• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 103 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Squire said:
movingtarget said:
johnymax said:
Kirby:"Italian sheep...they...they just don't look the best. I don't know why." :lol:

Must have been a long flat stage ?
That is absolutely no prerequisite for such a Kirby quote.

Yes I know. Kirby is much better than me in commenting on the mundane. If I saw a sheep I would not comment but I have worked with a few and those ones were not worth commenting on either................

the delgados said:
Swiss Tony said:
Kirby is just a con artist, anyone who thinks he's a fan or a lovely of cycling are fools. Everyone must realise since he moved from motorsports when given this job due to other circumstances he's talked like he knows what he's talking about when he's no knowledge what so ever.. What a f*c€ing Pr!ck

Hey, Hey!
I'm afraid I must insist you refrain from dissing Carlton Kirby. The man is a legend among mere mortals.
He calls the back-end of a bike race like no others and fills dead air like a seasoned raconteur.
Take it easy on Kirby and give the man the lurving he deserves.

Em no !!

Whatever his commentating abilities he is nasty about some riders

What he said yesterday about Nibali was uncalled for and he makes s*** up to improve the image of his favourites and knock those he doesn't like,,,,,He is a biased tool

HelloDolly said:
the delgados said:
Swiss Tony said:
Kirby is just a con artist, anyone who thinks he's a fan or a lovely of cycling are fools. Everyone must realise since he moved from motorsports when given this job due to other circumstances he's talked like he knows what he's talking about when he's no knowledge what so ever.. What a f*c€ing Pr!ck

Hey, Hey!
I'm afraid I must insist you refrain from dissing Carlton Kirby. The man is a legend among mere mortals.
He calls the back-end of a bike race like no others and fills dead air like a seasoned raconteur.

Em no !!

What he said yesterday about Nibali was uncalled for and he makes s*** up to improve the image of his favourites and knock those he doesn't like,,,,,He is a biased tool

Did he say Nibali sold his soul to work for a dictator who is known to torture those who advocate for democracy? Did he say his boss is responsible for wire-tapping journalists who simply want to tell a story?
If so, I like the guy even more.
If not, he's a guy who calls a bike race.
No need for the hate, imo.

Re:

TMP402 said:
Sean Kelly pronounces Izagirre izzy-gah-ree !!

Sean Kelly's take on the English language, and the pronunciation of non-English names, is worthy of a thread of its own. He will be telling us all about Haynneoh's victory in Paris Nice this afternoon.

They should match him and Declan Quigley (he of the massacred over adoption of accents that are not his own) in the commentary booth and let them argue it out.

The thing that gets me most about Kellyisms is the adoption of French and Spanish terms, with absolutely no concession to pronunciation, hence classements (instead of the perfectly normal English word 'classifications') with no hint of any French vowel sounds, and riders not being able to support hot weather (Soportar in Spanish means to be able to put up with something).

Armchair cyclist said:
TMP402 said:
Sean Kelly pronounces Izagirre izzy-gah-ree !!

Sean Kelly's take on the English language, and the pronunciation of non-English names, is worthy of a thread of its own. H will be telling us all about Haynneoh's victory in Paris Nice this afternoon.

They should match him and Declan Quigley (he of the massacred over adoption of accents that are not his own) in the commentary booth and let them argue it out.

The thing that gets me most about Kellyisms is the adoption of French and Spanish terms, with absolutely no concession to pronunciation, hence classements with no hint of any French vowel sounds, and riders not being able to support hot weather (Soportar in Spanish means to be able to put up with something).
I thought that was Rob Hatch, who he is doing the Paris Nice with?

With Carlton Kirby no longer doing the RCS Sport international coverage with Daniel Lloyd, will he be doing the Giro instead of Hatch? I'm only asking, because he has done Abu Dhabi, Strade Bianche and now Tirreno Adriatico which are organised by RCS.

the delgados said:
HelloDolly said:
the delgados said:
Swiss Tony said:

Hey, Hey!

Em no !!

