Eurosport commentary

Page 101 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Does anyone know who commentated the CEGOR on Eurosport Player (English feed)? I don't recall it sounding like Stephens, and I've watched a few GCN videos, so I'd think I kinda know what he sounds like by now... or maybe it was just because it was the middle of the night, so I didn't really notice.
Dunno what Kirby is supposed to sound like.
 
Re:

RedheadDane said:
Does anyone know who commentated the CEGOR on Eurosport Player (English feed)? I don't recall it sounding like Stephens, and I've watched a few GCN videos, so I'd think I kinda know what he sounds like by now... or maybe it was just because it was the middle of the night, so I didn't really notice.
Dunno what Kirby is supposed to sound like.
According to Argyll Flyer's post it was Kirby and Stephens.
 
Tonton said:
I usually enjoy the english-speaking broadcasts, I put up with the mistakes, bias, but there's nothing to be mad about, really. Call me lenient :eek: .

In France, it looks like Adam is out. Not that I get much of his broadcasts, but when I do, yikes...he sucks. Good riddance.
I don't remember him pronouncing "Kišerlovski" right once. He always added an odd "s" before "lovski".
 
Trying to pick a dream Kirby GT team,

GC Leader
Reichenbach

Mountain support
Wout Poels
Dan Martin
Darwin Atapuma
Louis Meintjes

Hardmen
Vasili Kiriyenka
Ian Stannard

Stage Hunters
Stephen Cummings
Si Clarke
 
Re:

Nirvana said:
Het Nieuwsblad will have 45 minutes less coverage than last year on Bike Channel.
I fear that with Gent Wevelgem will be more the loss of live coverage, last year Bike Channel started at 13:00.
I'd prefer less coverage that's viewable than the blurry pixelated mess that is BIKE's output usually.
 
Re: Re:

argyllflyer said:
Nirvana said:
Het Nieuwsblad will have 45 minutes less coverage than last year on Bike Channel.
I fear that with Gent Wevelgem will be more the loss of live coverage, last year Bike Channel started at 13:00.
I'd prefer less coverage that's viewable than the blurry pixelated mess that is BIKE's output usually.
No HD in UK?
In Italy you need the subscription to the HD channels pack if you want to see Bike Channel.
 
Re: Re:

Nirvana said:
argyllflyer said:
Nirvana said:
Het Nieuwsblad will have 45 minutes less coverage than last year on Bike Channel.
I fear that with Gent Wevelgem will be more the loss of live coverage, last year Bike Channel started at 13:00.
I'd prefer less coverage that's viewable than the blurry pixelated mess that is BIKE's output usually.
No HD in UK?
In Italy you need the subscription to the HD channels pack if you want to see Bike Channel.
There is no HD version of Bike in the UK unfortunately, at least not on the Sky platform, even with the HD pack. To be fair, Eurosport's non-HD picture is poor also but at least I have the HD with it!
 
May 25, 2009
403
0
0
Re:

barmaher said:
Trying to pick a dream Kirby GT team,

GC Leader
Reichenbach

Mountain support
Wout Poels
Dan Martin
Darwin Atapuma
Louis Meintjes

Hardmen
Vasili Kiriyenka
Ian Stannard

Stage Hunters
Stephen Cummings
Si Clarke
You need Juan Antonio Flecha for the sprints
 
Re: Re:

William H said:
barmaher said:
Trying to pick a dream Kirby GT team,

GC Leader
Reichenbach

Mountain support
Wout Poels
Dan Martin
Darwin Atapuma
Louis Meintjes

Hardmen
Vasili Kiriyenka
Ian Stannard

Stage Hunters
Stephen Cummings
Si Clarke
You need Juan Antonio Flecha for the sprints
I think Flecha's a protected rider these days the way he's carried through tricky moments by Ashley House on Giro/Tour/Vuelta Extra!
 
Feb 6, 2016
1,213
0
0
Re:

barmaher said:
Trying to pick a dream Kirby GT team,

GC Leader
Reichenbach

Mountain support
Wout Poels
Dan Martin
Darwin Atapuma
Louis Meintjes

Hardmen
Vasili Kiriyenka
Ian Stannard

Stage Hunters
Stephen Cummings
Si Clarke
Nononononono, Kirby talks about little Louis Meintjes with the ferocity of a lover jilted at the altar, since he abandoned his mate Brian at Dimension Data. The traitor.
 
On British Eurosport, the commentaries were rather good in my opinion. Declan Quigley or Rob Hatch with Magnus Backstedt are good pairings. Backstedt's knowledge from racing these races and living in the area is brilliant, because apart from Dan Lloyd, who rarely does the eurosport comms, he is the most recent ex pro to ride them. The fact that Quigley and Hatch both actually talk about the racing and tactics make them better than Kirby for the classics season.
 
Re: Re:

Cannibal72 said:
barmaher said:
Trying to pick a dream Kirby GT team,

GC Leader
Reichenbach

Mountain support
Wout Poels
Dan Martin
Darwin Atapuma
Louis Meintjes

Hardmen
Vasili Kiriyenka
Ian Stannard

Stage Hunters
Stephen Cummings
Si Clarke
Nononononono, Kirby talks about little Louis Meintjes with the ferocity of a lover jilted at the altar, since he abandoned his mate Brian at Dimension Data. The traitor.
Agree ...Kirby now cannot wait to get a dig in about Meintjes and portends doom and gloom for him with relish at UAE...Hence why I can never like Kirby There si such an element of venom underneath his fake bon hommie

Take TJ Van Garderen ...Kirby saw him in a bad mood once last year and lets face it TJ has had little to smile about . But what does Kirby do ...every time he sees TJ on screen he lambasted him as a nasty character ...very unfair and uncalled for. Many riders are difficult when they are going badly ...They are competetive athletes

Si Clarke had the misfortune to chat nicely with Kirby in a bar once ......now he is cursed

Reichenbach, Clarke, Froome, Attapuma , Cummings, Cav, Devolver, Kiriyenka and Kudus are his current favourites
 
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Kirby is just a little boy who love bikes. You can really feel how in to it he is. Whenever he is on, I enjoy listening to him.
To me it seems like he's not into it at all. If he bothered about the racing, you'd expect him to do at least a tiny bit of research. It seems like he just loves hearing his own voice.
 
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Kirby is just a little boy who love bikes. You can really feel how in to it he is. Whenever he is on, I enjoy listening to him.
I agree. I like listening to Kirby. Sure, he makes mistakes but pretty much everyone does when they're trying to pick out riders. I'm not saying he's the best but I've certainly listened to guys who made fewer mistakes that bored me to tears.
 
I don't have a massive issue with his mistakes. Some of them seem incredible, but I am sure I would make different mistakes, but just as bad.

Maybe you could expect more from a professional commentator, but his enthusiasm makes up for it.

For me, it is the obsession with certain riders. I can kind of understand the Si Clarke thing a bit. MSR could be won by a rider of his characteristics if everything falls into place, and his team might give him the leeway to go into breaks and win it.

But the Reichenbach thing is really weird. In the Ruta del Sol, he was stating that Pinot was working for Reinchenbach up to the last few kilometres of the Pena del Aguila stage despite.all evidence to the contrary. It was the same a few times last year including (incredibly) the early stages of the Tour before Pinot bombed.
 
I remember Kirby having an obsession with Jens Keukeleire a couple of seasons back. It was in Eneco Tour I think, he was mentioning his name like every 30s. But strangely this didn't last like the Reichenbach, Clarke and Atapuma thing. Poor Jens :(

The thing I most dislike about Kirby is when he completely ignores some riders that made an attack just because he doesn't recognise them. I'll give you an example. You have about 30 riders in the favourites group on a final climb and a rider who is not among the pre-race top favourites, attacks and is being followed by another rider of similar calibre. Kirby often when he doesn't recognise the riders avoids mentioning them and instead talks about other riders in the group. For example, "Oh, things are starting to get serious now. Valverde is there, Aru is there, Bardet is looking lively as well. I wonder what Louis Meintjes can do on a day like this." Then finally Backstedt, Stephens or whoever the second commentator is, mention what is actually happening in the race. And there are plenty of other circumstances where Kirby tries to hide his poor knowledge with talking nonsense or just with things that aren't relevant in that moment.

I don't have a problem with not recognising the riders. It's extremely difficult to know them all if you can't see their number. But I really don't like when he avoids mentioning them at all, because he tries to hide the fact that he doesn't recognise them. At least mention their team.

I do like his enthusiasm and that's why I still like to listen to him at times.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY