly on what expertise is a footballer - footballers being well known to be amongs the dumbest people on earth, sitting 2000 kilometers away watching 5 mins of a sensationalised documentary, making these claims?

Polish top level football matches barely manage 10 000 fans. Most stadiums only have stands on 2 sides. This includes the handful of ultras who take up small sections shout racist crap and want a fight. These are small matches no one cares about, and in no way representative of the average fan yet alone the country,

And on the basis of some sensationalised footage from this, ethnic minorities who travel to matches that are not going to involve poland, have barely any polish fans, have security up the *** and cost an arm and a leg to get into, are risking their lives?

Thanks for the insight sol:rolleyes:

Ukraine may be worse, I don't know, but neither does he.

The program was about the Ukraine, though. How exactly did those Nazi salutes come across to you?

I wouldn't have thought Polish football was as racist - you had Olisadebe as a striker for a while, didn't you?

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
So everyone seems to be tipping Germany for the win, but after bayern's loss in CL final I'm not so sure they will win (its a pretty similar team). Netherlands has a strong offense but the other powerhouse teams will probably be able to shred their defense. All the teams that play spain will just do what chelsea did against barca and "park the bus" and play with a 10 man defense. Well those are the 3 favorites I think France can actually do really well in this tournament as they don't really have a big weakness.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Holland will do very well to make it out of the group,though I'm not holding my breath.:eek:

A lot of us are hoping for an embarrassing, early exit, so that we can get rid of van Marwijk. The Dutch team is playing far below its potential, and not in a manner that most Dutch fans want to see, which is entirely down to the manager.:(

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Rechtschreibfehler said:
Maybe if DeJong and Van Bommel get sent off in the fist match ( which isn't entirely impossible with those two ;) ) you'll have to play a bit more beautiful again.
It does hurt a lot to see a Dutch side playing dirty football.

They might play beautiful soccer again but they would most likely get knocked out. They need de jong and van bommel to dominate the midfield and win balls for their attackers (van persie, robben, sneijder...) to get the ball

Amsterhammer said:
Holland will do very well to make it out of the group,though I'm not holding my breath.:eek:

A lot of us are hoping for an embarrassing, early exit, so that we can get rid of van Marwijk. The Dutch team is playing far below its potential, and not in a manner that most Dutch fans want to see, which is entirely down to the manager.:(

The dutch may be playing dirty football, but they were only a Arjan Robben tap in away from world cup glory in 2010. Your great teams of the 90s and early 2000s always lost in the Semis. Playing with two defensive Mids isn't necessarily a bad thing. It allows your more attacking players greater freedom.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Since the lack of Belgium in the last big tournaments, I support the Dutch.
Although I think Germany will take this.

The Netherlands lack a decent defense. (If we only could combine Belgian defense with Dutch offense!)

TRENDING THREADS