Did he say Nibali sold his soul to work for a dictator who is known to torture those who advocate for democracy? Did he say his boss is responsible for wire-tapping journalists who simply want to tell a story?
If so, I like the guy even more.
If not, he's a guy who calls a bike race.
No need for the hate, imo.

First of all I don't hate anyone .... you cannot dislike someone nowadys but you are called a hater . I have an opinion about Kirby and I am entitled to it as I pay for Eurosport

He is a disgrace as a commentator ....that is my opinion and it is valid

As for Niabli ...his remarks on Nbali were personal , had nothing to do with his team , and were uncalled for ....He never questioned any other Bahrain riders nor did he take the high horse of why Bahrain is so much worse than say Russia who murder their enemies or say USA who have a facist , sexist racist in power.....

Kirby is not there to pass political judgement on teams and I didn't either ...you made it so

His remarks on Niabli were uncalled for and unsubstaniated and were about his personality as are his constant put down on TJ van Garderen coupled with his over the top hype of riders like Simon Clarke or Sebastian Reicenbach

The man is a buffoon and destroyes my pleasure of watching cycling

Yesteday he said ..." Sky had ran out of options " when they had Kwait up the road and Thomas sitting pretty
On the final he said he can't tell us what one rider said ....but it was 'eem off' ..he had no way of knowing what any rider says but he pretends as if he does and treats us like fools

he contantly bombards us with his theories than make no sense ...like Clarke winning MSR and talks as if it the best punditary

He uses over the top grandiose terms that take from the observers enoyment of the race and which make little sense while not understandign the flow of the race yet pretneding as if he can read minds, lips and has insider knowledge ...

He is the worst kind of commentator ...dishonest and bias

I could go on and on

But hey I am just a hater :razz:

Re:

frisenfruitig said:
"The home of cycling", more like a bit of cycling in between advertising. I prefer to watch the TA at l'équipe.

Adverts pay Eurosport's costs and keep them in business: Eurosport's contributions to the broadcast rights income is a significant part of what pays race organisers' costs and keeps them in business.

If we accept a capitalist system, I can't understand objections to companies generating income. It would be nice if my mortgage company were to decide that they don't need any money from me in respect of providing the service of giving us a roof over our heads, but I can't moan if they do.

Armchair cyclist said:
Nirvana said:
They said that they are "The home of cycling" but today no live coverage of Tirreno and only one hour of P-N with the best designed stages where we could expect everything in both races :rolleyes:

????
I have TA from 12:30 until 3:15, and PN from 3:00 to 4:15 according to my EPG.
Probably it's only on British Eurosport, here it's different.

Eurosport 1:
12:30-13:30 skiing
13:30-14:15 biathlon
14:15-16:00 ski jumping
Only from 16:00 PN for an hour and then another hour of deferred coverage for TA

Eurosport 2:
12:00-13:30 snowboard
13:30-14:00 snooker
14:00-14:30 watts
14:30-15:00 fifa football
15:00-17:00 female rugby

Armchair cyclist said:
frisenfruitig said:
"The home of cycling", more like a bit of cycling in between advertising. I prefer to watch the TA at l'équipe.

Adverts pay Eurosport's costs and keep them in business: Eurosport's contributions to the broadcast rights income is a significant part of what pays race organisers' costs and keeps them in business.

If we accept a capitalist system, I can't understand objections to companies generating income. It would be nice if my mortgage company were to decide that they don't need any money from me in respect of providing the service of giving us a roof over our heads, but I can't moan if they do.

It's not that I don't get why they do it, but I don't have to pretend it doesn't annoy me right? I personally don't watch Eurosport unless I have no other choice, luckily I'm rather spoiled in that regard here in Belgium. Even if Sporza isn't broadcasting I prefer to watch l'équipe or even RAI (even though I don't speak Italian). I feel like they take advertising to the extreme over at Eurosport. They even had a commercial break at 35 km to go during Strade Bianche lol

Dumb question: Why does Eurosport not give us information on things during the stage like the current (after the previous stage) GC standings?

