Eurosport commentary

Page 189 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Who's the guy who often works with Worre (I don't mean Wenzel)?
I think his name is Rasmus Rothmann Pedersen or something to that effect. He is not a good commentator, I wonder how he got that gig.

On the other hand, I feel sad for all you foreigners who don't get the chance to acquiant yourself with Bastian Emil Goldschmidt. What a character. He looks like a 20-year-old (is probably older), he knows everything about cycling history and history in general (at least in Italy) and has a beautiful language to boot. Such a gift to Kanal 5's coverage which is absolutely top notch.

And Netserk, my only problem with Bay is that he can't keep the reins on Holm when he (Holm) wants to drift a little too far from the race at hand. Otherwise, he is probably my favourite commentator (or maybe Rolf or Ritter, it's difficult to decide) but also the one I have heard the most by far. And a week ago, I heard he was on his 57th consecutive Grand Tour by his own count. Not bad for a 51-year-old former pro.

I think his name is Rasmus Rothmann Pedersen or something to that effect. He is not a good commentator, I wonder how he got that gig.
Apparently he's involved with La Flamme Rouge (Holm's charity foundation, not the other one), so that might have something to do with it.

And Netserk, my only problem with Bay is that he can't keep the reins on Holm when he (Holm) wants to drift a little too far from the race at hand. Otherwise, he is probably my favourite commentator (or maybe Rolf or Ritter, it's difficult to decide) but also the one I have heard the most by far. And a week ago, I heard he was on his 57th consecutive Grand Tour by his own count. Not bad for a 51-year-old former pro.
He didn't have the longest career though, but still a pretty impressive feat.
After listening to British Eurosport a lot, I assume he gets it wrong when he pronounces Grenadiers in French (if he still does that). although you could argue that it's alright to do so.
I also know that some people have complained about him chewing into the microphone, but I've been more bothered by/concerned with Holm sometimes sounding like he has having a heart attack

Apparently he's involved with La Flamme Rouge (Holm's charity foundation, not the other one), so that might have something to do with it.

He didn't have the longest career though, but still a pretty impressive feat.
After listening to British Eurosport a lot, I assume he gets it wrong when he pronounces Grenadiers in French (if he still does that). although you could argue that it's alright to do so.
Bay is not the greatest when it comes to pronunciations. I have a lot of fun with a couple of my friends with his continuous misunderstanding of the umlaut (he completely ignores it in names such as Küng, Pöstlberger, Mühlberger, Brändle (which becomes Brandel) etc. It reached a new height yesterday, when he pronounced Schurter as if it had a ü). And he has his problems with French names too. But I guess he has just become the voice of cycling for me.

Reactions: Sandisfan
You know that I too highly cherish Bastian Emil Goldschmidt, who is not just well spoken, but with a pleasant voice and pleasant manners in general. And while he will primarily look out for the archetypical images that cycling provides and how the action unfolding fits a grander narrative, he is ready to change gears and join the discussion of the tactical aspect of the race quite aptly. He is from 1992 BTW.

This happens when your colleagues are so tired of your constant babbling, they just zone out and ignore you.
Ha! Thanks for explaining the joke, just in case it wasn't clear enough.

By the way, is it just me, or do others get the sense that Sean Kelly has a bounce in his step?
I've always got a kick out of Sean Kelly for various reasons, but he seems to be more animated lately, and it suits him very well.
Yesterday he actually made a funny when referring to Filippo Ganna as Filippo Kawasaki. Geddit?! Filippo Kawasaki? Guys...? You there?

p.s. I don't know why I'm watching a stage with 115 km's remaining, but Rob's colleagues are great. Hannah is cool and collected while the other guy is cracking wise. Cameras caught a big fat guy wearing a bikini and life preserver who was chasing the break.
I don't know his name (Dan Lloyd?) but after a brief pause, the guy said "Not what I remember watching Baywatch." Nice one, bro!

No. As far as I can see she's an author (children's books), journalist and moderator. As far as I can see her qualification really isn't much better than mine. She does have a nice voice, like I said, although that constant laugh in her voice can sound a bit forced with time.
She keeps out of the real race stuff most of the time, but when she doesn't she doesn't sound like she knows much, and today, when the action started on the descent she asked "is now the time for some stories and myths or is it a bit... (unfitting)...?"
She's polite, but... ugh...

I would love to have a good female commentary voice there, but to have a woman just so that you also have a woman's voice there, and giving her the boulevard stuff, that's annoying.

Voigt and Aldag have become my favourite commentary couple though, they go lovely together. Voigt always totally enthusiastic, lively, brings anecdotes, animates the commentary, very emphatic and honest, but often talking bs in terms of facts and tactics, while Aldag is the most neutral commentator I have ever heard, no modulation in his voice, no enthusiasm when Mäder wins, no pain when Landa is out... but he's pretty precise, knows the stuff and offers facts and clear assessments.
And I love how he always corrects Voigt without letting it sound like he corrects him, like he just adds something.
I need to apologize, mixed her up (I'm not good at recognizing voices :(). I still think she doesn't know that much about cycling.

