• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Amusing tweet from David Harmon and a response:

@spokesmen 17 May
I've not actually seen a single day of the Giro, is it good? ;)

@dmyrcr 17 May
@spokesmen looks good, sounds crap.

@PatisserieCyc 17 May
@spokesmen please come back soon!!! Sean sounds like he’s losing the will to carry on

Seriously, someone quoting Wiki pages and saying "who's that?" every 30 seconds seriously grates after 15 days....

It's not only Eurosport it's the organiser's coverage who sometimes go for ages without giving a time gap and don't identify the riders on screen. Still not sure why Quigley kept calling Visconti in the lead and then kept calling Scarponi, Visconti. Very odd as they ride for different teams and look nothing like each other.

movingtarget said:
It's not only Eurosport it's the organiser's coverage who sometimes go for ages without giving a time gap and don't identify the riders on screen. Still not sure why Quigley kept calling Visconti in the lead and then kept calling Scarponi, Visconti. Very odd as they ride for different teams and look nothing like each other.

Yeah, Visconti attacking out of the peloton to chase down Visconti was my highlight.

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Yeah the Visconti brothers livened up the stage today.

Rob Hatch has been good doing the Tour of California, knows his stuff, wouldn't mind seeing him get a go at the Vuelta, assuming Harmon isn't doing it.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Even though Harmon wanted a break from the commentary, I'm still a bit surprised to hear he hasn't been watching any of the Giro. As he's still with Eurosport it should still be his job to keep up on all affairs cycling so when he comes back for the Tour he can inform the viewer to a sufficient level on results and a rider's form. So when the Tour now comes along and we say something has to be discussed about Wiggins, Harmon now can't refer in detail to anything of what he did in the Giro. I find this not good enough.

He's free to do what he wants in his spare time but if the commentary is going to go down a level as a result of all this, I would much rather Eurosport put Robert Hatch as primary commentator. He comes across in his commentary with more enthusiasm than Harmon anyway and has good in depth knowledge of the peloton where he delivers the information in good expressive terminology.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Pricey_sky said:
He does F1? Thank god not for Sky sports F1. He'd be constantly commentating on Buttons race and ignoring the other 21 drivers.

He was pit lane reporter and done the interviews on RTE in Ireland for F1. He later went to Setanta Ireland when they got the rights and became the main commentator there. These days he doesn't do it anymore as they use the international commentary with Coulthard and Ben Edwards instead. F1 and motorsport seems to be Declan's main interest although he has covered the Tour as a journalist before. To be fair he was a good commentator on the F1 as he had the in depth knowledge but he has been really found wanting here.

Quigley is the worst cycling commentator i have ever heard,bring back Harmon and his Fabian man-love,would take that any day over constantly mixing up riders names,disorientates the viewers and ruins the race,as others have said,how the hell can he get Visconti and Scarponi confused,one wears pink and one wears navy blue? He also thinks Visconti is Spanish then says "oh yeah,he's won some minor races like the Tour of Turkey" Misses the crucial element that its an Italian victory on home soil by the 3 time Italian road champion.Unforgivable.:eek:

OnTheDrops

BANNED
May 16, 2013
Visit site
gooner said:
Even though Harmon wanted a break from the commentary, I'm still a bit surprised to hear he hasn't been watching any of the Giro. As he's still with Eurosport it should still be his job to keep up on all affairs cycling so when he comes back for the Tour he can inform the viewer to a sufficient level on results and a rider's form. So when the Tour now comes along and we say something has to be discussed about Wiggins, Harmon now can't refer in detail to anything of what he did in the Giro. I find this not good enough.

He's free to do what he wants in his spare time but if the commentary is going to go down a level as a result of all this, I would much rather Eurosport put Robert Hatch as primary commentator. He comes across in his commentary with more enthusiasm than Harmon anyway and has good in depth knowledge of the peloton where he delivers the information in good expressive terminology.

Where did he say he hasn't been watching?

I don't think he is coming back for the tour.

Agree mostly on DQ. What grates the most is his odd insistence on referring it to "giro d'italia" rather than THE giro d'italia.

Strange how small inconsequential things really get on your nerves.

I actually like Harmon and Kirby. They may know jack but I like the rubbish they spout about the local pear harvests while I analyse the racing action....

Telmisartan new said:
Quigley is the worst cycling commentator i have ever heard,bring back Harmon and his Fabian man-love,would take that any day over constantly mixing up riders names,disorientates the viewers and ruins the race,as others have said,how the hell can he get Visconti and Scarponi confused,one wears pink and one wears navy blue? He also thinks Visconti is Spanish then says "oh yeah,he's won some minor races like the Tour of Turkey" Misses the crucial element that its an Italian victory on home soil by the 3 time Italian road champion.Unforgivable.:eek:

Was strange not to see the national flag bands on his sleeves though, you'd think he'd be proud of having won it three times. However it wasn't home soil as the win was in France, and I'd have thought that winning the UCI Europe Tour is pretty notable.

Will Carlton Kirby Explode?

Is it me or has Carlton Kirby started to sound like a horse racing commentator? His excited screaming when even a small attack takes place is driving me mad. I can see him haveing a heart attack if he carries on this way. Shame because I really enjoy listening to Dan Lloyd.

Harmon's 'knowledge'

gooner said:

EXACTLY !! Harmon should do some research in his time off.

I listened to Kirby shouting across Dan Lloyd on Sky Sports - what a disgrace that guy is. Dan Lloyd is talking and Kirby actually talked over him - terrible.

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
What winds me up about Quigley is his belief that time gaps go down when riders are going uphill and then go back up when they ride downhill. This is more than just saying the break will struggle on a climb. If a commentator doesn't understand the basics of the sport then he has no business doing the job.

Morbius said:
What winds me up about Quigley is his belief that time gaps go down when riders are going uphill and then go back up when they ride downhill. This is more than just saying the break will struggle on a climb. If a commentator doesn't understand the basics of the sport then he has no business doing the job.

At least he knows what a time gap is ....Harmon nor Kirby knows what a rear derailleur is.

Morbius said:

Oeioeioei, Paulo Martins has been doing that on Portuguese Eurosport for years.