It seems like it would make for better coverage to do what seems like obvious details that I'm used to seeing in all coverage of other sports in American TV... like:

Giving more updates on the current racing situation.
Telling us what the objectives of each team might be for this race.
Why is *insert team* at the front?
What is the current GC standings?
How much time does *insert rider* need on *insert rider* to take 1st/2nd/etc?
What did *insert rider* do in past similar situations?
Telling us who is crossing the line at the finish and what it means for the GC, rather than telling us to look it up online ourselves later today, like the commentator said days ago lol

I'm not knowledgeable at all but the commentators are often even far more clueless than I am. A recent stage race for example that Quintana won with a MTF win weeks ago. For most of the climb the commentary made it sound like the race was over, that Quintana was a lock. Ignoring the fact that he needed a good chunk of time on a certain rider who ended up losing the GC by something like only 10 seconds in the end.

Is the coverage meant only for cycling experts, who already know all of this information? Do people care about having better coverage? ES communicates on Twitter etc. Do people ask them for improvements?

just edited to add: watching Matthew Keenan's commentary on Paris-Nice right now, and from the start he is communicating very differently from what I'm used to with ES. Very clear in telling the race situation.

frisenfruitig said:
Armchair cyclist said:
frisenfruitig said:

It's not that I don't get why they do it, but I don't have to pretend it doesn't annoy me right? I personally don't watch Eurosport unless I have no other choice, luckily I'm rather spoiled in that regard here in Belgium. Even if Sporza isn't broadcasting I prefer to watch l'équipe or even RAI (even though I don't speak Italian). I feel like they take advertising to the extreme over at Eurosport. They even had a commercial break at 35 km to go during Strade Bianche lol
I prefer those much short ad breaks on Eurosport over the annoyingly long ones of L'Equipe tbh. That was extremely annoying both during Strade Bianche and yesterday's T-A stage.

Re:

spiritualride said:
Dumb question: Why does Eurosport not give us information on things during the stage like the current (after the previous stage) GC standings?

It seems like it would make for better coverage to do what seems like obvious details that I'm used to seeing in all coverage of other sports in American TV... like:

Giving more updates on the current racing situation.
Telling us what the objectives of each team might be for this race.
Why is *insert team* at the front?
What is the current GC standings?
How much time does *insert rider* need on *insert rider* to take 1st/2nd/etc?
What did *insert rider* do in past similar situations?
Telling us who is crossing the line at the finish and what it means for the GC, rather than telling us to look it up online ourselves later today, like the commentator said days ago lol

I'm not knowledgeable at all but the commentators are often even far more clueless than I am. A recent stage race for example that Quintana won with a MTF win weeks ago. For most of the climb the commentary made it sound like the race was over, that Quintana was a lock. Ignoring the fact that he needed a good chunk of time on a certain rider who ended up losing the GC by something like only 10 seconds in the end.

Is the coverage meant only for cycling experts, who already know all of this information? Do people care about having better coverage? ES communicates on Twitter etc. Do people ask them for improvements?

I agree that such information could be nice/interesting. However, ES can only show what they're being given from the race.

In general on screen graphics are poor but I am really not a fan of the Tour Tracker / info bar which scrolls along the bottom of the screen at some of the US races. Being continually reminded of these things is complete overkill as it's not selective.

Eurosport do their own graphical inserts sometimes and I guess they could do that more but as noted above, they show what the company producing the braodcast puts out, hence the wide variety of quality, even down to things like distance to go and time gaps.

On whether Kirby does the Giro or not, he didn't do it last year despite being available (last year was his first being with Europort for the full season) so perhaps it's not on his list of allocated events. I'd guess it will be Hatch/Kelly.

Re:

RedheadDane said:
RE advert-breaks:
I don't have anything against the breaks as such, I just wish they'd be a little better at warning us. And by "they" I mean the producers, not the commentators who are often just as much taken aback by it.

Some of the commentators are quite disdainful of breaks too, saying "let's get another one out of the way".