Edit: Apparently didn't mix her up after all.

Last edited:
Can't believe anyone anywhere would not enjoy and appreciate Dan Lloyd's race commentary.. His tone, knowledge and easy going style is the perfect accompaniment to the sport we all love...

Just ask that Eurosport please please please keep Carlton Kirby well away
I agree that Dan Lloyd is doing a great job. Not only is he easy on the ears, he provides a unique perspective that includes knowledge and insight, combined with a slight bit of self deprecation that doesn't go overboard to the point of being pathetic. He and Hannah are the real deal.
p.s. Please keep my man Carlton out of this, m'kay? He brings stuff that others lack.

p.s. Please keep my man Carlton out of this, m'kay? He brings stuff that others lack.
Seeing it's a thread about Eurosport Commentators I wont keep Carlton Kirby out of this... He brings absolutely nothing but regular annoying cr@p... that neither adds or enhances my viewing experience... Had to abandon coverage of the Hungarian Race when he started spouting his drivel.

Seeing it's a thread about Eurosport Commentators I wont keep Carlton Kirby out of this... He brings absolutely nothing but regular annoying cr@p... that neither adds or enhances my viewing experience... Had to abandon coverage of the Hungarian Race when he started spouting his drivel.
Sigh. Ok, Swiss Tony, go ahead. It's a free internet and all. I'm sure my man CK will get over the torrent of abuse. Eventually. After round-the-clock-therapy sessions.
I'm sure one day he will realize we're talking about a bike race, not the Cuban Missile Crisis.
Have at it, Swiss Tony. Vent that anger, old chap.Get it out of your system.

By the way, is it just me, or do others get the sense that Sean Kelly has a bounce in his step?
I've always got a kick out of Sean Kelly for various reasons, but he seems to be more animated lately, and it suits him very well.
Yesterday he actually made a funny when referring to Filippo Ganna as Filippo Kawasaki. Geddit?! Filippo Kawasaki? Guys...? You there?
I think Kelly enjoys working with Hatch more than he does with your hero.
And/or he's got a grip on the technology and is well into OBS or whatever programme ES is using,

Reactions: Wyndbrook

Wasn't as good as his reference to Gavira "starting his sprint even earlier than yesterday" when he accelerated away from the breakaway group - only to crash a short while later.

I think Kelly enjoys working with Hatch more than he does with your hero.
And/or he's got a grip on the technology and is well into OBS or whatever programme ES is using,
Great point.
I've said it before that my man CK and Sean Kelly go together like oil and water; they should never be paired together.
One gets the sense that Kelly wants to punch the guy out for using metaphors and references to literature as a segway to get him to talk.
I'm beginning to think that maybe I'm the only one who finds it amusing.
But yeah, Kelly is super amped at the Giro and it's great to hear.

Great point.
I've said it before that my man CK and Sean Kelly go together like oil and water; they should never be paired together.
One gets the sense that Kelly wants to punch the guy out for using metaphors and references to literature as a segway to get him to talk.
I'm beginning to think that maybe I'm the only one who finds it amusing.
But yeah, Kelly is super amped at the Giro and it's great to hear.
I'll never forget "do you reckon they are waiting for Godot, Sean?"

Kirby and Dan Lloyd seem to get on well together. I think they both enjoy a drink at the end of each stage.

Ladies and gentlemen, we are now on a rest day and it's time to take a breather. For those who miss the voice of my man CK, let me take you back to the Tour of Turkey. I think it will tide you over until the next time.
This clip personifies CK in all his glory. He makes a mistake but gets back on to the saddle and proceeds to call a memorable finale to an unusual finish. Brilliant.
Enjoy.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTkbgSbjHgQ

Last edited:
Can't believe anyone anywhere would not enjoy and appreciate Dan Lloyd's race commentary.. His tone, knowledge and easy going style is the perfect accompaniment to the sport we all love...

Just ask that Eurosport please please please keep Carlton Kirby well away
He's quite good but he mangles foreign names worse than Kirby lol

Hatch + Stephens/Kelly is still the best combination.

Just tuned in to Eurosport to hear Carlton Kirby call Abner Gonzalez the Peruvian champion. Only to then go into detail about the beautiful star on the Peruvian flag.
Is your mute button not working ? I tuned in fearing the worst but was ready with the mute button - fortunately managed to figure out who was commentating and deploy the mute button before getting to the end of the first sentence. Or if you have a pair of those noise-cancelling headphones that would also do the job

ASK THE COMMUNITY