Eurosport commentary

Page 118 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Just to be clear, I never said my friend has become a cycling fan because of my man Carlton Kirby.
I was saying that Carlton Kirby lights a spark that brings us all together!
CK has analysts like Sean Kelly and me to provide proper perspective to my buddy and correct my man Carlton Kirby when he gets too excited. It's all in good fun, Hello Dolly.
Ha ha ha....
 
The best commentary pairing in the English language is Millar and Boulting. Then Hatch and anyone else. The idea it is necessary to suffer Kirby as part of being a cycling fan is insulting and patently nonsense.
 
Eurosport UK had Roland Garros on both channels today with delayed covfefe from 6:30 of the Dauphiné. Except its raining so both channels are showing nothing while the cycling is live. I don't know why they haven't thought on their feet and put the cycling on a channel.
 
Aug 21, 2011
468
0
9,280
What is annoying me about Eurosport at the moment is the increasing number of races or stages of races they are putting on Eurosport player. I already pay to watch Eurosport on Sky so why would I pay for the player?
 
mariposa said:
What is annoying me about Eurosport at the moment is the increasing number of races or stages of races they are putting on Eurosport player. I already pay to watch Eurosport on Sky so why would I pay for the player?
Bottom line is that they have more rights than capacity to show them. On a weekend, it's not uncommon to see 5 or 6 different events being shown live on the Player at one time, with only two of them live on TV.
 
Re: Re:

argyllflyer said:
Nirvana said:
The rights for Tour the Suisse are pan european or only for UK?
I can't find it on the Sky tv guide
Not sure though ES do have it on their player live too.

It's on about 6.30pm on Saturday night UK time, so 7.30pm on mainland Europe if it was on.
Nothing also from monday after the end of Roland Garros, and they have only ATP Stuttgart live so it's not a problem of filled programmation.
 
mariposa said:
What is annoying me about Eurosport at the moment is the increasing number of races or stages of races they are putting on Eurosport player. I already pay to watch Eurosport on Sky so why would I pay for the player?
For some races also the limited coverage is annoying, in the last week of april was terrible with Tour de Yorkshire showed only half an hour per day and Romandie around an hour (a couple of stages 45 minutes) when last year we had three hours on Bike Channel for the same race (but also Flanders Classics had less coverage than last year when were on Bike Channel).

And maybe on the other hand they'll show the full coverage for boring flat stages of the Tour in july :rolleyes:
 
Re:

RedheadDane said:
That's why I said sometimes.
Of course those "We gotta show this tennis match, even though it's rain-delayed and all we're showing is an empty court!" situations are just plain silly.
I know. But conversely there have been plenty of occasions when they've persisted with cycling coverage that was beign disrupted by the weather or a cheap-as-chips outside broadcast set-up. The only time ES will pull coverage altogether is if the host broadcaster gives up - I can think of a few Giro stages where they started and did not finish, fogbound Le Samyn in 2013, possibly one of the Canadian races in 2016? But there have been countless stages interrupted by loss of signal, shots of the finish line etc... with very little cycling shown.
 
Re: Re:

argyllflyer said:
RedheadDane said:
That's why I said sometimes.
Of course those "We gotta show this tennis match, even though it's rain-delayed and all we're showing is an empty court!" situations are just plain silly.
I know. But conversely there have been plenty of occasions when they've persisted with cycling coverage that was beign disrupted by the weather or a cheap-as-chips outside broadcast set-up. The only time ES will pull coverage altogether is if the host broadcaster gives up - I can think of a few Giro stages where they started and did not finish, fogbound Le Samyn in 2013, possibly one of the Canadian races in 2016? But there have been countless stages interrupted by loss of signal, shots of the finish line etc... with very little cycling shown.
I think also a stage in the Vuelta that finished in Andorra and a stage of the the Tour of Catalunya. Both because of heavy rain or fog. In that vuelta stage, the descent off a climb and the final climb were shown. However in the Tour of Catalunya, it ended up being a kilometre sprint between Pozzovivo and Van Garderen with the static cameras.
 
Re: Re:

lemon cheese cake said:
argyllflyer said:
RedheadDane said:
That's why I said sometimes.
Of course those "We gotta show this tennis match, even though it's rain-delayed and all we're showing is an empty court!" situations are just plain silly.
I know. But conversely there have been plenty of occasions when they've persisted with cycling coverage that was beign disrupted by the weather or a cheap-as-chips outside broadcast set-up. The only time ES will pull coverage altogether is if the host broadcaster gives up - I can think of a few Giro stages where they started and did not finish, fogbound Le Samyn in 2013, possibly one of the Canadian races in 2016? But there have been countless stages interrupted by loss of signal, shots of the finish line etc... with very little cycling shown.
I think also a stage in the Vuelta that finished in Andorra and a stage of the the Tour of Catalunya. Both because of heavy rain or fog. In that vuelta stage, the descent off a climb and the final climb were shown. However in the Tour of Catalunya, it ended up being a kilometre sprint between Pozzovivo and Van Garderen with the static cameras.
Spain's a theme - Catalunya seems to have issues most years with the relay. And up at San Sebastian, the year Adam yates won not much other than that last few km were shown.
 
Re: Re:

argyllflyer said:
lemon cheese cake said:
argyllflyer said:
RedheadDane said:
That's why I said sometimes.
Of course those "We gotta show this tennis match, even though it's rain-delayed and all we're showing is an empty court!" situations are just plain silly.
I know. But conversely there have been plenty of occasions when they've persisted with cycling coverage that was beign disrupted by the weather or a cheap-as-chips outside broadcast set-up. The only time ES will pull coverage altogether is if the host broadcaster gives up - I can think of a few Giro stages where they started and did not finish, fogbound Le Samyn in 2013, possibly one of the Canadian races in 2016? But there have been countless stages interrupted by loss of signal, shots of the finish line etc... with very little cycling shown.
I think also a stage in the Vuelta that finished in Andorra and a stage of the the Tour of Catalunya. Both because of heavy rain or fog. In that vuelta stage, the descent off a climb and the final climb were shown. However in the Tour of Catalunya, it ended up being a kilometre sprint between Pozzovivo and Van Garderen with the static cameras.
Spain's a theme - Catalunya seems to have issues most years with the relay. And up at San Sebastian, the year Adam yates won not much other than that last few km were shown.
Yeah, now I think about it, the stage at the Giro in 2012 to the Jafferau is the only other one I can think of. Though a stage of the US Pro Challenge had problems broadcasting pictures after heavy rain and the race being stopped. But that just entailed pictures of the race for few seconds, then picture break up, then a what effectively became a webcam of the finish.
 
Re:

Red Rick said:
I don't mind Kirby if it comes down to a sprint in the last 150m. Otherwise, he needs to go
Hey, hey!
If I was a moderator you'd get a perma-ban for your outrageous comment.
Did you not listen to the excellent commentary provided by my man Carlton Kirby on stage 6 of the Criterium Du Dauphine?
His description of the epic descent was edge-of-your-seat, oh by golly, brilliant stuff.
Don't make me come back here to rebut the nonsense spewed by those who don't appreciate the brilliance of my man Carlton Kirby.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY