• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 275 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
No doubt there are millions of Eurosport viewers who, like me, are gripped by the Prediction competitions between the studio presenters / pundits and tune in every day on the edge of their seats to find out who everyone has picked. The banter is absolutely unwatchable unmissable. Oh how we laughed when Dan Lloyd picked someone who wasn't even in the race. I do, however, think that we need a way to follow the competition more easily during the race. Can I suggest perhaps Eurosport could get the riders to wear different coloured jerseys if they are picked by one of the experts so that we can easily spot them during the race (e.g. Adam's pick could wear a Hawaiian shirt). Or at least have live on-screen graphics with the live time gaps between Orla's pick (hooray) and Robbie's pick (boooo)
infuriating Eurosport... really fkin annoying... pishing around in the studio with their own predictions 'ceremony', amongst other inane chat, whilst ignoring the actual podium presentations on-screen in the background.
Same story at TdF iirc - with all the choppy back & forth - but fortunately ITV4 are there give the full coverage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
infuriating Eurosport... really fkin annoying... pishing around in the studio with their own predictions 'ceremony', amongst other inane chat, whilst ignoring the actual podium presentations on-screen in the background.
Same story at TdF iirc - with all the choppy back & forth - but fortunately ITV4 are there give the full coverage.
Eurosport player had a separate stream where they showed the podium presentations and allowed you to avoid all that other stuff

Gross mis-reading of who their audience is. Make Dan Lloyd the main presenter, or at least the one who has editorial control: he is the only adult in the room on too many occasions. He knows how to be humourous without being infantile, to address an audience without patronising them.

I like Chris Boardman a lot but I'd take a 6 hour showreel of Adam Blythe running through a compendium of Geriant Thomas' greatest attacks over another minute of listening to Millar. Had enough of his nonsense when he was actually cycling.

I like Chris Boardman a lot but I'd take a 6 hour showreel of Adam Blythe running through a compendium of Geriant Thomas' greatest attacks over another minute of listening to Millar. Had enough of his nonsense when he was actually cycling.
Chris wasn't great on the Ride London Classique yesterday, tbf he had ridden the 60mile course before commentary,but they weren't watching the pictures properly or the actual race situation and combined with Simon Brothertons style of commentary which is basically all about identifying team kit colours and then quoting stats about those teams, he does football 90% of the year, I guess it shows Eurosport could be alot worse

Chris wasn't great on the Ride London Classique yesterday, tbf he had ridden the 60mile course before commentary,but they weren't watching the pictures properly or the actual race situation and combined with Simon Brothertons style of commentary which is basically all about identifying team kit colours and then quoting stats about those teams, he does football 90% of the year, I guess it shows Eurosport could be alot worse

Yeah you might be right tbf, haven't heard his commentary for long time as I've avoided ITV for years. The studio stuff with him and Imlach was always to the point though and whilst there was an extra focus on British riders they were never in awe of them like they are on ES.

I think my view of him is based on his character rather than commentary style, he's always walked the walk and gone to bat for cyclists in Britain against some nasty political forces and is a pretty effective media communicator, though unfortunately seems to be fighting a losing battle.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Absolutely Chris is normally a good sage voice to listen to on all topics cycling.

He just seemed distracted by the race this time and wasn't really providing clear comms on it.

Maybe it was more difficult because the camera coverage was appalling, more interested in aerial views of London and tourist sights.

But they just kept missing crucial parts of the race happening.

I haven't watched the Eurosport highlights to compare but it would interesting to see if they also had so much tunnel vision on Wiebes winning, they missed the battle for 2nd place too

Probably quite similar here with Finnish Eurosport. We’ve got a legend Peter Selin doing the races. He usually has his son or some retired pro or semi-pro (Jussi Veikkanen, Kimmo Kananen) with him.

I don’t particularly like the way in which some (English) commentators try to fill in and hype up every boring moment of the race. Like, we have eyes, you don’t need to tell us that someone is taking a turn or turning his/her pedals. Finnish style is more conversational during these periods.
Weirdly enough, one of the best of the Eurosport bunch for that filling-time-when-nothing's-happening kind of action is Jip van den Bos, precisely for the more conversational manner.

Unfortunately when there is action going on, she's terrible, so she's well down the totem pole when it comes to handing out the roles.

Production values, the better advert placement, & the commentary of course. (we can now tell what Sean is saying for example)

I dont know that its production values, technology is better for sure which makes it easier to show a stage like that now and make it not feel you were all watching it through a mud/rain filter.

that for me is probably the main difference, there were ad breaks Harmon was calling there that were perfectly placed, Seans cadence has slowed with the passing of time. the fake helicopter sound amused me as it sounded like theyd picked some american combat helicopter :)

but its the style of Eurosport I first started watching which was uncompromising in so far as they treated the viewer as someone interested enough to watch them, but it was upto you to pay attention and concentrate if you wanted to learn about the sport, they werent going to be going through a 101 of riders or rules all the time.

nowadays and I know Ive heard it said before with so many channels and the average viewer pauses for 5 secs on what theyre watching before channel hopping, theyve got 5secs to make you stay watching. which is why everyone has to be epic all the time to grab your attention.

its funny because Ive been watching alot of Roland Garros this week, you cant really avoid it in Eurosport at the moment, and its much more similar to that old school Eurosport approach that I like. measured commentary, well except when John McEnroe turns up (tbf he wasnt that bad, its that danger aspect and it didnt help he was in Paris, his co commentator was in the cube so there was always a delay between them) , no one hyping it to the n t all the time, no bantz, no one having to be corrected, all describing the games and players well.

their roving court reporter style bit works too, though having a duo probably helped as they can do back and forth with each other, rather than be too intense by themselves.

and even their cheesier version of the breakaway, kind of works better, though thank god they havent found the disco lights button for the cycling stuff yet.

so it is doable to get the balance right , even with modern Eurosport/discovery+/Max/digital platforms

Reactions: Izzyeviel
Right... does anyone know what is going on with ES this last fortnight? Two stages races with the commentator doing it alone (Cox & Kirby), and also a few one dayers as well with Been. Have they lost some co-commentators?
The Sun in the UK reported that a "sports presenter" was detained and questioned by the Police a couple of weeks ago. No names mentioned (because of legal reasons), so we await to hear more info.

The Sun in the UK reported that a "sports presenter" was detained and questioned by the Police a couple of weeks ago. No names mentioned (because of legal reasons), so we await to hear more info.

Looking at last year, the missing co commentary partner varies (so often the same pairings) and the people missing from last year have still done races this last month or so. It seems like cost cutting and it to me anyway makes the viewing a bit more monotonous.